Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

CB Radio Question

• 37 Replies

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • MilesOfTexas Photography
CB Radio Question
« on: November 09, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »
I am thinking about installing a good old fashioned CB radio in my FJ Cruiser, but I was wondering if channel 9 or any other channel is monitored by park authorities in the event of an emergency?
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: CB Radio Question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
Cool as CB radios are, Family Radios have pretty much replaced them for camping and the newer ones can have a very good range.  We use them routinely when hiking in Big Bend.  But it would probably be cool to have a CB.  I can't help but think truckers still use them but don't I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

Al

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Cool as CB radios are, Family Radios have pretty much replaced them for camping and the newer ones can have a very good range.  We use them routinely when hiking in Big Bend.  But it would probably be cool to have a CB.  I can't help but think truckers still use them but don't I know.

Al

Thanks Al!  I do have a pair of the Family Radios, and they absolutely come in handy!
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »

Al

Thanks Al!  I do have a pair of the Family Radios, and they absolutely come in handy!

I have to tell a story.  Back in the CB heyday of the mid to late '70's we were driving to GUMO past Pecos and overheard a conversation on the CB radio.  It went something like this:

Break channel . . . Comeback . . .

We were wondering why everyone is waving at us.  We thought there was something wrong with our car.  We pulled over and everything looked good.  All the tires are aired up and then is nothing loose hanging from the vehicle . . . WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE KEEPS WAVING AT US!'

Uhhhh, they're being friendly.

10-4

We couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes.

Al

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »
I have to tell a story.  Back in the CB heyday of the mid to late '70's we were driving to GUMO past Pecos and overheard a conversation on the CB radio.  It went something like this:

Break channel . . . Comeback . . .

We were wondering why everyone is waving at us.  We thought there was something wrong with our car.  We pulled over and everything looked good.  All the tires are aired up and then is nothing loose hanging from the vehicle . . . WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE KEEPS WAVING AT US!'

Uhhhh, they're being friendly.

10-4

We couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes.

Al

Haha!  That is funny, and quite believable.

My most memorable CB story (yes, I know I am getting off topic, but what the heck):

Back in the 70's I was playing with my grandmother's CB (it was the kind that was built into her caddy's radio) one day in Abilene and got to yacking with a trucker.  I asked him his '20' and he kept saying mile marker yada on Interstate 95.  I kept asking him to repeat it because he was breaking up a little and thought I didn't understand him right, but I did hear him 5x5 on one of his repeats.  I told him that there isn't any hwy 95 in Abilene, and it was then he informed me he was in Florida.  My grandmother then explained to me that I got to enjoy the rare case of a 'skip'.  I thought that was just really cool and fun!!!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:12:23 PM by MilesOfTexas »

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:40 PM »
They weren't from Texas for sure.  That guy in Florida must of have been putting the juice to that rig . . . that's an incredible skip.  I think you have to get one with a whip antenna and a tennis ball on it!  It would be great fun.  You're tempting me . . .

Al

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
CBs are a must if you go on organized 4x4 trail rides with people, such as in Moab.  They all use them to keep everyone moving on the trail.  On the hyway it is a different story.  Many people us the radio to spill out their anger on who ever will listen.  If you have kids in the car, you won't want to monitor it due to the hateful language.  I 10 and I 20 are pretty bad in New Mexico.  A well charged cell phone and a tall hill are your best bets for HELP.  The rangers in the Maze district Canyonlands NP (Utah) say they listen to the CB for emergencies, but I really dought they actually do it.  I believe most all government agencies have gone to digital 900 MHZ radios.  Homeland security has required most all agencies to get on the new system and I would bet that national parks have done it too.  (Unified Command BS)

Save the money and put it towards an ARB bumper with a winch.  And make sure you get the Heavy springs with the lift kit to hold up the extra weight.
First Russian Collusion, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns subpoenaed. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
CBs are a must if you go on organized 4x4 trail rides with people, such as in Moab.  They all use them to keep everyone moving on the trail.  On the hyway it is a different story.  Many people us the radio to spill out their anger on who ever will listen.  If you have kids in the car, you won't want to monitor it due to the hateful language.  I 10 and I 20 are pretty bad in New Mexico.  A well charged cell phone and a tall hill are your best bets for HELP.  The rangers in the Maze district Canyonlands NP (Utah) say they listen to the CB for emergencies, but I really dought they actually do it.  I believe most all government agencies have gone to digital 900 MHZ radios.  Homeland security has required most all agencies to get on the new system and I would bet that national parks have done it too.  (Unified Command BS)

Save the money and put it towards an ARB bumper with a winch.  And make sure you get the Heavy springs with the lift kit to hold up the extra weight.

Thanks a lot for the info elhombre!  I have the ARB bull bumper w/winch, but I was just thinking about other types of emergencies, but I guess I could just activate a PLB if it is that serious.

As far as a lift, I am really debating on whether I really need one.  A three inch lift is pretty inexpensive, and doesn't require any cutting, but the weight of the bumper and its lack of aerodynamics already cuts my fuel mileage.  Adding a lift and larger tires will drop the MPG quite a bit more, or so I have heard.  I may just install the leveling lift to get the front level with the back.  What is your take?

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline OldJeepr

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
Some things to think about.
A lift, by itself, will not give you higher ground clearance.  It will allow for larger tires, which will give you a little more clearance.  This, other than appearance, is the main reason for a lift.
A 3" lift will raise your center of gravity, and make off camber trails a little more interesting.  You may find that you also have to make some modifications to steering linkage.  The change in aerodynamics and larger tires will have some effect on mpg.  Larger tires will eat some horsepower, and you will have to re-calibrate the speedometer (or do some mental arithmetic as you go down the highway). IMHO, go for the smallest lift needed to accommodate the tires you want to run.  My old jeep has a 2" lift to allow for 32" tires.  One mod you might want to look at is quick disconnects for the sway bar.  This allows for more articulation and helps keep all four tires on the ground (have to remember to hook them back up before you get back to regular highway driving). 

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
Some things to think about.
A lift, by itself, will not give you higher ground clearance.  It will allow for larger tires, which will give you a little more clearance.  This, other than appearance, is the main reason for a lift.
A 3" lift will raise your center of gravity, and make off camber trails a little more interesting.  You may find that you also have to make some modifications to steering linkage.  The change in aerodynamics and larger tires will have some effect on mpg.  Larger tires will eat some horsepower, and you will have to re-calibrate the speedometer (or do some mental arithmetic as you go down the highway). IMHO, go for the smallest lift needed to accommodate the tires you want to run.  My old jeep has a 2" lift to allow for 32" tires.  One mod you might want to look at is quick disconnects for the sway bar.  This allows for more articulation and helps keep all four tires on the ground (have to remember to hook them back up before you get back to regular highway driving).

Thanks OldJeepr, I truly do appreciate the insight!

I have been researching options for the FJ long before I bought it.  To a degree, the FJ seems like a very easy vehicle to customize.

Fortunately for the FJ, a three inch lift wouldn't require any modifications.  The FJ comes stock with 32" tires, and it can support 35" tires without rubbing or needing to offset the rims with the three inch lift.  A six inch lift would require cutting the front differential crossmember, something I am not inclined to do.  In any case, I am still leaning against any lift other than a leveling kit, which is just a 2.5 inch lift in the front and 1.5 inch lift in the rear.  I haven't any need for rock crawling, and I am not interested in making it unstable at normal highway speeds.  The leveling kit will help some with the approach and departure angles and driveability shouldn't be compromised, so that is most likely what I will do.  Other than that, I will probably invest in better shocks/springs for the front and rear, and call it done.

Thankfully too the speedometer/odometer is adjustable electronically.  There is a device that plugs into the OBDII that lets you input your tire size and/or gear size and it adjusts the speedometer/odometer electronically.  Speaking of gearing, that is another reason I want to avoid the larger tires.  I really don't want to have to mess with re-gearing the differentials.

Going back to the CB Radio thing, I haven't really decided what I am going to do, but I will most likely go ahead and get one, if (a big if) I can find a place to mount it inside that I like.  There aren't a whole lot of places to mount one.

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline OldJeepr

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
Sounds like you have really done your homework.  I definitely agree with the leveling kit.  Also, glad to see you have a winch installed. 
I have a CB in the Jeep, and though they're not as omnipresent as back in the 70's, I think it's a good accessory/insurance.  Last spring, my son and I hit some of the backroads in BBRSP.  We were basically a two vehicle 'convoy', but at one point I had to stop to make a minor repair and he kept going.  He swears he will have a CB before we do it again, so he doesn't have to face momma and tell her he lost the old man somewhere.  Another accessory I've added is a GPS.  Now if I break down, and I can raise somebody on the CB, I can tell them where to start looking.
If I wasn't so locked in on this old iron, I'd definitely be looking at that FJ.  The old jeep is great once you get there, but she get's to be trailer queen for the 12+ hour commute.  So far.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:30:27 PM by OldJeepr »

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Re: CB Radio Question...back to the original post
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
. I can't help but think truckers still use them but don't I know.

Al

Al, ALL of the truck drivers i know use CB Radios. It is a must to stay awake and sane when you get to know how many miles these people log in a week. It is like having a buddy next to you all the way to your destiny, plus it is an open way of communications, something worth pondering if you are going to bring family along.

I have a CB Radio and a Dual Bander (VHF/UHF)on my rig, but as El Hombre wrote it:
CBs are a must if you go on organized 4x4 trail rides with people, such as in Moab.  They all use them to keep everyone moving on the trail.

I ONLY install them when i am hitting the trails and such. I have had the experience to hear,never transmitted (I don't have the juice in them) people chatting all the way down from Central America. And i was in Sierra del Burro, I was later told that due to the fact i was in an isolated area,and in high peaks i was able to pick up on the high signal bouncing off the stratosphere. It was a neat experience to hear them, being in that particularly DESPOBLADO place.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »
I would approach your build up by basing it on the tire size.  The jump from 265 (32 inch tires) to 315 (35 inch tires) is pretty big.  Most people change the differential gears to 4.56 or 4.88 gears for the 315 tires.  This is usually the deal breaker for most recreational wheelers.  Moving up to the 295 size is what I did for my Land Cruiser and i have no complaints.  In light of tire size, go with the smallest lift required (like oldjeepr said).  I personally would go with the leveling kit and 295's by your description of intended use (95% daily driver)

The only thing I would also consider is how much weight you plan on carrying.  Front ARB/winch are heavy.  All your camping crap/water/fuel can/tools/cooler/beer can get real heavy.  The 3 inch lift will shrink quickly with all that weight. 

The real question is where are you going to take it, because every little thing you do to improve off-road capabilities will take away from street comfort.  I personally have no problem giving up comfort for off-road capability, but I am limited by the need to have the cruiser drive 80 mph to get to my vacation spots (Utah, Colorado, BB), AND keep the old lady from complaining.  Which she has yet to do!  I know your stock rig could drive Elephant Hill in the Needles (Canyonlands NP) with very little problem.  Lift it and get 33 inch tires under it, No problem...

I would not get a sway bar disconnect.  Oldjeepr is old school because a sway bar disconnect would improve articulation on  a SOLID front axle (jeep), but your Toyota is IFS (Independent front suspension) and the swaybar actually limits the drop of each wheel.  If it didn't, the ball joints would have to limit travel, and they are not made to take that kind of stress.  Also the short CV axles are not made to stretch down.  And finally, the steering rack has joints on each end and they will definitely crap out on you if they flex that much.  Lift kits that lower the front differential do this to fix the two problems just mentioned.

Finally, If you are concerned about gas mileage and all these modifications, you might need to get back up on the porch  :icon_biggrin:.  I get a little over 12 mpg fully loaded going 70-75 mph.  15 mpg empty at 65mph.  When my family is kicking back, watching the sunset in the middle of nowhere, the price of admission (gas) is the last thing on my mind....  What else are you going to do with your money?
First Russian Collusion, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns subpoenaed. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »
Homero: Thanks, I believe I will go ahead with the CB install afterall!  I travel solo most of the time, and could use the entertainment! Although, at least now I have satellite radio.

elhombre:  I'm not too worried about comforts and gas mileage as much as making sure I can manage a safe 80MPH on I-10, haha.  That's mainly because most of my trips are three or four day weekends, so I don't waste any time getting there.  If I could take off work for a week at a time, it would be a different story.  I would take QS's route at 65MPH and be just thrilled!  At the same time, I want to be able to get just about anywhere in BIBE, and then some (BIBE isn't my only off-pavement destination).  Not to the point of rock crawling however, especially seeing I am solo 95% of the time.

If I go with the three inch lift, I was considering 285's, but I have seen that 295's will work.  Some folks over in the FJ forums complain about the FJ's highway handling with the 295's, but I don't know how good of a driver they are to begin with (I consider myself to be quite excellent, but what I am comfortable doing does un-nerve my passengers at times).  Perhaps I will have a local used tire place toss some 295's on and just give it a test spin.

Are 295's with 10.5" width going to be too narrow?  If so, then I am looking at new rims with perhaps offsets (I hear that offsets up to 4.5" is acceptable) to avoid the dreaded turning rub.

It is also true that the FJ is my daily driver, but I only drive about 20 miles a day when driving just to/from work, so that isn't really a concern.

I guess I should just say that I want to maximize what this FJ can do without chopping it up!  When I get another daily driver, then all bets are off!!!

What am I going to do with all my money you ask?  Camera gear aint cheap!!!

I think I am now settled on the three inch lift.  Hopefully I can find someone in want/need for my 265's that I just bought!

One more question, if you don't mind.  Bilstein seems to be the name that comes up the most for FJ offroad shocks.  Being new to the 'build your own' offroad world, any recommendations on offroad shocks/springs?

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »
Homero, thanks!  I am out of date for sure.

MOT,  I would approach modifications slowly.  Your vehicle will go anywhere you want to go in Big Bend or Big Bend Ranch.  I have had the privilege to go rock crawling in Utah, over the high passes in Colorado and hill climbing in eastern Oklahoma with a group of guys who are the real thing including Gary Banks who is actually Googlelable by his name and "jeep".

http://www.sidekickoffroad.com/Clayton.htm

http://www.hosttheweb.com/patrol16/Trip_Reports/moab98.htm

I've posted some shots of these guys on this forum.  It's incredible what they can do BUT the group also includes professional mechanics.  They have air compressors mounted in the engine compartment and use the roll bars for air tanks so they can run power tools on the trail.  I've watched Gary replace a Jeep axle in the middle of nowhere in less than 30 minutes.  They know what parts might break, have them with them and know how to repair their vehicle.  This is a whole different level of 'off-road' than what we have been talking about.

Once you start modifying the suspension, life can become increasingly complicated and should be avoided except if necessary to level the vehicle, in my humble opinion, unless you are considering doing some serious off roading.  The most important modification (and easiest modification) you can make is your tires. However, great off road tires don't tend to be good highway tires but what the heck!

Al

PS Having said all that, if you want to go with Homero on one of his wonderful trips into Mexico some day, he might talk you into installing that lift kit!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:16:00 PM by Al »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!