Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Blackgap road

• 14 Replies

Offline Jparedes

• Kangaroo Rat
Blackgap road
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »
Hello everyone, I enjoy and appreciate all the helpful information on here. Thank you to all the members who keep guys like me informed. Some friends/family and myself are planning on taking a 2 day trip to BBNP and explore the roads and trails in mid February. 3 Jeeps and a Tacoma. All but one driver in our convoy is experienced in off-roading and vehicle recovery. She (my daughter)will be accompanied by my son, and heís been off the beaten path a few times. My question to you is what is the best direction to travel Black gap road? (North to south or vise versa) Iím planning my route for the day and I want to be sure to head the right direction in order to climb the famous ledge opposed to dropping off it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Big Bend Chat

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Blackgap road
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »
North to south if you want to climb it

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 06:09:40 PM »
3 jeeps and a Tacoma will not have any problem no matter what direction you are going. It's not that big a deal :dance:

~Cookie

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
Agreed Cookie. Anticlimactic

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Jparedes

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »
Thank you guys! We will be camping at stillwells campground and will be traveling into the park via 385. Would there be enough daylight to travel river road west to Santa Elena canyon overlook or would river road east to the hot springs be a better option? Weíre a slow traveling group and we enjoy photography so I donít want to feel rushed trying to beat the sun. River road west is my ideal route Iím just uncertain on the time it takes to go that route.

Offline Jparedes

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
North to south if you want to climb it
Thank you.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
Stay on the east side of the park.  There's plenty to see and do.  Stop at Glenn Springs (where you turn on to Black Gap) and take a look around.  When you finally exit Black Gap, you're close to Mariscal Mines.  After exploring that for a bit, then take River Road East out to Hot Springs.  Soak for awhile, then head back to Stillwell.

Offline Jparedes

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »
Thank you! Will do, Iím very excited to visit the area. Itís been almost 30 since my last visit. Weíre long overdue.

Offline Mesquito

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 08:54:15 PM »
West on river road is kind of long and dull, and would feel like an excruciating waste of time on such a short trip. Agree with Mariscal Mines.  Good stop.  You might, if you can spare 4 hours, consider taking the Old Ore Road, northbound back to dagger flat and 385.  It might be fun to have all those capable rides out there at one time. From a driving standpoint I always thought the ore road was more interesting than Black Gap.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 10:44:35 PM »
. . . if you can spare 4 hours, consider taking the Old Ore Road, northbound back to dagger flat and 385.  It might be fun to have all those capable rides out there at one time. From a driving standpoint I always thought the ore road was more interesting than Black Gap.

Excellent suggestion!  If I had to make a choice between doing one or the other, my first time to BBNP, I too would do OOR.  I like to go from north to south. Either way it's worth the drive. There are some challenging stretches, incredible views and very interesting rocks real close up.  I wouldn't do it if I only had 4 hours . . . pretty much all day would be much better and allows the drive to be more enjoyed and could include a walk to Ernst Tinaja or McKinney Springs. 

Offline Jparedes

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
OOR is our Friday route. We will leave Odessa early morning, arrive to camp, set up and plan on being on OOR by noon. I have Ernst tinaja on the to do list for that route Iíll definitely look into McKinney springs.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »
North to South was fun. Next time I'll try the other direction.
This is from 2014.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Jparedes

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
Well we conquered Black gap and OOR. Thanks for all the help and I have to say the videos do it no justice. We had a blast and are planning our next trip!

Offline Mesquito

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
I suggest you take those  righteous rigs to BBRSP.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »
I suggest you take those  righteous rigs to BBRSP.
I'll second that!  Better wheeling in the state park. 
Glad y'all had fun though!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!