Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Black Gap Road

• 4 Replies

Offline MStav

• Kangaroo Rat
Black Gap Road
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »
I will be arriving in BIBE on the 25th and plan to base @Elephant Tusk for a few days.I have never traveled Black Gap Road. If anyone can give any tips or things I may need to watch for it would be helpful.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Black Gap Road
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
The River Road has taken a beating lately and it may or may not be passable.  The Black Gap is usually pretty smooth sailing from the River Road up to the Elephant Tusk campsite, however with all the rain this summer, it might not be too easy going.  Past the ET site it gets rough and it is a slow, long, haul up to Glenn Springs.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline cjacob

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »
It is easier to run from RR to GS then to RR from GS.  I have done it in 2wd in dry years with no issues both ways.  I did have to get out and stack rocks.  Now in a Range Rover I had to do nothing and thought about unstacking rocks where they where stacked. 

I IMHO think RR West can be FAR worst when it comes to the road then BG. Esp if it rained and they ahve not regraded the road.  I have been lost in a wash or 2 over the years when I did not have GPS to help me back track in the dark. 

Offline MStav

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »
Thanks, I should arrive @ PJ around 3 ,get permits and head out to ET. I want to get to ET ASAP so I can enjoy the 1st night in BIBE.It has been almost 2 years since my last trip.Way too long.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:11:51 AM »
Black Gap and River Road will likely be pretty bad due to the rains.  You need to check in with the Rangers at PJ and ask. We can sit here all day telling you how good or bad it is but it really won't mean anything until you get there and ask.  Having said that, Black Gap can be pretty dangerous (from GS to ET) if you're not careful no matter how dry or wet it is.  With the wet weather, I highly recommend 4wd whether you go down GS to BG or RR to BG.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!