Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Jeep Restoration

• 63 Replies

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
Re: Jeep Restoration
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
Peeking out of the workshop...

"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
Installed the rebuilt engine, trannie and t-case this week and also built a rotisserie for the tub.

Offline mbender

• Coyote
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
Oh that's purdy. Nothin like having a body-less Jeep out on your front porch instead of a swing!  :eusa_dance:
But... where's the rest of it? You seem to be missing four cylinders and a "V"!  :icon_lol:

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
I'm getting dangerously close to starting the engine up - if only I can figure out how the carb goes back together  :icon_frown:

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 11:28:23 AM »
I assembled everything for our move from Bryan to College Station last year.  It runs great and is currently back apart for painting.  I sprayed what I hope was the final coat on the tub this morning.  Here' a shot of it shortly before taking it back apart for sanding and painting:

I recently picked this one up over near Conroe and got it going to play around in while I finish the '46:

It's a '71 CJ-5 with one of the last Willys F-134 engines in it before AMC took over with their engine line.

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 01:10:21 PM »
That is awesome Buck! No wander you didn't have time to join this weekend's Fandango! Hope to see that in the park one day. Man of many talents!
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
Thanks for the kudos!

Don't forget to put a knot in the end of your rope!

Offline mr.bean5150

• Coyote
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
Here's my Jeep out near the BBSP. I thought it was something else until I met a Guy who trailered his '48 Willy's out there and was bouncing around the ranch roads with his wife. I realized how uncool a 2004 TJ is sitting next to a '48 Willy's. It was all original except the tires. It had been painted red years ago but the original yellow was showing through all over. It was beautiful.....
"Do or Do Not, There Is No Try"
                                  "Yoda"

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »
There is no such thing as an uncool Jeep of any vintage.  :)

Heck, even these are cool...  Been trying to talk my wife into test driving a Renegade.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »
How do you get the top off of that thing - with a can opener?

For reference, here are the first Renegades, circa 1971...

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »
Buck, do you attend the Living History Weekend at the Museum of the American GI in College Station?  Usually a pretty decent swap meet and lots of other cool stuff as well.  My Dad and I go every year.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
I purchase parts from Brent from time to time, but I've never made it down to his event - it seems like I'm either in the Bend or somewhere else when that takes place.  Next year I'll plan on driving the restored '46 CJ-2A and maybe we can say 'howdy'  :great:

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 03:05:06 PM »
I purchase parts from Brent from time to time, but I've never made it down to his event - it seems like I'm either in the Bend or somewhere else when that takes place.  Next year I'll plan on driving the restored '46 CJ-2A and maybe we can say 'howdy'  :great:

That would be cool!  I think it's the first week in April this year. 
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »
We set the painted tub on the frame the day before yesterday and I rolled it out of the garage to work on another project last night.  Here are some photos from this morning...

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »
That is awesome Buck! No wander you didn't have time to join this weekend's Fandango! Hope to see that in the park one day. Man of many talents!

Speaking of fandangos, who might be adventurous enough to zone camp this weekend?  :eusa_think:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!