Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Car camping in back country + weather

• 6 Replies

Offline thicks92

• Kangaroo Rat
Car camping in back country + weather
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
Hello, I'm going down to BB in mid December for 4 days or so, and my gf and I will be sleeping in my Rav4.
My plan was originally to camp in back country spots all around BB throughout the trip, but I see now that you have to choose one spot (at a time).
Has anyone ever had a trip at BB where you reserved one night at a time at different BC sites for your whole trip?
My goal was to be able to drive and see as much of BB as I can in single day per area increments. This is kind of my back up plan if Chisos is full when we get there.

Also I wanted to hear some average weather tips for mid December, so I can plan clothing, I have seen online averages of 70's in the day and 50's at night  :notworthy:

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
Re: Car camping in back country + weather
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
You should have no problems getting a different camp site for each night. I have done it many times. Just do a little planning ahead of time and have your sites picked out by the time you get to the park. Mid December is not usually crowded.

I recommend sleeping in a tent. And since you are car camping, weight is not an issue, so you can bring all the luxury items  :icon_smile:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:23:16 PM by Keepa »

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:58 PM »
You can choose different sites on the same permit. Yes  lots of truck campers will spend different nights at different sites.  I would suggest having a plan A,B,C that way if your first choice is taken you have strong second and third choices .
Weather, highs in 70s and lows in 50s  could happen, or it could be considerably colder than that. Don't skimp on the warm clothing and bedding.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 12:34:44 AM »
My first trip out to the Bend several years ago was a similar "round the park in 4 days" adventure. We had a group of 5 vehicles and 13 people starting in the Chisos, then running through the park roads clockwise, east to west during Spring Break. We extended the trip to visit BBRSP and Ft. Davis. Our itinerary was something like this:

Friday/Saturday: Gathering at the basin, get permits and final planning.

Sunday: Wake up in the Chisos, make a big ole camp breakfast, and head to the Window and back. Strike camp and head to Dagger Flats via the Fossil Bone Exhibit for lunch. Head down OOR and camp at Telephone Canyon 1&2.

Monday: Ernst Tinaja, Boquillas Canyon, and RGV for some lunch, showers, ice, and supplies for the next 3 days. HIt the river road to Solis 1&2 for the night.

Tuesday: Went up to Mariscal Mine to check it out and take many photos. Took a right on Black Gap Rd and up to Glenn Springs for lunch. Came back to the River Rd via Glenn Springs Rd. We figured it would be faster than back down Black Gap, and it was. We ended up at our next planned campsite, Johnson Ranch. A long but very awesome day!

Wednesday: Explored the ranch (which used to be a US Army arifield in the '20s) and played in the river. Headed to Castolon and Santa Elena Canyon for lunch and a hike up the canyon to the boulder fields. Then we went up Maverick Rd and spent the night in town.

Thursday/Friday: BBRSP

Saturday: Ft. Davis and a star party to top off the trip.

In the end it was probably too ambitious, but we saw a LOT of stuff in a short period of time and planted the seed in 13 souls.

Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline Mesquito

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
One night per campsite is my pattern.  When I first stated doing this about 10 years ago I brought way to much gear.  Now Iím down to a cot-tent and a chair.  I use my Jeep bumper for a table.   

The thing is, if the set up is too elaborate I feel like I spend half the day breaking/making camp.  I may go farther than youíre willing to try by eliminating the ice chest, but the extra room is nice, as well as not dealing with the soupy mess.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »
Pack for cold weather, it can get cold in the evening.
My first time out there it was 20s at night, 50's/60's during the day.
My last trip it was 40's/70's, except the last night there.  It was 31 and rainy turned sleet.

I'll be out in the State Park again this year and I'll pack a parka and some long johns, also some shorts and t-shirts... just in case.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline thicks92

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
My first trip out to the Bend several years ago was a similar "round the park in 4 days" adventure. We had a group of 5 vehicles and 13 people starting in the Chisos, then running through the park roads clockwise, east to west during Spring Break. We extended the trip to visit BBRSP and Ft. Davis. Our itinerary was something like this:

Friday/Saturday: Gathering at the basin, get permits and final planning.

Sunday: Wake up in the Chisos, make a big ole camp breakfast, and head to the Window and back. Strike camp and head to Dagger Flats via the Fossil Bone Exhibit for lunch. Head down OOR and camp at Telephone Canyon 1&2.

Monday: Ernst Tinaja, Boquillas Canyon, and RGV for some lunch, showers, ice, and supplies for the next 3 days. HIt the river road to Solis 1&2 for the night.

Tuesday: Went up to Mariscal Mine to check it out and take many photos. Took a right on Black Gap Rd and up to Glenn Springs for lunch. Came back to the River Rd via Glenn Springs Rd. We figured it would be faster than back down Black Gap, and it was. We ended up at our next planned campsite, Johnson Ranch. A long but very awesome day!

Wednesday: Explored the ranch (which used to be a US Army arifield in the '20s) and played in the river. Headed to Castolon and Santa Elena Canyon for lunch and a hike up the canyon to the boulder fields. Then we went up Maverick Rd and spent the night in town.

Thursday/Friday: BBRSP

Saturday: Ft. Davis and a star party to top off the trip.

In the end it was probably too ambitious, but we saw a LOT of stuff in a short period of time and planted the seed in 13 souls.

We are planning on going to the Observatory, and I mentioned to my gf about going to BBSPR as well since that seems more car camping friendly and more free to roam.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!