Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Ideas for 1 day backpacking trip

• 12 Replies

Offline Texasdave21

• Kangaroo Rat
Ideas for 1 day backpacking trip
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:11:02 PM »
Hello All,

First of all just want to say what a great website this is. Me and my wife have been going to big bend a few years, and I had gotten info on this website, but this is my first time posting.
We were mostly day hikers but started doing backpacking recently and really enjoy it. We did Marufo Vega in late feb, was truly a wonderful, epic hike. We are looking for a 1 nighter for March 29-30. We are around 30, in decent shape, we like to take it slow and enjoy the scenery. We should arrive early around 8:30am at PJ to get permit, so we should be at the trailhead an hr or two after that depending on the trailhead we choose

We want to save the chisos for the warmer parts of the year.
I was thinking MDA until tinaja blanca and back. Another option is a loop starting at Mule Ears w/ Smoky Creek Trail, but would need help with this route. I have heard some people talk about a nice canyon in smoky creek trail going north from the junction w/ mule ears trail.

Thank you in advance

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Ideas for 1 day backpacking trip
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:44:42 PM »
MDA to Tinaja Blanca will take you like 3 hours. Why not just camp on the Point?  Youíre young. Days are growing longer. Say you donít get on trail til 10am, thatís 9 hours to get to the Point by sundown, about 14 miles. Download Gaia GPS map, you wonít get lost. Next day you start hiking out much earlier and more downhill than up, get out quicker.

Another fun thing to do is hike out and camp right by Mule Ears then spend time exploring around

Offline Texasdave21

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:04:37 PM »
thanks steel frog.
How much water is typically needed for the point and back? I would definitely like to get all the way to the point but would probably do it over 2 nights (we go at a slow pace, take alot of breaks, look at flora, etc) instead of 1 and my wife prefers to do 1 night.
Any other interesting options beyond tinaja blanca (not all the way to the point)?
Is Smokey Creek adjacent to Mule Ears worth exploring?

Offline robmaz49

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 06:43:30 AM »
funny you post this.  I was logging on to do the exact same! only difference is the wife and I are heading down this weekend.  Spur of the moment for us but take any chance we can to get out there and away from the city.  So I am looking forward to see what people say also.  MDA was one of our ideas along with mule ears! great minds think alike!. Anyways thanks for taking the lead on this one and good luck with whatever trail yall pick.

Offline Texasdave21

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 10:19:21 AM »
Great to hear Rob.
I am also considering a loop starting a mule ears, up smokey creek connecting w/ dodson trail up to homer wilson. From there I would use the route below to loop back to mule ears (instead of hitching a ride down via Maxwell):

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/664cafcd-f67b-4f0f-8501-349bbe0bb02b/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

I see comments that there is a manageable pour off near mesa bonita. Just hoping some can chime on how big it is or if its dangerous?

Homer67 used the route, didn't report negatives after completing hike just alot of water so I am thinking it was uneventful. The link to the discussion below (was just 3 wks ago):

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/hiking-the-desert-of-big-bend/questions-on-a-new-to-me-section-in-the-sq-homer-wilson-to-smoky-creek/msg168678/#msg168678

I like this route, would need to check the distance to see if it is doable for 1 night, if not this could be a nice, slow 2 night trip
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:34:01 AM by Texasdave21 »

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »

I think a hike to the MDA point and back is too ambitious for an overnighter.   13-14 miles is a lot to cover in that type of terrain.

Mule Ears, Apache Canyon, the South Rim, Banta Shut in and the Chimneys are all more reasonable, in my opinion.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Texasdave21

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:46:56 AM »
wow thanks catz. Those are great routes. I will have time to look over them to see what we end up choosing

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
Great to hear Rob.
I am also considering a loop starting a mule ears, up smokey creek connecting w/ dodson trail up to homer wilson. From there I would use the route below to loop back to mule ears (instead of hitching a ride down via Maxwell):

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/664cafcd-f67b-4f0f-8501-349bbe0bb02b/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

I see comments that there is a manageable pour off near mesa bonita. Just hoping some can chime on how big it is or if its dangerous?

Homer67 used the route, didn't report negatives after completing hike just alot of water so I am thinking it was uneventful. The link to the discussion below (was just 3 wks ago):

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/hiking-the-desert-of-big-bend/questions-on-a-new-to-me-section-in-the-sq-homer-wilson-to-smoky-creek/msg168678/#msg168678

I like this route, would need to check the distance to see if it is doable for 1 night, if not this could be a nice, slow 2 night trip

So that loop is around 22 miles, so not too bad for an overnighter if you get going first thing in the morning, one of the good things is that there is good water along the Smoky Creek trail and should be water in the drainage east of Goat Mtn..  The scramble around the pouroff at Mesa Bonita spring is not bad, steep but not bad, it is on the west or right side going down canyon.  I agree that an overnighter to the Point of the MDA is a much harder trip.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 06:35:49 AM »
Wouldn't it be a bit hot for the MDA as well??

Offline Texasdave21

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I am looking at weather as well. If itís over 80 I would avoid the MdA since Iíd imagine Iíd be pretty hot near the river side. I have read/experienced the temps increase substantially. When we backpacked Marufo Vega last month the 2nd day was kinda hot. I didnít have a thermometer but the temperature on my vehicle when we were driving out was like 90 at 5pm if I remember correctly and the weather forecast high was like 80

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 05:51:47 PM »

I think a hike to the MDA point and back is too ambitious for an overnighter.   13-14 miles is a lot to cover in that type of terrain.

Mule Ears, Apache Canyon, the South Rim, Banta Shut in and the Chimneys are all more reasonable, in my opinion.

Isn't the Apache Canyon area prohibited for overnight camping?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:02:10 PM »

Isn't the Apache Canyon area prohibited for overnight camping?

Fine as long as you camp below 3400 feet!   :icon_lol:

Offline Texasdave21

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 10:57:38 AM »
What do you guys think about the temperatures for MdA? I am thinking of going to the point with 2 nights total, my wife agreed instead of doing just 1 night in park since we have the time.

This would be at the end of march.

According to weather channel 81-83 High, 56-57 Low average on the 3 day 2 night Hike. This is based on the Lajita Golf Resort. It's actually better than a few days prior when the forecast is like 5 degrees higher. Would the mesa be a couple of degrees cooler since it slightly higher and not right by river?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!