Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Jeep Restoration

• 63 Replies

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
Re: Jeep Restoration
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Since the orange 2A followed me home earlier in the year, I've removed instrumentation, wiring, all the body panels, transfer case, and body hardware.  I've started the meticulous removal of bad body panels by drilling out each spot weld with special spot weld drill bits.  These bits have a spring-loaded center punch that only allows the tiny circular saw blade to cut through one layer of metal - at least that's the theory.  I've also had the original 16" wheels sandblasted and I've painted them with Matthews Poly-Acrylic catalyzed paint in a scheme shown in an early Willys ad.  While the scheme was, as far as I know, never put into production, it takes the edge off the original 'in your face' sunset red wheel color that was paired with the harvest tan Jeeps like mine was.  In fact, if you look at the color left on the bottom of my vehicle you'll see the original harvest tan color.  Also shown are the new body panels waiting to be installed.
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline bdhawk133

• Diamondback
  • I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...
    • Casa de Hawkins
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 10:44:21 PM »
Buck,
Thanks for letting us peek at your project..... I love JEEP stuff! It's like LEGOS for adults... Keep it coming as you move along. Hopefully I will get to join you sometime for a Jeep Bender in the Bend!?!  :eusa_dance:
It has been discovered that research causes cancer in laboratory rats.
http://hawkinshaus.blogspot.com/

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
find this on craigslist while looking for my dream jeep.....

http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/805745574.html

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
I'm glad you repainted it.  That's way too much orange for someone living in Aggieland.   :icon_biggrin:

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »
But never too much Orange for us Pokes fans in Stillwater, OK.  Oh yeah, ours is a diff shade of orange :)  No burnt orange here.

Awesome hobby...  my Dad loves his '05 Wrangler.  Think it was the last year before they made 'em into Hummer-wannabes.  We took it out a few months ago after a heavy rain and had some fun on the farm.  Even a stock Wrangler can get outta some serious muck.

Offline alcap

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »
I've wanted for a long time to trailer a vintage Jeep down to BBNP and do some of the back roads in it. 

If you finally do it, you'll have a ball !! Here's my last Samurai.

Moderator Note: attached file lost during a move...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:29:46 AM by RichardM »
Alcap

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 07:11:33 AM »
OK, then - after a divorce and all the upheaval that comes from it I'm back on this project. The trannie and transfer case came back from the rebuilder yesterday and the sandblasting of the frame has resumed. Starter and generator are rebuilt and repainted along with the other engine peripherals. Wheels are painted and new NDT tires are mounted. Rotted body panels have been cut out and replaced with refabricated ones. Progress!

In the mean time, I decided to go for a more contemporary (by 1946 standards) ride:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:15:36 PM by RichardM »

Offline Terlingua50337

• Diamondback
  • West Texas road trip? Get in......... I'll drive!
    • Leeds Fine Western Art Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »
Love the plate

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
I've cleared out several other projects and put the Willys back on the front burner.  I decided to take the engine into a top rate restoration overhaul outfit, Vilas Motor Works (http://vilasmotorworks.homestead.com/) here in Bryan, and have him go through it and do it right.  I took the major parts to the sandblaster yesterday.  Hopefully this will start coming together quickly in time to start driving it in the Spring.  Maybe I'll be able to trailer it to the Bend?

Offline OldJeepr

• Coyote
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »
Here's a 'new' 81 CJ7 we trailered to BBNP the first week in October.  Two days of wandering backroads more than made up for the 1700 miles of pulling the trailer.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »
That's really awesome!  Great looking '81 - did you do the restore?  What type of trailer do you use?  I'm looking to either purchase a used one or have one built to my specs.

Got the metal back from the sandblaster yesterday - can you say next day service?!  Now to finish the welding, bending, grinding and hammering prior to painting.

Offline OldJeepr

• Coyote
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »
Fortunately, the CJ didn't need a lot of restoring, just a few touch-ups here and there, and then a paint job.  Made a few mechanical upgrades (spring bushings, MC2100 carb, coil and distributor, plug wires, etc.)  Then there were the new tires, wheels, winch, rear bumper and tire carrier, seats, ...the money pit continues.
My trailer is an 18' car hauler with a 5000# load capacity and electric brakes on the rear axle. 
Bought it new for $1795 plus TTL.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »
Where did you get that deal?

Offline OldJeepr

• Coyote
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
The trailer or the Jeep?
The trailer was from Texas Trailer Supply in Spring.

The Jeep was a lucky craigslist find.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 04:08:28 PM »
I just went by the machine shop (Vilas Motor Works) to check on the engine rebuild.  They are making progress.

Looking good!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!