Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

I知 looking for a route to hike

• 8 Replies

Offline Gray

• Kangaroo Rat
I知 looking for a route to hike
« on: January 01, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
3 of us are going to be going backpacking and we are looking for a good route to take. We would be arriving January 18 at around 4-5pm and we want to leave January 21st at midday. So that would be 2 full days 3 nights and 2 half days. As for experience level, 2 of us are experienced and the other is new (we are going to make sure he has the proper equipment). So what routes would you all reccomend taking.

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: I知 looking for a route to hike
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
Is this your first time in the park?  If so then the Outer Mountain Loop is the best choice.  Get there before the visitor center closes at 5 so you can get your permit.  You won't get much or any hiking done that first day but you can get an early start the next.

Welcome to BBC!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Gray

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:07:10 PM »
Is this your first time in the park?  If so then the Outer Mountain Loop is the best choice.  Get there before the visitor center closes at 5 so you can get your permit.  You won't get much or any hiking done that first day but you can get an early start the next.

Welcome to BBC!

Thank you for the response and welcome! Yes this will be our first time in Big Bend. I壇 assume you池e talking about entering from the visitor center by the Chisos Basin. So would the route would be to walk down to Dotson trail, take that to Jupiter trail then back up to the visitor center? If so do you know how many miles that would be and if we would have time to walk down to the South Rim?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline twystoflemon

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:32:24 PM »
Check out this FAQ on the OML:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/big-bend-national-park-outer-mountain-loop/the-outer-mountain-loop-faq-and-planning-tips/

I used the FAQ to plan a successful solo OML a few years back. FWIW, the route does require moderate-plus fitness and is about 30-ish miles with some respectable elevation depending on which route variation you choose. It's definitely worth it to push your schedule and deal with permits on the driving day if possible. Good luck!!!

[edit: and you could reserve a campsite in the Chisos Basin campground your first evening - it's beautiful - try for loop 3 - it's quieter)

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 06:29:02 AM »
Gray,
study the OML FAQ thoroughly.  With your basically 2 night backcountry schedule and with a rookie hiker I would consider a modified loop starting at Homer Wilson and going counter clockwise.  First day across the Dodson (water at Fresno), second day up Juniper (get water in Boot canyon) and stay the night on the rim.  Last day down Blue Creek to the car and out.  What are you driving?   If high clearance you could start at Juniper canyon/Dodson trail head and Go up Juniper to the Rim, second day down Blue Creek (pick up your water at Homer Wilson box) and on down the Dodson a bit, last day out to truck.  Either way you are looking at 27 miles vs. the 32 of the NPS itinerary and you get the South Rim, way better than the Basin.

The first night you get in you can camp in the Basin and drive to Homer Wilson or one of the backcountry road sites like Croton Springs, Paint Gap or Grapevine Hills.  If starting at Juniper I would camp at Twisted Shoe for a really early start.
no shade, no water

Offline Gray

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
Gray,
study the OML FAQ thoroughly.  With your basically 2 night backcountry schedule and with a rookie hiker I would consider a modified loop starting at Homer Wilson and going counter clockwise.  First day across the Dodson (water at Fresno), second day up Juniper (get water in Boot canyon) and stay the night on the rim.  Last day down Blue Creek to the car and out.  What are you driving?   If high clearance you could start at Juniper canyon/Dodson trail head and Go up Juniper to the Rim, second day down Blue Creek (pick up your water at Homer Wilson box) and on down the Dodson a bit, last day out to truck.  Either way you are looking at 27 miles vs. the 32 of the NPS itinerary and you get the South Rim, way better than the Basin.

The first night you get in you can camp in the Basin and drive to Homer Wilson or one of the backcountry road sites like Croton Springs, Paint Gap or Grapevine Hills.  If starting at Juniper I would camp at Twisted Shoe for a really early start.

I致e definitely been studying the FAQ and the maps. This route actually sounds very nice. I had worries about not getting to the rim and this sounds like a great solution. I知 not sure what we池e driving yet we had 2 more people that wanted to tag along (1 experienced one not), so I think I may rent a car for the trip because mine is leased and small and it痴 a bit of a haul from Houston. What do you think about driving in to get our permits at the visitor center and while that痴 happening someone caches water at juniper. Then we drive down to Homer and hike a tiny bit that night to find a place to set up camp, and then  we follow your route from there (it also turns out that we can get there earlier that day). But thank you so much for this route suggestion! We will definitely be using it!

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
You could definitely do that but you will need high clearance to get to Juniper and it is a 2 hour round trip from Panther Junction.  As to hiking in a ways from Homer Wilson you will want to stop before the first big climb so you will only get about a mile but there are some campsites along there.  If you go up the big climb then it is like 3 miles to a campsite.  Sunset is around 6:20 and it will be light enough to see almost until 7:00.  I assume you do have water filter/purification for Fresno and Boot Canyon.
no shade, no water

Offline Gray

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »
You could definitely do that but you will need high clearance to get to Juniper and it is a 2 hour round trip from Panther Junction.  As to hiking in a ways from Homer Wilson you will want to stop before the first big climb so you will only get about a mile but there are some campsites along there.  If you go up the big climb then it is like 3 miles to a campsite.  Sunset is around 6:20 and it will be light enough to see almost until 7:00.  I assume you do have water filter/purification for Fresno and Boot Canyon.
Wow is it really that far from Panther Junction? It doesn稚 seem that far on the map.

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
It's a very slow, rough road and a 35 mile round trip from Panther Junction.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:57:54 PM by mule ears »
no shade, no water

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!