Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Looking for one night in and out trail recommendations

• 26 Replies

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Looking for one night in and out trail recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »
hey thank you fellow coon ass!  good to meet you on here.  And thank you for the link!  I can print this out to scale and large format at the office.

This really is one of the best communities on the internet.  Thank you everyone on here

Just stopped by to say "thumbs-up" on the Blue Dog.  Used to have one hanging in my living room.  As far as maps, you can print your own custom ones using CalTopo. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=29.16227,-103.39738&z=14&b=t

Good luck! Hope you have a great trip.

:great:  I'm an Okie-Texan, but honorary coon ass by marriage.  Fortunately, that still gets me in the door. :icon_wink:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »
Black Rock Canyon is on the trail north of the Mules Ears trail, about two miles from the trail junction. It's been years since I was there, so I may be off as to the mileage. I've done it twice as a very long day hike, it's worthy destination. I think it's better than Slick rock canyon or Banta Shut in.

Offline puzzlejug

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
Haven't used it for awhile but the front desk at the lodge can/used to set up a shuttle for you. I last used it a couple of years ago and it cost $50 at that time. If you're interested you could call them and set it up.

So i just called and asked about this and the ranger said they didn't know anything, but pointed me towards some of the outfitters in terlingua.  Anyone else have any experience with it?

My ideal plan right now is mule ears to smokey creek to dodson and come out at homer wilson.  i'd love a ride back to my vehicle at the mule ears trail head

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
Haven't used it for awhile but the front desk at the lodge can/used to set up a shuttle for you. I last used it a couple of years ago and it cost $50 at that time. If you're interested you could call them and set it up.

So i just called and asked about this and the ranger said they didn't know anything, but pointed me towards some of the outfitters in terlingua.  Anyone else have any experience with it?

My ideal plan right now is mule ears to smokey creek to dodson and come out at homer wilson.  i'd love a ride back to my vehicle at the mule ears trail head

Don't call the rangers, call the front desk (not the reservation line) at the Chisos Mountain Lodge as suggested. Don't know if they still arrange shuttles , but they might.               

http://www.chisosmountainslodge.com/

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »
Unless you are emerging at dusk, I would hitch-hike.  There are lots of folks stopping at Homer Wilson.  Act friendly, especially around those with pick up trucks, stand downwind (unless you plan on taking deodorant), and ask for a ride.  When you start to get desperate, wave a $10 bill from your hand for their effort.  It's not that far for them.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline puzzlejug

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
Unless you are emerging at dusk, I would hitch-hike.  There are lots of folks stopping at Homer Wilson.  Act friendly, especially around those with pick up trucks, stand downwind (unless you plan on taking deodorant), and ask for a ride.  When you start to get desperate, wave a $10 bill from your hand for their effort.  It's not that far for them.

I've had no luck with the shuttles except from far flung ($150!)

looks like it's going to be hitch hiking.  Do you think it would be better to start or end at homer wilson?  I think i'd like to leave my vehicle at homer wilson, and ask someone to drive me to mule ears to start

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »

I've had no luck with the shuttles except from far flung ($150!)

looks like it's going to be hitch hiking.  Do you think it would be better to start or end at homer wilson?  I think i'd like to leave my vehicle at homer wilson, and ask someone to drive me to mule ears to start

Yes, that should work. Homer Wilson is right smack on the shoulder of the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. It gets a lot of traffic. Everyone driving there or past it will see you. And lots drive past on their way to points south (Mule Ears, Chimneys, Tuff Canyon, Castolon, Santa Elena). And to make it even easier, you could ask folks to simply drop you off at the exit to the Mule Ears trailhead and then you could walk the last several dozen yards. Mule Ears trailhead is set back a ways, not visible from the RMSD. Might be a bit harder to grab a ride from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
...stand downwind (unless you plan on taking deodorant), and ask for a ride.

Hahahaha! Itís the little things that separate success from failure.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 03:50:06 PM »
Do you think it would be better to start or end at homer wilson?  I think i'd like to leave my vehicle at homer wilson, and ask someone to drive me to mule ears to start

Yes, this is an even better plan.  Takes away the lingering uncertainty during the trip about whether you'll get a ride.  Also, there will be more cars travelling south in the morning.  Far fewer heading south in the late afternoon.  I think you are supposed to leave a copy of your permit in the window dash.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »

Takes away the lingering uncertainty during the trip about whether you'll get a ride.  Also, there will be more cars travelling south in the morning.

Those are both VERY good points.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
The Lodge's front desk's phone number is not really advertised well. Its 432-477-2292.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 08:52:07 AM »
If you start a Mule Ears, you will be going uphill all the way, just saying. I did it starting at Blue Creek (Homer Wilson), downhill all the way! Easily hitched a ride from Mule Ears TH back to Blue Creek, took me three days but I'm old. There should be good water along Smoky Creek. If you use a handheld GPS, there are plenty of loadable tracks available for most if not all the trails in Big Bend that will supplement your sketchy maps.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!