Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Rice Tank

• 6 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Rice Tank
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
RT1 (there used to be a second Rice Tank site: RT2)

The Rice Tank campsites are located next to an old stock tank, just over four miles down the Glenn Spring Road.

Site Name    RT-1    RT-2
Vehicles    2    2
Persons    6    6
Horses    no    no

How to Get There
The Nugent Mountain campsites are fairly small adjacent sites located just over a mile down the Glenn Spring Road. Return to the Backcountry Roadside Campsite page Campsite Photos

Usual Road Conditions
The Glenn Spring Road and all campsite roads are recommended for high clearance vehicles only. Road conditions can deteriorate quickly after heavy rains. Ruts are the norm on this road. There are many arroyos to cross. Ask a Park Ranger for the latest road conditions. Current road conditions...

Ground Cover/Shade
No shade available. Moderate ground cover due to vegetation around the old earthen "tank".

Views
This campsite area is next to an old earthen tank used in the 1920's to hold water for livestock, as well as an old livestock corral and loading chute. Good views of the Chisos Mountains (South Rim) to the west and Elephant Tusk and Backbone Ridge are visible to the south.

River Access
None.

Cautionary Notes
The road can deteriorate rapidly after rain. High clearance vehicles are highly recommended at all times, and 4-wheel drive may sometimes be necessary, especially after rain.

Remarks
RT-1 and RT-2 are close to each other and would be suitable for splitting a large camping group between both sites. Do not attempt to camp in the historic corral; camping inside historic structures is prohibited.

A backcountry use permit is required (available at visitor centers). Campers are responsible for regulations listed on the permit. Camping is in designated sites for minimal impact on the surrounding vegetation.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:48:10 PM by RichardM »

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
Re: Rice Tank
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:04:44 PM »
This site is one of our favorites. It's off Glenn Springs Road so you don't have cars driving 10ft from your tent, it has amazing sunrise views of the Chisos, Nugent and Elephant Tusk. You are 20 minutes from pavement, so it has great access for a backcountry site. Also seems to be a lot of birds and bats there too.

Here's one of my favorite shots from 2006:

If you stay at this site, or any other backcountry site please :eusa_pray: please :eusa_pray: please  :eusa_pray: pack out your TP!
~Cookie

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
Great picture.
My experience there was a swarm of mosquitoes at the tank itself.

I was just passing through though.  Had a seen a morning like in your picture, I could see it could be a magical place.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »
Spent several nights out at Rice Tank last week. It's a very nice and peaceful site and far enough off Glenn spring road you don't get bothered by passing vehicles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
The only draw back is the research station the govment placed right in your viewing corridor.  Of all the desert in the park, they had to stick it there.  We happened to ask the ranger what is up with that site just this past month.  He said he has wondered about it also.  He said he has even tried to find out who set it up and who is responsible for it, but no one knew.  So, the rangers don't know how long it will be there or what it is researching.

My bet is those Jack wads who put it up have long graduated from their fancy college and forgot to tell the govment they are done.  I bet you a peso that the stuff slowly rots away just like the other research station that is slowly rotting away in Pine Canyon.

Just because I'm feeling the rant; ever notice how the govment park owners put the bear box at Pine Canyon #4 right in the very center of the vista from the campsite towards Crown Mountain and Lost Mine Peak.  And they KNOW what's best for the park.     :eusa_clap:

That picture brings a tear to my eye. 
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
I have not been to Pine Canyon for a few years but last time I was there I noticed a lot of large plastic water tanks and PVC pipes all over the place just off the trail a little bit up from the parking lot.  It looked abandoned and junky at that time is it still there?  Seems like it should have been cleaned up and removed a long time ago.  Whatever project this "research" was involved in must have ended back in 2006 or earlier.   The weather station (or whatever it is) down near Rice Tank looks a lot newer and more active/recent.  As far as I know it's only been there 3-5 years??  TWWG

Offline Jonathan Sadow

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
The only draw back is the research station the govment placed right in your viewing corridor.  Of all the desert in the park, they had to stick it there.  We happened to ask the ranger what is up with that site just this past month.  He said he has wondered about it also.  He said he has even tried to find out who set it up and who is responsible for it, but no one knew.  So, the rangers don't know how long it will be there or what it is researching.

My bet is those Jack wads who put it up have long graduated from their fancy college and forgot to tell the govment they are done.  I bet you a peso that the stuff slowly rots away just like the other research station that is slowly rotting away in Pine Canyon.

I noted it on my visit in October 2014:

14A16011
by Jonathan Sadow, on Flickr

I asked in my trip report if anyone knew what it is, and I suppose even the rangers don't know....  For what it's worth, my guess is that it's a vegetative study plot.  It did look like it was being tended for, but I guess it's not for us to know what for....

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!