Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

TXpedition Holiday Overland

• 9 Replies

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
TXpedition Holiday Overland
« on: December 09, 2016, 08:28:01 AM »
A group of us are heading out to BBRSP for the week between Xmas and NYE.
Hitting up Nowhere and the mines on the east side, then working out way back west, ending up at Casa Ramon.
We will be trying to work our way across using the main road as little as possible. I've got the campsite reservations and can't barely wait another 2 weeks till we hit the trails.
If you see 3 FJ's and a Wrangler out there, it's us. 
It's been 2 years since I've been to the Bend and I'm excited to be heading back!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline kv5e

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
  • Quantum Electrodynamic Cowboy
Re: TXpedition Holiday Overland
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »
Great!!!! I'd like to join up in my TACO, but too much family stuff happening in that week.

I know you guys wheel in Moab too.....I had a ball on the White Rim with the wife.

Craig
Craig

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »
FYI,... the Road to Nowhere is currently blocked by a large boulder.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »
Great!!!! I'd like to join up in my TACO, but too much family stuff happening in that week.

I know you guys wheel in Moab too.....I had a ball on the White Rim with the wife.

Craig
Tell the family this is more important!  haha

I personally haven't been to Moab yet, but some of the folks I wheel with went this past July. Utah is pretty much on my bucket list now. Even more so than Black Bear Pass in Colorado.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »
FYI,... the Road to Nowhere is currently blocked by a large boulder.
Just my luck, lol.  Are the mines near there still accessible?
Also, any update on the Javelin trail?  I think that's what it's called.  It's east end is by Mexicano and the west end is by Los Cuates.
If time permits we also want to take the Botella trail you mentioned once before... The east trail I think is what you suggested.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »
Everything else should be clear if rough. Our road guy is working Javalin Road from Sauceda to Javalin Pens this week.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
Everything else should be clear if rough. Our road guy is working Javalin Road from Sauceda to Javalin Pens this week.
Awesome, thank you for the update.
I've been to Nowhere, but the guys I'm taking haven't.  We'll still get some great wheeling and camping and exploring in.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
Hey, so just an update in case anyone is following this thread.
We camped at Tres Papalotes the first night. While there, we hit Nowhere. The boulder was there, but not blocking the trail. Looks like it had been pushed aside a bit.
The 2 mines are great to go explore, but the Magnesium mine doesn't have a great spot to turn around on, if there are more than 3 rigs. Also, the edge of the trail was a bit loose and one of our guys put his tire on the edge and almost slid down.

The Paseo Al Solitario is a fantastic trail !!   I'd suggest going with at least 2 rigs so that you can spot each other in some spots.  Also, recovery gear if it's been raining.

We took the Javelin trail between Javelin Pens and the Oso Loop.  This is a GREAT trail that is easy to moderate skill levels.  It has some steep hills and some spots to navigate around, but doable if you pay attention. If you've gone on the Oso Loop, you can do this trail.

Stayed at Mexicano #2 and Las Burras #1  Both are great spots, but we liked Mexicano the best.

We never did get to Casa Ramon.  We had one rig depart early and the weather got a little wet and colder.  We decided to save that destination for another trip down there. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:00:47 PM by RichardM »
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:04:40 AM »
BW, thanks for the update.  That's a lot of wide open out there.  Those gas cans sure are skinny.  I've never seen that.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
BW, thanks for the update.  That's a lot of wide open out there.  Those gas cans sure are skinny.  I've never seen that.
My Pleasure.  It is some beautiful and quiet space out there.
The gas cans are from a company called Rotopax. It's a pretty compact and useful system.  I bought the "blemished" ones and got a discount.
www.rotopax.com is where you can find them.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!