Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Average Drive Times for 4x4 roads

• 7 Replies

Offline TexasTLC

• Jack Rabbit
Average Drive Times for 4x4 roads
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
I'm going to BBNP & BBRSP next week and I'm unable to find some notes I had made about how long it normally takes to drive on some of the 4x4 roads.  I have distances but not duration.  The main question I have is whether or not 8-10 hours is enough time to drive down Black Gap Rd and Old Ore Rd in one day if we also want to stop and see Ernst Tinaja and Mariscal Mine?  We currently have two days set aside for those two roads but if we can fit them in one day (without rushing or skipping sights), that will free up time for us to see some other areas on the other day.

If we take Black Gap north to south, which is quickest getting back to Glenn Springs: Black Gap south to north or River Road East to Glenn Springs?  Or, if we can fit both roads in one day and we do Black Gap first, would we cut across on River Road East all the way from Black Gap to the connections for Old Ore Rd (Hot Springs & Park Rd)?

We're leaving the gas station in Study-Butte/Terlingua around 8:30am.  If we're still on Old Ore Rd after the sun sets, I think that'll be okay.  Also, is there a gas station in Rio Grande Village?  I saw one on a map but don't remember reading about it or seeing that before.

Thanks for whatever tips y'all want to share! :)

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Average Drive Times for 4x4 roads
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »
That is an ambitious day, especially if you want to look around the mine and other places.  I guess it's doable but I would try to get started earlier than 8:30 since it gets dark pretty early now.  Even leave when it's still dark in the morning (say, around 7).  If it were me, and starting from Study Butte, I would go down Glen Springs and Black Gap first, then take RR East around to RG Village and from there catch the main park road to Old Ore Road.   If you only want to get back to Glenn Springs, I would take RR East to Glenn Springs Road rather than go back up Black Gap.

The only gas station in the park is at Panther Junction.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 05:55:16 PM »
That is an ambitious day, especially if you want to look around the mine and other places.  I guess it's doable but I would try to get started earlier than 8:30 since it gets dark pretty early now.  Even leave when it's still dark in the morning (say, around 7).  If it were me, and starting from Study Butte, I would go down Glen Springs and Black Gap first, then take RR East around to RG Village and from there catch the main park road to Old Ore Road.   If you only want to get back to Glenn Springs, I would take RR East to Glenn Springs Road rather than go back up Black Gap.

The only gas station in the park is at Panther Junction.

There is gas at RGV
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »

There is gas at RGV

Thanks, BK.  I get to RGV so infrequently that I didn't remember seeing it.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
 old ore road can take me five to 6 hours, there is a lot to see. also dagger flats auto trail is close to the north end of the o.o.r. and worth the short trip to see. for me it's more enjoyable to take my time and stop often. you'll want to spend some time at ernst tinaja. it's a short hike, to a very unique spot.  river road east is usually in decent shape, much smoother and wider than the o.o.r.. you should be able to get from pavement to the mine in an hour and a half. when you go glenn springs check out glenn springs draw,  it's a drainage that leads to the spring. there's a place to park close to head of the draw, you can get into the draw and follow it all the way to the spring then return to your truck on the road.   

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
Jim is right.  Do one loop or the other in order to do either justice.  Two days of driving and exploring or way too much ground.  OOR is a easily a day in of its self.

Offline TexasTLC

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
Thanks everyone! All of this feedback was very helpful! :)  I'll keep it at two days then.  Cheers & Merry Christmas!

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
I'm late to this but concur. Even if doable, not nearly as enjoyable.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!