Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

I'll have a Taco. No! Make that a Taco Supreme!

• 11 Replies

Offline mbender

• Coyote
I'll have a Taco. No! Make that a Taco Supreme!
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »

taco_meme by mbender, on Flickr

Taco

2002 Tacoma Extended Cab. The last pickup I thought I would ever own. Just the right size ... a little under-powered ... but set up for road-trippin'.

bff by mbender, on Flickr

How to set up a pickup for the road, you ask? First and most important: make it LOUD!!! Take all that space in the extended cab section - yank out those "seats" (snicker) that were needlessly installed at the factory, then put in some of these...

Ear Massage by mbender, on Flickr

BOOM! But to get the BOOM!, those wave makers have to be powered by these...

Amped by mbender, on Flickr

A six-channel, three-way crossover outputs eight channels into three amps to supply the BOOM! into a 12-inch subwhooper, two 8-inch mid-bass speakers, two 4.5 inch mids, and two tweeters. The subwhooper and mid-bass's were mounted in the back, while the mids and tweets were in the doors. The head unit was mounted in the dash, and was used for music only. The factory stereo remained and was used for the radio only.

For cargo, I mounted some plastic storage drawers to keep non-critical items up and out of the way, but still available as needed. The lockbox below will fit a laptop...

Stuffed by mbender, on Flickr

The critical stuff was kept in one of two safes bolted to the floor of the bed...

Secured by mbender, on Flickr

A 100 amp power center was fabbed into the other side of the bed and included USB chargers and a power inverter...

Juiced by mbender, on Flickr

Voltage check...

Powered by mbender, on Flickr

Perferated angle to mount lights and hang stuff from...

Racked by mbender, on Flickr

All to keep the most critical stuff cold in the ARB fridge...

Chilled by mbender, on Flickr

So I could go here...

Old Ore Road by mbender, on Flickr

And here...

Viewed From Emory Pk by mbender, on Flickr

And then one day in April of 2014, it all came crashing down. On a return trip from Big Bend, all but thirty minutes from home, I came over an overpass and made my contribution to a line of crumpled vehicles. I had to pay the wrecker driver extra to haul it all the way to my house so that I could remove all my stuff, then bid my friend farewell...

Saddened by mbender, on Flickr

Taco Supreme

May 2014. Twelve years after I'd been there last, I was back at the dealership. Times have changed. The 2002 I picked up off-the-lot with a extended cab and five speed manual transmission. In 2014, they had only double cabs with automatic transmissions - MOM-TRUCKS!! I had to special order an access cab with a six speed manual - a proper man's truck.

June 2014. The factory called - they're not making any more access cab pickups in 2014, I'll have to wait until 2015.

September 2015. First one off the assembly line! My Taco Supreme is waiting for me! A new day has dawned, my life is once again complete.

Not My Actual Pickup by mbender, on Flickr

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make to make him better than he was before. Better...stronger.. .faster.

This Taco Supreme will be purpose-built using everything I learned from the modifications to the original Taco.

First things first - rip out that interior and those LOL "back seats" LOL and install the sound system from the Original Taco. The 2015 cab is larger, so I had to re-fit all the mounts. Instead of putting speakers in the doors, I put all the speakers behind the seats and modified the speaker boxes accordingly. The factory stereo system remains as a parallel system. All seven of the wave makers...

TACO: The T is for Thunder by mbender, on Flickr

The cargo area has the perforated angle mounted to the cap with LED lighting. Cargo nets above and on each side typically contain hiking sticks, fanny packs, backpacks, etc...

TACO: The A is for Aglow by mbender, on Flickr

On the bed floor, a "Truck Vault" containing two dead-bolted drawers house my important stuff...

TACO: The C is for Car-go by mbender, on Flickr

They are about six feet long and pull out about five feet...

Vaulted by mbender, on Flickr

One side is partitioned for long stuff like tripods, shotguns, and dead bodies. The other side is partitioned off for shorter stuff like handguns, laptops, wallets, severed heads, etc.

So I don't have to crawl up into the cargo hold to get stuff, a bed slide was installed on top of the Truck Vault so that my stuff can come to me...

Come to Daddy by mbender, on Flickr

Each bed side comes from the facory with cubby holes for storage. The right side contains a factory inverter, while the left side I modified to contain my 100 amp power center...

Electrified by mbender, on Flickr

On each side of the bed slide is room to store tool boxes, hiking boots, and an air compressor...

Pumped by mbender, on Flickr

The fridge sits on top of the bed slide and plugs into the power center. Now, how to keep the fridge cool and the battery charged? My original intent was to go with a dual battery setup, but even dual batteries can go dead. I decided instead on a solar panel mounted on top of the truck cap. Good choice: 100 watts, an always charged battery, and an always cold fridge...

Charged by mbender, on Flickr

And finally, once my factory drivetrain warranty had expired; and two flat tires in three trips; came the suspension and tire upgrade. An OME BP-51 suspension lift kit on all four corners gave me just over two inches of lift and much improved handling...

Shocked by mbender, on Flickr

And some Level 8 wheels with BFG KO2's put it all on the ground...

Tired by mbender, on Flickr

The truck cap is taller than the cab height to provide additional room in the cargo area with the Truck Vault and bed slide taking up quite a bit of vertical space. It was also built with extra reinforcement to allow for mounting a roof rack and the solar panel. Ladies and Gents, my new best friend, the Taco Supreme...

bff by mbender, on Flickr

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Re: I'll have a Taco. No! Make that a Taco Supreme!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
Muy nice  :notworthy:

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:00:39 PM »
Nice,  M.  I'll bet some ACDC sounds pretty righteous through that beast!

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »
Not bad. You got yourself a looker there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
I just hope I don't pull up next to you at a stop without my ear plugs.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Lance

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:38:53 AM »
That's my ideal ride right there. Nice work!

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
That is a sweet rig!  You've put some love and thought into the build.

I just got myself a snowmaster fridge for my birthday.  Working on getting the wiring done.
If you find yourself in Llano in October, there is the Texas Avid Outdoor Expo going on  Oct 12 - 14th.
http://www.texasavidoutdoors.com/

Last years event was a blast, a LOT of rigs to look at and admire.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline mbender

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
I just hope I don't pull up next to you at a stop without my ear plugs.

No worries. It's designed to keep the sound IN. Call me selfish, but I like to keep my sound all to myself!   :7505:

Offline mbender

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »
That is a sweet rig!  You've put some love and thought into the build.

I just got myself a snowmaster fridge for my birthday.  Working on getting the wiring done.
If you find yourself in Llano in October, there is the Texas Avid Outdoor Expo going on  Oct 12 - 14th.
http://www.texasavidoutdoors.com/

Last years event was a blast, a LOT of rigs to look at and admire.

Thanks! Looks interesting. I'll keep it in mind.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
Were you able to get 285's with out rubbing under there with the lift?
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.  They so want to control the Internet and talk radio

May God bless America

Offline mbender

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 06:54:19 PM »
Were you able to get 285's with out rubbing under there with the lift?

Yeah, pretty much. Of course I had to take the mud flaps off. If I go into at ditch a full lock I'll get some tire rub, but not enough to worry about. The tires are 285/70 R17. Wheels are 8 inches with a -10 mm offset.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »
Yup, that's a Taco Supreme alright. Very nice.

I went "used" and bought a 2000 LC a few years ago. Then I added some extra things. Things like bigger  tires, lift, rear bumper with swingout tire carrier and extra fuel / water. I'm not done but it's good for what I use it for.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!