Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Backcountry Permit Software

• 77 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Backcountry Permit Software
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
Jim,
do the numbers in the graph include all backcountry permits?  Backpackers (zone campers), backcountry roadside sites and river use?  Is it possible to get a breakdown of those three groups?  I love my stats, thanks.   :icon_biggrin:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
Re: Backcountry Trivia
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
The graph is for ALL permits.  I have not done the (tedious) work of separating the types of permits.

There is also the issue of how to count; theoretically a single permit could be issued for Chisos, roadside, zone, and river camping.  The overlapping on one permit can confuse the issue.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:56:00 PM by Jim »

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Assuming a permit can consist of more than one reservation, is what is being plotted the number of reservations per day or the permits per day? Tricky thing would be to sort them by reservation type, i.e. designated, roadside, zone, or river, which is probably handled in the database with a flag. Queries could be fairly easily written assuming access to a basic database utility.  :eusa_eh:

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
is what is being plotted the number of reservations per day or the permits per day?

To confirm, it's simply the number of permits issued day by day.

here's the same info in graph form of the average number of permits issued per day for the past two years
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:36:48 AM by Jim »

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 12:06:56 PM »
Answers in a few days.

For those inquiring minds who want to know:

1) What is the most occupied Chisos camp site (based on days per year covered by a permit)?  SW-4 Southwest Rim, followed by TM-1 Toll Mountain, and SW3 Southwest Rim

2) What is the least occupied Chisos camp site?  NE-5 Northeast Rim, followed by LW-2 Laguna West, and BL-2 and BL-1 Blue Creek

3) What is the most occupied Roadside camp site?  GH1 Grapevine Hills, followed by PG1 Paint Gap, PC5 Pine Canyon, and KB2 K-Bar

4) What is the least occupied Roadside camp site?  JR1 Johnson Ranch, followed by JR2 Johnson Ranch, DT1 Dominguez Trailhead, and TC1 Telephone Canyon

5) Excluding river zones, what is the most used zone (based on total "permit-days" since multiple permits are allowed per day)?  By far, the top 3 zones are C04 Dodson Zone, followed by C05 Blue Creek Zone, followed by C03 Lower Juniper Zone.  Other than these three OML zones, E08 Marufo Vega Zone comes in fourth.

6) Which zone has never had a permit issued for it in the past two years?  N04 - North Rosillos Zone
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:07:23 PM by Jim »

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
6) Which zone has never had a permit issued for it in the past two years?  N04 - North Rosillos Zone

Now that is just screaming to be answered  :icon_biggrin: Someone needs to take up that challenge.

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »
Another year has come and gone for El Campo.  With 3 full years of data now, it might be of interest to some to see the distribution of ALL PERMITS issued by month and by day of the week.

So you might find solitude on a Tuesday in August!  :icon_smile:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:49:22 PM by Jim »

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »
Jim, this is great thanks.  Do you have a breakdown between backcountry permits and roadside campsites?  And last year you teased us with which zones were least visited, possible again?
no shade, no water

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Jim, this is great thanks.  Do you have a breakdown between backcountry permits and roadside campsites?  And last year you teased us with which zones were least visited, possible again?

I can slice and dice by campsite usage, but PERMITS cannot be binomially defined as either backcountry XOR roadside since it is not unusual for a permit to contain both those types of campsites.  But for a specific date range I can show you a bar graph of the number of days used for individual campsites grouped by Chisos/Roadside/Zone/River.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 03:26:09 PM »
Yes, I forgot that permits can have everything on them.  What I am really interested in is Zone vs. everything else.
no shade, no water

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »
Yes, I forgot that permits can have everything on them.  What I am really interested in is Zone vs. everything else.

Here are the number of days each site was used overt the past 366 days (the past year) for Roadside, Chisos, Zone, and River.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 06:09:39 PM »
For the Zone and River plots:  Are those "Total calendar days permitted" or "Total permit days"?  :eusa_think:

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 06:15:20 PM »
Ugh... terminology.

Total Permit Days - since zone and river sites may have more than one permit associated with it on any particular calendar day.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2016, 06:42:07 PM »
Ugh... terminology.

Total Permit Days - since zone and river sites may have more than one permit associated with it on any particular calendar day.
Thanks! Those are very useful and informative plots!  :great:

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
Awesome stuff Jim, one last request (I think), can you do zone by month?  If not this is an incredible amount of info, always grateful for you volunteer work!
no shade, no water

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!