Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

tire recommendation

• 6 Replies

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
tire recommendation
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
i have a 2010 tacoma, in another 8/10 thousand miles it'll be time for new tires. most of my driving is highway ,35 and chandler road in georgetown.  i spend the most time 'off road' in big bend. next october i want drive the black gap road for the first time and return to the old ore road. of course i want it all in a tire, no decrease in mpg, good wet weather performance, minimal road noise, sidewall strength, and good on/off road capacity. i drive slow off road, but, have been known to get a ticket on road. i would like to do more off roading locally. i've considered bfg at ko , goodyear wranglers, mickey thompsons , michilens ,etc.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: tire recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
Tirerack is a great place to do research.  I have bought several sets from them but now that there is a Discount Tire fairly close I've started trading with them.  Get their road hazard warranty and they will replace a damaged tire that can't be repaired.  Free rotation and balancing.

I really like the Michelin M/S 2's as a great long-lived all purpose tire. If all you plan to do is the back roads in Big Bend they should be plenty good.

Al

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
Your big deciding factor is "HOW much (often) off road are you going to do?"  What kind of off-roading are you going to drive?  It comes down to either 2 or 3 plys in the side wall.  The weight factor and tread pattern is the give and take for gas mileage.  Aggressive tread can loose up to 2-3 MPG AND wear out quickly.  The 3 ply are much heavier and are harder on the suspension.  BUT, if you are going to wheel on Colorado mine roads, Black Gap road, and the Mormon Trail in Utah once a year, then get good, heavy 3 ply tires.  If you want to do Black Gap and Ore Road once every few years, spend the money on a good air compressor ($150 - $200, 100% duty cycle rating) and have a good spare.  Get the lightest A/T you can find with 2 ply sidewalls and learn to use a tire patch kit.

I run BFG A/Ts on my Land Cruiser.   I usually have to replace them because tread chunks get popped/rubbed off after every 4 years (40k miles) or so and they get pretty ugly.  But I drive them hard. 

To make a short story long......  If Black Gap/ Ore road are your main destinations, buy a good brand like Goodyear or BFG in the model right under their All-Terrain and spend the extra money you save on tools/compressor to fix the tire in the event of a puncture.   
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
tire recommendation
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
I've always been partial to the BFG All Terrains, myself.

Offline Matador

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »
Another advantage to the BFG AT/KO is they are "snow" rated...in case that road condition is ever a factor.

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
There was a similar discussion on tires here.

I have been equally satisfied with Nitto Terragrapplers and BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, the Nittos being a few dollars cheaper and a little less treadwear.

I also agree with Al on Discount Tire’s Road Hazard Warranty, it is cheap and well worth it. No hassles.  :13:

Don
Don
Fort Worth

Offline Doc Savage

• Diamondback
  • Ready to see BIBE again
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »
Lots of considerations in doing something like this. Lots of compromises and trade offs. I've run BFG ATs, BFG MTs, Goodyear Wranglers, and no name Mud Kings (and some odd MT style Goodyear from Walmart, not sure the name) on my Jeep. I also offroad extensively and have seen lots of other tires offroad.

Personally I like the BFG ATs best for "all around" use, but they do wear a bit too quick for my liking. Around here they aren't that great offroad (due to the snot slick clay on the rocks), the BFG MTs are much better offroad here, but not so great for daily driving, and wear quick. They have done me well in the Bend.

The Goodyear Wranglers that have come with my jeeps stock are good for on road and VERY MILD offroad. I would hesitate to call them an all terrain tire. The MTs I have on my trail jeep now are decent offroad and so far are good on road, but I've only got about 1500 miles on them so far so I hesitate to make a call on them. The Mud Kings I had were pretty good. My brother has run General Tire ATs and likes them, and their MTs look to have a decent tread pattern.

One of my friends ran some Mickey Thompsons, and they preformed pretty decent, but had issues with heavy mud. Most folks here like swampers or boggers for offroad, but HATE them on road.

What ever you do, do NOT ever even consider TSL Thornbirds. With the reputation of their mud tires, you would have thought they could pull off an AT, but those were the WORST tires I've ever seen offroad, Folks with street tires had less problems. Not even sure if they still make them... hope not.

Robert
Enjoying the Texas life!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!