Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Thinning the herd

• 12 Replies

Offline bcampbell

• Jack Rabbit
Thinning the herd
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »
After much thought and even more accusations of running a used car lot on the side.  I decided to thin the herd.  I sold my old chevy truck and traded in my trustworthy jeep and bought a new 4wd crew cab chevrolet to replace them both.  I already miss my heep, and will most likely cry a good bit when I go to the Bend July 4th and apply the first of many love scratchs to the new ride.  But it will be nice having making the 9 hour drive in comfort and having enough room to pack everything.  I even have xm radio, which I think might possibly be the best thing since sliced bread.  I was able to listen to the music I wanted without hearing a commercial every five seconds like my local stations.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Thinning the herd
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »
After much thought and even more accusations of running a used car lot on the side.  I decided to thin the herd.  I sold my old chevy truck and traded in my trustworthy jeep and bought a new 4wd crew cab chevrolet to replace them both.  I already miss my heep, and will most likely cry a good bit when I go to the Bend July 4th and apply the first of many love scratchs to the new ride.  But it will be nice having making the 9 hour drive in comfort and having enough room to pack everything.  I even have xm radio, which I think might possibly be the best thing since sliced bread.  I was able to listen to the music I wanted without hearing a commercial every five seconds like my local stations.

XM- Good! Especially in West Texas.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »

XM- Good! Especially in West Texas.

Had sat radio installed in the sedan today.  Went with Sirius. XM good too.

Al

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
Congrats on the new truck.  My chevy came with XM.  I kept it for those long drives out to West Texas.  I also got a grill guard.  There are just way too many deer splattered all over I-10 out there.  I want the extra protection for my truck in case a deer tries to commit suicide with me.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
Went with this type of deer control here:

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/Deer-Whistle-Warning-Device-p=2282

I can't help but remember the time I was playing cards with the boys and my wife, a vegetarian, called me and said, "A deer ran into me!"  I went, yeah right. 

Turns out she was right.  The deer took out the driver's side rear window and dented the rear quarter panel. 

Those deer are insidious!

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »

Al

Yes, but they make a great meal, out yonder.

Bcampbell, what you did was a good move considering your life style. If you use your truck to go from point A to point B, then you made a fantastic decision. Not only will you be able to go to places where a normal truck would leave you drooling on the side of the road, but like you say, it will also help you take so much stuff you can take for granted until you miss it.

On the other hand, you will cry for selling your Jeep. It is the only vehicle capable enough to take you to tight places and real 4x4 scenarios that give you that adrenaline rush, you just don't get with a pick up.Plus you can always hook up a trailer and bring your stuff you can not fit inside of the jeep.

It is all based on tastes. XM is very good, so is Sirius.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 12:04:37 PM »

Al

There is some debate whether these things work at all. I have them on my truck and I can tell you that I see absolutely no indication that deer are affected one whit by them. I have driven, at various speeds, past deer grazing on the road edge and I sure cannot say they react to anything other than the road noise since all I have ever seen them do is look up (to assess the potential threat). Same reaction to a vehicle without them.

I wonder if Consumer Reports ever tested them? Probably not since it's such a minor thing. This is probably is a brilliant marketing scheme.

If you want undisputed deer protection, put an ARB bumper (very pricey from Australia but very good, where they are designed to knock a kangaroo down without vehicle damage), or perhaps a Ranch Hand bumper (seems very stout as well). Ranch Hand short-sightedly overlooks the non-Detroit vehicles so Toyota owners go with ARB. Brush guards and similar bolt-together arrangements are just like the roll bars that used to be a popular pickup accessory...mostly cosmetic (those old roll bars even had a sticker telling you they were not rollover protection). I guess a 'brush' guard would serve that purpose, but what's the point?
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »
When I bought this truck, the first thing I did was go get a Ranch Hand.  The one on my last truck paid for it self several times over.  From a parking lot fender bender ($2000 to his car and not even missing paint on mine) to several dead dear, that grill guard more than paid for itself.

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • MilesOfTexas Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 04:11:42 PM »
Congrats on the new truck.  My chevy came with XM.  I kept it for those long drives out to West Texas.  I also got a grill guard.  There are just way too many deer splattered all over I-10 out there.  I want the extra protection for my truck in case a deer tries to commit suicide with me.

I don't know which is worse, hitting a deer on Hwy 385 and smashing the front of my car, or hitting a javalina on I-10 at 80mph and going airborne.  During my trip home from my last visit to BIBE, I nearly did both within 45 minutes, but thankfully didn't.
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline bcampbell

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »
This new truck is getting a new ranch hand front replacement for sure.  I had one on my old truck and it saved me many times.  Seems like I manage to slaughter at least one critter every time I go on vacation.  One trip I hit two deer within 100 miles of each other.  As soon as I get the time, the shoddy car tires that gm put on my truck will be replaced with some ten ply all terrains.  Then a new front bumper, front leveling kit and a spray in bed liner.

Offline desertflwr

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »
Bumper guards are good but we've had 4 deer run into our trucks and it was into the doors they aimed.  Slowing down and hoping they don't make the wrong decision didn't help.  They did.  Al, we put deer whistles on our vehicles and our motorcycles.  Now, if we could just figure out something for the buzzards, the most stupid creatures on God's green earth.  They wait until the last minute to leave their meal on the road and then decide to fly toward the windshield.  Thankfully, they're only here 6 months of the year. 

I can't help but remember the time I was playing cards with the boys and my wife, a vegetarian, called me and said, "A deer ran into me!"&nbsp; I went, yeah right.&nbsp;

Turns out she was right.&nbsp; The deer took out the driver's side rear window and dented the rear quarter panel.&nbsp;

Al

...in the wild places man is an unwelcome guest but its here that I'm found and here I feel blessed...

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
Bumper guards are good but we've had 4 deer run into our trucks and it was into the doors they aimed. Slowing down and hoping they don't make the wrong decision didn't help. They did. Al, we put deer whistles on our vehicles and our motorcycles. Now, if we could just figure out something for the buzzards, the most stupid creatures on God's green earth. They wait until the last minute to leave their meal on the road and then decide to fly toward the windshield. Thankfully, they're only here 6 months of the year.

I can't help but remember the time I was playing cards with the boys and my wife, a vegetarian, called me and said, "A deer ran into me!" I went, yeah right.

Turns out she was right. The deer took out the driver's side rear window and dented the rear quarter panel.

Al

Can't guarantee the whistles work . . . we drive the hill country daily and haven't been hit since we started using them around 15 years ago. &nbsp; I have trouble rationalizing the cost of the bumper guards (upfront cost and the reduction in mileage) unless I planned to drive through high brush routinely. &nbsp;They would save the paint and reduce radiator clogging. &nbsp;In that case I would probably want skid plates too.

Al

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
I put a replacement bumper on the front of my 08 Silverado about six months after I bought it. It wasn't even a month later that I hit 4 deer on separate occasion. I hit one going 70 mph. She came out of some really tall grass and I had no time to react... All in all I've hit 7 deer with the bumper and not a scratch on it or the truck and yes I still try to dodge the sorry sob's. Mostly because I'm afraid one will wrap around the side. They are like rats around where I live.

The sound of the impact sequence goes something like this:

Stupid #$&&@&$%#@) Deer!

followed by

Boooooongggggg

followed by Stupid #$&&@&$%#@) Deer! and the sound of deer carcass thumpety thumping out from under my truck and flying out the back (thank God for skid plates)

I don't even get out and look anymore

Side impact is what worries me... sob's have hit two of my kids vehicles like that.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!