Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Backcountry Permit Software

• 77 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Backcountry Permit Software
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »
Awesome stuff Jim, one last request (I think), can you do zone by month?  If not this is an incredible amount of info, always grateful for you volunteer work!
Thinking along with you here, ME... Perhaps one each for the four zones most heavily used? Would be informative for OML and MV hiking...

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 08:30:12 PM »
Is there an average number of people per permit number?  My guess is 3 or 4.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
Awesome stuff Jim, one last request (I think), can you do zone by month?  If not this is an incredible amount of info, always grateful for you volunteer work!
Thinking along with you here, ME... Perhaps one each for the four zones most heavily used? Would be informative for OML and MV hiking...

Here's a spreadsheet of site usage by month for the past 366 days.  The subtotals are by campsite type and district.

Now my challenge to Mule Ears and Flash: turn these numbers into graphs and post them back to the chat board!

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2016, 08:59:20 PM »
Is there an average number of people per permit number?  My guess is 3 or 4.

OK, that's enough work for today or I'm going to have to start charging by the hour.    :)

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
 WOW!   :kaos-cactus06:

Update: I am currently parsing the "nnn-mmm" format into separate columns for permits and people for the zone data all the data. Maybe When I am done, I will post it back to here, if perhaps someone else can make some pretty bar graphs. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:46:17 PM by Flash »

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:46 PM »
Attached is the spreadsheet with the data parsed, cleaned up, and then with added separate sheets for permits and also for people.  :great:

- Flash

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 06:39:08 AM »
I am humbled.   :notworthy:

This is like Christmas, I will have to save this for later to wade through.  Thank you Jim and Flash.  I am sure BK will be along soon with some charts.
no shade, no water

Offline jdamon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 11:05:49 AM »
Hey guys!  Excel is what I do, so I made some fun charts out of that data.  Let me know what else you'd like to see, and I'll see if I can whip it up.

My most fun finding so far is the last slide, which shows us which zone is the party zone (Hint: it's W01C - Maravillas Canyon to Dryden Crossing).

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
Hey guys!  Excel is what I do, so I made some fun charts out of that data.  Let me know what else you'd like to see, and I'll see if I can whip it up.

My most fun finding so far is the last slide, which shows us which zone is the party zone (Hint: it's W01C - Maravillas Canyon to Dryden Crossing).

Some nice charts jdamon, I would suggest that you have some apples mixed with the oranges as you have river zones (TO1, WO1A, WO1C) with backcountry zones so the comparisons are not relative unless you meant it to be that way.
no shade, no water

Offline jdamon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »
I was just trying to find which areas are most popular, but you're right. I mixed all zones together.  If you guys want to know anything specific, let me know what it is.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »
If you guys want to know anything specific, let me know what it is.
Hi jdamon,

This is how I'd like my pizza please, sir: 

Take the 4 back country zones with the most traffic, i.e. Marufo Vega, Lower Juniper, Dodson, and Blue Creek. Make a line graph plotting months on the x-axis and # people on the y-axis. Use different line types/symbols so that even the color blind can easily tell which line is which. Scale the y-axis so the range is no greater than necessary to fit the data.   :dance:

Thanks,

Flash

Offline jdamon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »
Like this?

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »
More cool results, thanks for the new charts.

A few early observations from a backpackers/backcountry/zone use point of view.

15806 total people camped in the backcountry (away from the road), that is 43 people a day in 800,000 acres.  If you take out the Chisos sites which account for a whopping two thirds of all people and the 3 "OML" zones that reduces the number to 2634.

If you then take out Marufo Vega (510), the MDA (485), Mule Ears (195), Chimneys (185) and Upper Smoky Creek (137) which all but the MDA swell dis-proportionally with people during Spring Break but are still more "heavily" used that leaves only 1122 people using the entire rest of the park over an entire year!  Considering that people really only go to those areas for about 6 months that works out to be 6 people a day in the vast majority of the parks backcountry during those 6 months!   :icon_eek:

The people numbers are more important than permit numbers in the zones as that is what they use to determine how many permits they can issue.  Conversely permit numbers are more important in the Chisos, as once that site is reserved that takes it off the board, regardless of how many people in the party.

So while BC2, SW3, CO1, SW4, LM2 have, by far, the biggest people numbers all of them, other than SW4, are group sites and can hold a lot more people.  The hardest sites to get a permit for are actually SW4, SW3 and TM1 and an argument could be made for SE1 and SE2 with high numbers even though they are closed for 4 months a year and during spring break.

The numbers also confirm my thoughts that for the backcountry the least visited time of year when the weather is the most pleasant parkwide and you would run into the fewest people is February.

This is only one years numbers and I think that visitation was especially high during the holidays and Spring Break over the last year even though the year to date numbers through July show a slight decrease.  It would be interesting to see all 3 years worth of data but I would not want to ask too much of Jim (and then Flash).   :icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:21:18 PM by mule ears »
no shade, no water

Offline kv5e

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
  • Quantum Electrodynamic Cowboy
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »
Like this?

Correlation coefficient ~1 for Spring Break peak!
Craig

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!