Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Juniper Canyon Rd in 2WD

• 5 Replies

Offline joeypenney

• Kangaroo Rat
Juniper Canyon Rd in 2WD
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
I'll be coming in from Louisiana for a few night stay in Big Bend on Thursday, 11/15. I'm looking to stay at either Robber's Roost or Twisted Shoe. I'll be driving in a 2WD Toyota Tacoma. Will this road require a 4WD, or will my vehicle be adequate to access these sites?

Thanks!

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Juniper Canyon Rd in 2WD
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
Driven the road six times in a 2WD Tacoma. No 4WD necessary. Just drive slowly to dodge the larger rocks. Can take about 1-1/2 hours from pavement.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:54:10 PM »
I've done it in my wife's Equinox.  I prefer to do it in my 2wd F150.

G.O. S.L.O.W.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
I was on Juniper Canyon road just last Wednesday, wanted to visit the trailhead for old time sake. I drive a Wrangler so traction was not a problem. You don't want to spin a rear drive wheel against a sharp rock, especially on the sidewall of your tire. I turned back because it was rockier than I remembered and my tires (original equipment) have about 50,000 miles on them. I simply didn't trust them. With a new set of BFGoodrich All-Terrains I would have stormed it!

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
Drove out there in a Subaru Outback last year. All the way to Twisted Shoe. Passenger tires. Not very smart given the sharp rocks. No issues with clearance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline joeypenney

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
Thanks for the information everyone!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!