Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Jeep Restoration

• 63 Replies

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
Jeep Restoration
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »
I don't know if this is a good place to start this thread or not, but it's the only place that seemed appropriate.  I've wanted for a long time to trailer a vintage Jeep down to BBNP and do some of the back roads in it.  Unfortunately, each time I've restored one I have had to part with it (usually for marital reasons).  I've acquired another project now, and this time I plan to make good on the quest.  But first I'm doing another frame-off restoration.  I thought I could post photos here, and then, when it's ready to make the trip, let everyone know so they can have the opportunity to show up for a free ride.  At any rate, this all started back in 2004 when I finished my first restoration, a 1946 CJ-2A with early numbers that I found in Carlsbad, NM.  A guy offered me way too much money for it before I could get it out of Bryan.  I then acquired a 1948 CJ-2A in excellent condition, but disasembled, out of Birmingham, AL.  After completely rebuilding the frame and driveline (including individually restoring each leaf in all four leaf springs), I got another outrageous offer (since I had done all the 'hard work') and let it go.  Then I acquired a 1969 CJ-5 with the original 'odd-fire' Dauntless V6 out of Oklahoma City that I restored to scary-fast conditions with the help of an HEI distributor.  For some reason I decided to sell this one, too - I think because I really like the old flat fender models better and wanted to go back to that.  At any rate, I finally found a worthy model near Topeka, KS last fall and trailered it home where I've already torn it down and started the restoration.  It's a 1946 CJ-2A with all matching very early numbers and the original military style body with tool indents. 

Below I've posted photos of the original completed '46, me in my '69 and the new '46 as I found it in Kansas last fall.  I'll post additional photos as progress is made.
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Jeep Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
Those are pretty cool Buck.  My Dad is currently on the prowl for a 1940s Jeep to restore. 
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
They're hard to find in decent condition.  I'm having to replace the front floorboard and back-right quarter panel on the most recent acquisition and will probably end up getting a replacement hood, windshield frame and tailgate before it's all done.  I have some good resources, though, if he's seriously looking.  I can post them later from another computer where they're bookmarked.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
I don't know if this is a good place to start this thread or not, but it's the only place that seemed appropriate.  I've wanted for a long time to trailer a vintage Jeep down to BBNP and do some of the back roads in it.  Unfortunately, each time I've restored one I have had to part with it (usually for marital reasons).  I've acquired another project now, and this time I plan to make good on the quest.  But first I'm doing another frame-off restoration.  I thought I could post photos here, and then, when it's ready to make the trip, let everyone know so they can have the opportunity to show up for a free ride.  At any rate, this all started back in 2004 when I finished my first restoration, a 1946 CJ-2A with early numbers that I found in Carlsbad, NM.  A guy offered me way too much money for it before I could get it out of Bryan.  I then acquired a 1948 CJ-2A in excellent condition, but disasembled, out of Birmingham, AL.  After completely rebuilding the frame and driveline (including individually restoring each leaf in all four leaf springs), I got another outrageous offer (since I had done all the 'hard work') and let it go.  Then I acquired a 1969 CJ-5 with the original 'odd-fire' Dauntless V6 out of Oklahoma City that I restored to scary-fast conditions with the help of an HEI distributor.  For some reason I decided to sell this one, too - I think because I really like the old flat fender models better and wanted to go back to that.  At any rate, I finally found a worthy model near Topeka, KS last fall and trailered it home where I've already torn it down and started the restoration.  It's a 1946 CJ-2A with all matching very early numbers and the original military style body with tool indents. 

Below I've posted photos of the original completed '46, me in my '69 and the new '46 as I found it in Kansas last fall.  I'll post additional photos as progress is made.

that's awesome!  I love all Jeeps, except yrs 86-95 (Dont be square), but especially the vintage ones....

Offline bdhawk133

• Diamondback
  • I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...
    • Casa de Hawkins
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »
I am a Jeep fanatic myself!!! I don't have much time to put into mine right now, but it runs like a scalded ape as is... My next purchase will be one of the new 4dr Rubicons with which I will also be trailering my "toy jeep" to BIBE. It's a '79 CJ7 3spd w/304 5L V8.  :eusa_dance:
It has been discovered that research causes cancer in laboratory rats.
http://hawkinshaus.blogspot.com/

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »
That is one cool Renegade.. :eusa_clap:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
I am a Jeep fanatic myself!!! I don't have much time to put into mine right now, but it runs like a scalded ape as is... My next purchase will be one of the new 4dr Rubicons with which I will also be trailering my "toy jeep" to BIBE. It's a '79 CJ7 3spd w/304 5L V8.  :eusa_dance:

freakin' sweet!

Offline bdhawk133

• Diamondback
    • Casa de Hawkins
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:58:24 PM »

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:24:16 AM »
I've done a lot of research over the years into the Jeep and its history, etc, and the '79 model is considered by many to be the pinnacle in terms of durability and drivetrain configuration.  Good choice, that.

Here are som other shots of my previous '46 - it's sort of what I'm shooting for with my newest restoration:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:55:32 AM by RichardM »

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »
I've done a lot of research over the years into the Jeep and its history, etc, and the '79 model is considered by many to be the pinnacle in terms of durability and drivetrain configuration.  Good choice, that.

Here are som other shots of my previous '46 - it's sort of what I'm shooting for with my newest restoration:

wow....hey, just out of curiosity, how much does a restored Jeep like that go for?  ( I know, I know, if you have to ask....)

Offline Matador

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »
Sweet!  All these years of lurking have really paid off, my two favorite subjects in the world are combined...BBNP and Jeeps!
When she's finished, lets plan a BIBE-Jeep Show & Shine in the park.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »

wow....hey, just out of curiosity, how much does a restored Jeep like that go for?  ( I know, I know, if you have to ask....)
Here's one that's listed at $16,500. And here's another one that was listed for $11,000.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 11:03:32 PM »
Those prices are in line with what I've seen them going for in that condition.  With a lot of patience, a discerning eye and a little luck I've been able to pick mine up in fair condition for around $3,000, invest another $3,000 in them and end up with vehicles worth around $10,000.  Those numbers don't include the $25,000 in labor I invest, but that's what makes it a hobby and not a job.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »
That's awesome. Fixing up an old jeep is something my brother-in-law and I have been wanting to do for a long time now.

Let us know when you plan to get yours out to BiBe. That will be a cool trip!

Offline bdhawk133

• Diamondback
    • Casa de Hawkins
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »
This is just a funny "trail" story... The day after I got my CJ7, I decided to take it for a test run on some pretty rough backroads just outside of town. As I am puttin along, I come across a shopping cart just sitting there in the middle of the trail (still not sure how it got there :eusa_think:). Instead of getting out and moving it out of the way, I thought that I could move it just as easily by pushing it with my bumper. Well...... I didn't take into account the fact that my Jeep sits on 6" of suspension lift with 35"tires, and I misjudged the height of my Jeep's bumper with that of the shopping cart :eusa_doh:. Needless to say, I went right over it instead of bumping it. I ended up bending the tie rod in such a way that I could not turn left. So...... after a tedious hour or so of trying to make it home by only going straight or turning right, I made it as close as I could, then adjusted the tie rod, and went a little further. Finally, I got home. $300 later, I replaced that tie rod with a Currie...... so now......if I ever see that shopping cart again.........it's goin' down!!!

When Shopping Carts Attack!!!! :nailbitting:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:24:17 PM by bdhawk133 »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!