Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

El Campo and Primitive/Backcountry Historic Site Availability Question

• 3 Replies

Online Owl

• Roadrunner
The below excerpt was posted on another camping site I watch.  I've noticed the same thing myself when checking past usage.  Are the sites really booked to that extent or is something else going on?

"I used the El Campo system to check the spot I'm interested in for late January/Early February and it looks like most spots stay booked year round. I picked a spot that's not been mentioned that much as a top tier location (chilocotal) and then started from early Jan. 2017 and went for much of the year it and most others look like they were staying booked. I thought Big Bend was supposed to be desolate and sparsely populated? Am I seeing it wrong,...they look incredibly competitive to come by?"

Online elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
Re: El Campo and Primitive/Backcountry Historic Site Availability Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
El campo allows you to go back and look at when the camping sites were permitted and possibly occupied.  Are you asking if the pink blocks mean someone was there?  No one keeps track of that.  But the pink block means someone paid $10 and said they will be camping there when they had their permit issued.

The park ain't what it use to be in respect to usage.  Just look around the campsites, and see the quantity of TP/crap not buried by the  faux outdoorsmen.

Good roads bring Bad people.
The older I get, the more I realize what freedom really means.  May God bless America

Online Owl

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »
El campo allows you to go back and look at when the camping sites were permitted and possibly occupied.  Are you asking if the pink blocks mean someone was there?  No one keeps track of that.  But the pink block means someone paid $10 and said they will be camping there when they had their permit issued.

The park ain't what it use to be in respect to usage.  Just look around the campsites, and see the quantity of TP/crap not buried by the  faux outdoorsmen.

Good roads bring Bad people.

Yes, the pink occupied blocks are what I was referring to.  I haven't been to Big Bend in six years and it appears usage has increased substantially.

Thanks.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »
Usage has increased, absolutely.  The park's Facebook page noted that last year (2017) visitor attendance was the largest in history, over 400,000 people.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!