Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Backcountry Permits are going online soon, but......

• 74 Replies

Re: Backcountry Permits are going online soon, but......
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 05:52:41 PM »
$6/night if you have annual pass, if I read that right, for backcountry sites.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 06:04:14 PM »
Backcountry Camping: $12 per night, $6 with applicable interagency pass (currently $12 per permit).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »
Hmm. Must read and ponder...

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 06:28:48 PM »
The fee increase for back country camping is huge.  From $12 per permit to $12 per night!  That's ridiculous!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »
Be sure to make your voices heard, whether for or against.  Don't assume they're reading this, so be sure to contact them directly :

Big Bend National Park staff welcome your feedback on these proposals. Please provide your comments by September 15th, 2019. Comments may be submitted online through the National Park Service Planning website, http://parkplanning.nps.gov/bibe, by email to: bibe_planning@nps.gov; or through regular mail to:
Superintendent
PO Box 129
Big Bend National Park, TX 79834-0129.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
The fee increase for back country camping is huge.  From $12 per permit to $12 per night!  That's ridiculous!

If I read it correctly it will not apply to the sites you usually prefer like along the OOR and Fresno.  Equally it doesn't look like it will apply to zone camping which I almost always do.  It makes some sense to charge more for the heavily used roadside sites and the Chisos backcountry sites.

I will be contacting them to check on all of the above though.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »

If I read it correctly it will not apply to the sites you usually prefer like along the OOR and Fresno.  Equally it doesn't look like it will apply to zone camping which I almost always do.  It makes some sense to charge more for the heavily used roadside sites and the Chisos backcountry sites.

It's about as clear as mud.  Please also ask if the fees are required to be paid at the time of the reservation to help prevent abuse of the reservation system.  Also what are the applicable interagency passes?

Thank  you for all that you do!

Offline NatureBoyFatAdam

• Roadrunner
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »

It makes some sense to charge more for the heavily used roadside sites and the Chisos backcountry sites.

Yes it does. Wasn't a $12 permit good for up to two weeks?
What was the point of eighty six cents a night for a two week permit?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 07:46:36 PM »

I read the "First 58 sites..." then toted up all the backcountry sites where they explicitly list them, assumed they meant all of them (E.g. all four at Paint Gap), and all the CHisos Mtn sites and came up with almost 58, give or take a couple.  So that seems to be them.

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »

It's about as clear as mud.  Please also ask if the fees are required to be paid at the time of the reservation to help prevent abuse of the reservation system.  Also what are the applicable interagency passes?

Park Service calls their Annual Pass "Interagency Passes" https://store.usgs.gov/pass so I"m assuming it's the Annual or Senior Passes.

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 07:51:42 PM »
It looks like they are exactly the same as the fees for the State Park.  By contrast Great Smoky Mountains charges $4 a night per person to a max of $20 for all backpacking sites but there is no entrance fee, so if you have 4 people in your group the max permit cost would be $80.  Front country campsites run from 17.50 to $25 a night depending on popularity. GSMNP is the most visited park in the NPS system.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:58:44 PM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »

Park Service calls their Annual Pass "Interagency Passes" https://store.usgs.gov/pass so I"m assuming it's the Annual or Senior Passes.

That would be my assumption too but I hate assumptions.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »
The proposals all SUCK!

They would have a fine permit system if they would allow more than the 3 rangers at the backcountry permit office to issue them during peak days.  How about issue them at all the visitor centers, like the Compendium says it will be handled.  They caused this problem when they got rid of the old system, now all of us unwashed have to pay for their solution.

The permit system is already developed.  We aren't getting squat for the extra money.  Modest increase my ass.  My 10 day thanksgiving trip went from $12 to $120.  And I have to reserve my spots 6 months in advance.  That sure as heck will "enhance "my big bend experience. 

12 nights at Devil's Kitchen and surrounding sites in the needles district (Utah) costs $30  You have to have a modified 4x4 to get to them (pretty much zero road maintance preformed).  You get your choice of 2 backcountry toilets.  All the other sites come with a nice pit toilet.  Where's the comparison with the scrapped off site where people have dug a hole and crapped in the middle of the tent site at Pine Canyon?

Not one word about canceling peoples permits who don't show up the first 24 hours.  This is the electronic age.   The system should be able to handle cancelations via cell phones.  But NO!  Now more sites will go empty and unused, but they still got paid.  ( This is the REAL motive for the reservation system)

And who are all these people they say have been crying for the expansion of the reservation system?  All who that were happy with the present system didn't bitch and I sure wasn't asked for my opinion of changing the system when I was there last month.  They know exactly who has come to the park, and how many times they have been there.  How about a questionnaire  to the people who most frequent the park?

Freak'n Govment!  Why is the answer ALWAYS "Charge more money"?  I know, I know. ....  It's because they keep their jobs no matter how they perform.     
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:09:42 PM by elhombre »
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »
* Chisos Basin Campground: increase reservable sites to 2/3rds (#1-40), reservations available year-round, up to 6 months in advance.

* Rio Grande Village Campground: increase reservable sites to 2/3rds (#1-60), reservations available up to 6 months in advance for the period of November 1 through April 15.

Not sure what they mean here by "(#1-40)". Do they mean Sites 1 - 40 will ALL be reservable now, 6-months in advance?  I think the Loop 1 sites should remain walk up only. Not everyone has a fixed schedule such that it all gets rigidly planned out. At the same time honoring the early bird is good motivation. Also, making ALL Chisos CG sites walk up only during the heat of summer (June-Aug.) is a good idea.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!