Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big cats in the Pecos country

• 16 Replies

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Big cats in the Pecos country
« on: December 12, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »
Came across this today
http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/news/20161211/local-hunter-bags-monster-mountain-lion

I can't say I'm really crazy about taking down something that I'm not going to eat.

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
Re: Big cats in the Pecos country
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »
 Being on the other end of the food chain wouldn't be fun either. But  I do agree with eating what you take.

Sent from flat land

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »
I hunt, but I won 't take a cat.

I passed on a big bobcat two seasons ago.  For some reason, I just feel like the cats and I are equal partners.  It's their place too.

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline bracketboy89

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
I saw a post online of a hunter that shot two females that were together near Van Horn. I work on a cattle ranch and hunt deer and would never shoot a cat. I have no tolerance for predator hunting. They are ruthlessly and indiscriminately killed in Texas not only by hunters but also nation wide by the wildlife services division of F&W service.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »
I saw a post online of a hunter that shot two females that were together near Van Horn. I work on a cattle ranch and hunt deer and would never shoot a cat. I have no tolerance for predator hunting. They are ruthlessly and indiscriminately killed in Texas not only by hunters but also nation wide by the wildlife services division of F&W service.

Also a hunter but not a cat shooter.....however I might feel differently if I was a sheep and goat rancher.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline bracketboy89

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »

Also a hunter but not a cat shooter.....however I might feel differently if I was a sheep and goat rancher.
Perhaps so, but persecution of predators is an antiquated tradition with its roots based in when we truly were prey. That is not the case anymore. As for sheep and goats, there are effective ways to keep sheep and goats from dying (dogs, electric fencing, etc...) But those things cost money and more importantly WORK, planning, and ingenuity and even still, domestic sheep and goats are often worthless at survival and pretty much prone to dying anyways. To many people are doing it grandaddy way but grandaddy ruined a lot of things....

My comment about wildlife services is more of a separate issue than hunting. Ranchers grazing on federal land have one hell of a deal already; one that the rest of us will never have an opportunity at even though we own that land too. Without getting to political, I would prefer that my tax dollars did not fund trapping of wildlife on public lands (blm, forest service) at the behest of large ranching lobbies. I also would like it if my tax dollars did not pay for a federal trapper to run lines on my deer lease which is on private property in Kinney County.

As far as lions in Texas, they deserve the status of a game animal with a regulated season. The puma is an iconic symbol of the west worthy of some level of protection.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:13 PM »

I am sorry but it is no longer acceptable to kill cats/predators anywhere in the world.  We need the few animals that are left at the top of the food chain to do their job.  It is probably too late at this point but we at least should try to keep the ship somewhat balanced.

Before you all jump on me, I am a farmer, have a rifle to deal with varmits that eat my produce and try to eat my birds (deer, groundhogs, coyotes, neighbors dogs).  If we had more big cats (we do have big bobcats) I would have less problems with the others whose population is out of control in many ways because we don't have a system in balance.   :eusa_hand:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline bracketboy89

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »

I am sorry but it is no longer acceptable to kill cats/predators anywhere in the world.  We need the few animals that are left at the top of the food chain to do their job.  It is probably too late at this point but we at least should try to keep the ship somewhat balanced.

Before you all jump on me, I am a farmer, have a rifle to deal with varmits that eat my produce and try to eat my birds (deer, groundhogs, coyotes, neighbors dogs).  If we had more big cats (we do have big bobcats) I would have less problems with the others whose population is out of control in many ways because we don't have a system in balance.   :eusa_hand:
Exactly, 20 million white tailed deer in North America, more than ever before!

This is often told to brag about wildlife management of today and how far we have come, but hunters can't kill even kill the number of deer that are reproduced every year. The number grows every year, and deer are eating themselves out of house and home; destroying habitats such as the Hill Country, now devoid of critical shrubs and forbs in many places.

It is an unfortunate tale we have written regarding predators in North America. Aldo Leopold's description of the Kaibab Plateau and the results of predator elimination on the deer herd is something everyone should have a look at if you doubt the damage predator removal can do:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaibab_Plateau

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 09:15:34 PM »
hunters can't kill even kill the number of deer that are reproduced every year.

My sister owns a ranch just west of Pandale (a few miles away from where the big cat was killed).  They have a management plan with the state and are required to harvest a certain number of deer each year.  Sometimes it gets a little onerous, I'm told.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »

you've got a point
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline bracketboy89

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:31:24 PM »
hunters can't kill even kill the number of deer that are reproduced every year.

My sister owns a ranch just west of Pandale (a few miles away from where the big cat was killed).  They have a management plan with the state and are required to harvest a certain number of deer each year.  Sometimes it gets a little onerous, I'm told.
We are on a plan with TPWD as well and I will tell you people have no idea how many deer there are out there. The ranch I work on is 4300 acres in the Hill Country with approximately 400 deer on it. We are taking 70 this year. We took close to 85 last year. Now, imagine for a truly large ranch further out in the Edwards Plateau or South Texas Brush where high deer densities and large ranches co-occur. Imagine the 100's of deer that may have to be harvested each and every year, just to keep the range from going to s#+@ and the deer from starving. Hunters saying mountain lions will eat "their" deer just is not a valid excuse, yet I hear it often.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
We are taking 70 this year. We took close to 85 last year.

Dang!  My sister and brother-in-law thought they had it bad having to harvest 30-45.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »

I would prefer that my tax dollars did not fund trapping of wildlife on public lands (blm, forest service) at the behest of large ranching lobbies. I also would like it if my tax dollars did not pay for a federal trapper to run lines on my deer lease which is on private property in Kinney County.

I have a whole list of things that I would prefer my tax dollars didn't pay for, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

I suspect that habitat destruction and human encroachment are far greater threats to Felis concolor than the number of lions killed by hunters and trappers.  That should be the real focus.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:28:44 PM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 11:07:37 PM »
I suspect that habitat destruction and human encroachment are far greater threats to Felis concolor than the number of lions killed by hunters and trappers.  That should be the real focus.

Granted.  I am dismayed and saddened, I suppose, by the fact that this cat had survived for so long, in the face of said habitat destruction and human encroachment, only to be taken down in order to be put up on someone's den wall.  And at such a disadvantage.  I might have more admiration for the hunter if there was some real contest involved.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 05:11:58 AM »

I would prefer that my tax dollars did not fund trapping of wildlife on public lands (blm, forest service) at the behest of large ranching lobbies. I also would like it if my tax dollars did not pay for a federal trapper to run lines on my deer lease which is on private property in Kinney County.

I have a whole list of things that I would prefer my tax dollars didn't pay for, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Great point.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!