Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Cactus and Rocks

• 2 Replies

Offline Hang10er

• Coyote
Cactus and Rocks
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
In the early 70's my grandparents had a cactus and rock shop in Sanderson, Texas.  The shop was called "Mangum's Cactus & Rocks" and sat on a corner lot on Highway 90 and some cross street.  I was very young but for some reason I thought it was on the north side of the highway in town.  I would cross the highway and walk to the cliff on the other side of the railroad track and play in the shallow caves along the cliff.  Those caves can still be seen from the highway. 

My dad dug a pit in the yard and placed rattlesnakes in it.  They added "live rattlesnakes" to the sign in an effort to get tourists to stop.  The top of the pit had a screen so people could drop coins down in an effort to get the snakes to rattle. 

They had a house on the property where they lived. They were only there a few years before moving the shop just south of San Antonio on Highway 281.  The snake pit didn't go.

I was wondering if by chance any of you seasoned guys on here remember it.  My grandfather passed away in the 70's and my dad passed last year.  Sanderson doesn't seem to have changed much but I just can't remember what corner it was or what the house looked like.   Every time I go to BiBE I try and guess where the shop was. 

Offline Homer Wilson

• Diamondback
Re: Cactus and Rocks
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »
Do you know where the caves are? I don't recall seeing them driving through.  I'm not an old timer, but I've been through Sanderson quite a few times.  I think most of the buildings there are from or before the 70s, and except for a couple locations where a new building is (which are pretty rare), nothing gets torn down, it just dilapidates.  So it seems that if we find the caves, we can probably figure out pretty closely where the store was. 

I've always liked Sanderson, thanks for sharing a cool story about its history

Offline Hang10er

• Coyote
Re: Cactus and Rocks
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 07:55:51 AM »
Homer,

The caves are very shallow and low.  They are right at the end of 4th Street across the railroad tracks (south of Highway 90).  I'm pretty sure the business was right in that area.  Last time through I drove up and down the highway.  Like you said, most of the building look like they were there from the era my grandparents, I just didn't recognize the place.  I was very young and trying hard to remember I think the house they lived in, was an old business of some type.  It had a large yard or maybe a lot attached and that's where they had the hothouses for the cactus.  Those would obviously be all gone now. They were only there a few years but I thought someone might remember.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!