Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Offroading & Day Hikes

• 9 Replies

Offline Treadstone614

• Kangaroo Rat
Offroading & Day Hikes
« on: October 24, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I will be in Big Bend the week before Christmas. Was planning on doing a 4-5 day backpacking trip, but will now be accompanied by my little brother and another friend who aren't quite as interested in a grueling 5 day trek. Looking for suggestions for a 4-5 day itinerary of great offloading and day hikes. I know 4/5 days isn't much but that is all we will have in Big Bend for that part of our roadtrip.

Also, what are the crowds like around Christmas time?

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Offroading & Day Hikes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
Before Christmas might not be too bad.  The week between Christmas and New Years seems to be the busiest, but even when I've gone during that period, I've never had a problem getting a place to camp.

I'm certain others will chime in, but 4-5 days is ample time to get a good sampling of the park.  Day hikes from the Basin would include Lost Mine Trail (assuming it's reopened by the), South Rim, Windows, Emory Peak, to name a few.  You could fill a couple of days with hikes along the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive - Cattail Falls, Oak Springs Trail, Ward Springs, Burro Mesa Pour-off, Homer Wilson Ranch, Mule Ears, Chimneys....Take a look at the park map and begin planning a route.  You can't go wrong anywhere you choose.

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »
BBRSP has lots of back roads you can drive with most accessing remote areas with beautiful waterfalls and things.   

Sent from flat land

Offline mr&mrstigerwrangler

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
Waterfalls, where

Sent from my LGMS500 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline traveljunkie523

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 09:36:50 PM »

Waterfalls, where

Check out Cattail Falls but it isn't always running.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline RockDoc

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:54:06 PM »
There are so many places to see. It depends on your physical condition and hiking experience. Some hikes are long and demanding and others are shorter. I would break it up and alternate days doing some of each. I'll list a few ideas of places I have been and there are many I have not done yet. No particular order.

South Rim and Emory peak. Long day hike but great views
Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive has a great selection of shorter hikes including Cattail falls and Santa Elena Canyon.
Lost Mine Trail a good basic hike
Pine Canyon another good option
Drive River Road if you have high clearance vehicle to see Mariscol Mine and Mariscol Rim Trail.
Read and plan ahead 
I've been going for years and only just started to see the park.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
Breaking the Rim hike into a two day/one night overnighter is really nice.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
BBRSP has lots of back roads you can drive with most accessing remote areas with beautiful waterfalls and things.   

Sent from flat land
I guess I should say seeps and weeps. There are several in the state park, mostly along canyons and not what most would consider a waterfall. But with water levels up, I bet most are flowing pretty well. One is Rancherias Canyon trail. Most of the falls have indian signs and camps in the area. There's alot more to the state park than people think.

Sent from flat land

Offline mr&mrstigerwrangler

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:47 PM »
Where is the coattails falls? Can't find on maps or book?

Sent from my LGMS500 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »
Where is the coattails falls? Can't find on maps or book?

I think it's Cattail Falls that was recommended.

There is a dirt road across the main park road about a hundred yards or so from the Sam Nail Ranch parking area.  If you have semi-high clearance, you can make the road fine.  There's a parking area at the end of the dirt road, and Cattail Falls is a 2-something mile hike from there.  Well worth the time and effort!

You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!