Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Heavens-Above (star charts, satellites, etc)

• 23 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Heavens-Above (star charts, satellites, etc)
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
Another satellite tracking resource based on zip code:
I wonder if one of the "shooting stars" was the tool kit.
Nope, the tool kit is still in orbit - there's a nice website that will tell you when to look for interesting things in orbit -

http://www.spaceweather.com/flybys/index.php

When I input my zip code (north central San Antonio), it tells me I can see the tool kit (ISS toolbag) on Dec 18 and 20, though because of the light pollution I'll need binoculars.
FYI, Big Bend's zip code is 79834
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:08:51 PM by RichardM »

Offline Lorax

• Coyote
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »
Thanks!  These are great resources.  They work even in the North East.

Ted

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »
Assuming the weather cooperates, there should be some good viewing opps around the state. The shuttle is due to undock this afternoon so you should be able to spot both shuttle and ISS tonight. Also, there is a Progress vehicle up there that might be visible as well. Check the ISS Pass Info post for links to various viewing locations. Once you've brought up the ISS viewing page, you can click on the "Home" link at the top to see links for the shuttle (STS-127) and anything else that might be visible.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:01 PM »
Here's the 15 second view of the shuttle followed by the ISS from my light-polluted, skeeter-infested, suburban Houston backyard. I decided to forgo shooting on a delay (which may or may not have helped minimize camera shake due to my cheap wobbly tripod) since I was in a hurry getting set up. No luck on spotting Progress, but then I never did find data on when it was going over.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:54:25 PM by RichardM »

Offline Terlingua50337

• Diamondback
  • West Texas road trip? Get in......... I'll drive!
    • Leeds Fine Western Art Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »
You can get Iridium Flare viewing times/coordiates too. Heavens-Above is on my favorites list.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »
You can get Iridium Flare viewing times/coordiates too. Heavens-Above is on my favorites list.
Ayup, flares are covered in this topic

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
You do not know how many times i have tried to schedule getting out in my porch and and look for the ISS. However each time i want to go out,for some reason i am laying in my bed dead tired,i open my eyes then close them, then i open my eyes then i close them once again, then it is morning. In a blink of an eye. I do not even rest enough as it is...... :eusa_snooty:

My wife kicked out my girls after they were running ,yelling and wrestling in my bed...with the T.V. on. Never noticed it.

I still have hope in crossing the ISS,sometime soon. :eusa_pray:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »
Saw it pass tonight. Nice and bright, but lots of skeeters. Friday night looks good for a high elevation pass.

Also Venus, Mars and Saturn are aligning near the moon at about the same time
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
For anyone who happens to be in the park on July 19, the International Space Station will be passing almost directly overhead. For optimal viewing, be on top of Emory Peak (or Casa Grande) so you can watch it from horizon to horizon. ;)

https://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?lat=29.2675&lng=-103.3&alt=0&loc=Chisos%20Basin&TZ=CST&satid=25544

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!