Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

FJ's in Big Bend!

• 34 Replies

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
FJ's in Big Bend!
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
Hi Folks,
I'm joining a group from the FJ forums for a week between Xmas and New years in BBNP and BBRSP.
It'll be my first time out that way and I'm curious as to what some of the more challenging roads are out there.
I've heard of Black Gap and I think we are planning on doing that one of the days.
The Road to nowhere sounds intruiging as does Cerro de Burras.
How would y'all rate those?
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
Re: FJ's in Big Bend!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »
The first few miles of Black Gap Road have some interesting rough spots - you may have to be guided a couple times.  Nothing major though.

The famous canyon has been mostly concreted over (not sure when), so it's not as bad as the other spots, IMO.  After that section, it's smooth sailing all the way to where it joins River Road.

Jeep is on the concrete - only a few boulders left to climb...

We're actually traveling south to north in this picture, so you'd have to climb the boulders going the other way -- but still not so bad...

You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline DuneYeti

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »
Seems like I read last year the Road to Nowhere was washed out and you couldn’t get to the other side of nowhere. Even with that there is plenty to keep you busy in BBRSP.  Check out some you-tube on it. 
"The less you want, the richer you are."

Offline Jonathan Sadow

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:06:16 AM »
You might be referring to the trip report that I made for my trip to BBRSP in April 2013.  The main part of the Road to Nowhere is actually not that bad.  It is, however, quite narrow and in some places has a steep drop-off.  There are two spur roads that go northward from the mostly east-west path of the main road and join about 0.2 miles away.  The east one is indeed washed out and essentially gone, but the west one remains, although it is very steep and rocky.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
Looks like we will be camping in Rancho Topanga in about 6 more weeks :)
The person coordinating the trip has said Black Gap is one of the runs and maybe Christmas Mountain?
I'm seriously looking forward to this trip as I've never been out this way before.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Bluedog

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
We did the Road to Nowhere early in October. The road had not been traversed for a long time as the roadway was covered in grass. There are a couple of spots where you need to be careful, but overall, it was not a problem. We camped at Los Papalotes as well and if you have four wheel drive and good tires, minimum of Load range "D", you should not have any problems.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:43:02 PM »
I did Black Gap in my wifes FJ and had zero problems or issues.  I am NOT a off roader either. LIke ds9writer said, there are a few spots, but going slow and easy will get you through.

One area in particular not too far after you pass the Glenn Spring 1 Camp site going south/West there is bit of a drop off to the left so you have to hug high right and then you get to look straight down. Well not really, but thats the only place I puckered. After that it was a breeze. Then again, it had not rained in a while when I was there so it was dry and fairly flat
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
2 Weeks from right now I will hopefully be at least 3/4 of the way there from Arlington!
All that's left to do is shop for food, pack up the FJ before Xmas and stop driving my wife crazy about my trip. HAHA
I found out there will be more than FJ's in our group. We'll have a few Jeeps and one Nissan Pathfinder Armada.
Should be a fun group to visit the parks this year.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
One area in particular not too far after you pass the Glenn Spring 1 Camp site going south/West there is bit of a drop off to the left so you have to hug high right and then you get to look straight down.

I posted a video of this particular section (I think it's what you were talking about) in another thread, but posting it here again so you don't have to hunt for it...

That part starts at around 0:36

very shaky, but my son was trying to video, guide me and not trip over boulders all at the same time   :icon_lol:
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
You weren't kidding! That is shakey! lol
Still, looks like fun! I  can't wait :)
Wife got me a go pro hero and a roof rack mount, so i'll have some video of  our group.
This is what I'll be driving.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »
Well I have to say what an AMAZING time I had out in Big Bend!
I hit everything on my offroading wish list and more!
The Road to Nowhere is a fantastic trip. Although the drop offs were there, I only had 1 or 2 spots that put a hole in my seat covers. One was a washout on a sharp turn that I swore my back tire was heading into... I went too far left and scraped my rock slider on the rocks!  haha. Otherwise a highly recommended trail!
Black Gap was a great ride through the park. We went North to South and there were a few washouts and narrow points on the trail. Nothing I couldn't handle. Great Views of the park for sure. We ended up taking River Road East back up to Glenn Springs then up to the main road. We stopped at Mariscal Mines too... I climbed to the top of that ridge!
My last Day we drove up to the top of Christmas Mountain from Terlingua Ranch. Another amazing trail for sure!!!  Again, a few spots that ripped holes in the seat cover but coming down those same spots were nothing. That is a trail you need to do if you haven't done so.
Nowhere and Christmas Mountain are definitely short wheelbase vehicle trails for sure, Black Gap not so much.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 03:01:21 PM »
Here's a few video's I made of my adventure :)

Nowhere:

Black Gap Road

Christmas Mountain (Going up)

Going down is almost done! I just need to finish editing and uploading it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:32:20 PM by BlindWilly »
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Apache

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »
BlindWilly,

In that bottom photo, is that the top of Christmas Mtn? (Or Nowhere?).  And also, is the road to the top of Christmas Mountain private or public?
- Tim

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 03:28:02 PM »
You have to do a short hike to the top of Christmas Mountain from the end of the road.  It is private; operated I think by the Nature Conservancy through Terlingua Ranch; there's a gate and lock; one party at a time up there; go to TR, pay like $5 or something; get the key to the gate; drive up there.  You can always hike the road, which I have done.  Also, while at TR, Bad Rabbit Cafe has the best breakfast and some of the best food in the area

Offline Apache

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 03:37:52 PM »
Thanks Steelfrog, and i saw the video that corresponds to the bottom picture Blindwilly, thanks for posting.

I've done roads at BBRSP and always thought Road to Nowhere was more difficult than that, but it didn't look that bad in the video.
- Tim

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!