Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend Weather link

• 7 Replies

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Big Bend Weather link
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:13:57 AM »
Just thought I'd share this:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=big+bend+national+park

The forecast is the standar NOAA forecast for the Big Bend area, but the current conditions are sourced from the PJ weather station.  You can also change the source to the Chisos weather station, or to Alpine, Marfa, Ft Stockton, or Dryden.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Big Bend Weather link
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »
Just thought I'd share this:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=big+bend+national+park

The forecast is the standar NOAA forecast for the Big Bend area, but the current conditions are sourced from the PJ weather station.  You can also change the source to the Chisos weather station, or to Alpine, Marfa, Ft Stockton, or Dryden.
Or if you want to go straight to the Chisos Basin forecast:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=big+bend+national+park&theprefset=79834199999WS&theprefvalue=MCSBT2

Lots of useful stuff, like star charts, moon data, etc.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
Okay guys, can you in this webpage put coordinates and get detail weather as well for such specific place?, if not, d you of another site that can?....you very well know where i am getting at, of course. :icon_wink:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »
Okay guys, can you in this webpage put coordinates and get detail weather as well for such specific place?, if not, d you of another site that can?....you very well know where i am getting at, of course. :icon_wink:
Wunderground allows you to select a specific weather station.  WeatherMole allows you to specify a location (either by name or coordinates) and either grabs the forecast from the nearest station or interpolates between the closest available stations retrieves the forecast data from NOAA (aka www.weather.gov) for that location.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:42:23 AM by RichardM »

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »
Something else I really like about wunderground is they have a very usable mobile page, that works great when trying to get weather on the road, or otherwise away from a computer.  http://m.wund.com
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »
Wunderground allows you to select a specific weather station.  WeatherMole allows you to specify a location (either by name or coordinates) and either grabs the forecast from the nearest station or interpolates between the closest available stations retrieves the forecast data from NOAA (aka www.weather.gov) for that location.
Why not just use the NOAA page?  Unless there's something I'm not getting about what Weather Mole does, It seems that the NOAA page lets you do all of what you described. 

Just go to NOAA's forecast page and type in "big bend national park, tx" and then scroll down to the map at the bottom of the page and click on a more specific local on the map.  It gives you weather data for that specific location...right? 

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:48:28 AM »
Why not just use the NOAA page?  Unless there's something I'm not getting about what Weather Mole does, It seems that the NOAA page lets you do all of what you described. 

Just go to NOAA's forecast page and type in "big bend national park, tx" and then scroll down to the map at the bottom of the page and click on a more specific local on the map.  It gives you weather data for that specific location...right? 
Yes, but what if you want a forecast for a location where there is no specific locale listed?  That's the whole point of WeatherMole, is that it extracts the data from NOAA for any given point rather than from a specified station.  There may be a way to get that data from NOAA, but it isn't obvious.  Use whichever works for you.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »
I guess I just need to check out Weather Mole and see for myself.   :eusa_think:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!