Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Old Ore Rd possible in an AWD sedan?

• 5 Replies

Offline RockyMtnHigh

• Kangaroo Rat
Old Ore Rd possible in an AWD sedan?
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
Hi All.  I'm a long-time Colorado/Utah backpacker.  I visited Big Bend for the first time a few weeks ago and did the OML, and I am hooked!

I'm looking for a route for a Feb backpack trip, and am thinking about Telephone Canyon (3 days from the TC trailhead to the eastern boundary of the park and then back).  My problem is I own an AWD sedan without high clearance (not a Subaru).  I'm no stranger to rough dirt roads in my car, but I also understand its limitations.  Can anyone comment on whether a sedan can make it on Old Ore Rd from Dagger Flat Rd to Telephone Canyon?

Thx!

Offline LinuxGeek28

• Kangaroo Rat
  • Cabin in Terlingua Ranch since 2011
Re: Old Ore Rd possible in an AWD sedan?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »
I completed the route from North (Dagger Flats) to South in my Forester, but there were tricky parts and some of the steep hills were a challenge.  In a sedan, you would want to go from S to N to get to Telephone Canyon (Old Ore Road is better on the south end).  It's probably 50/50 depending on whether you run into any washouts.  The most overlooked factor is your tires.  If you don't have a decent set of all terrain tires, you are more at risk of getting a flat than you are getting stuck. 

If you have good tires, I wouldn't be afraid to give it a try. You can always turn back.  You might even be able to add a day and start farther south where the road is better.

Offline Floundered

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:38:26 PM »
I've camped up there and Roy's Peak Vista a few times. I drive a 2WD 2004 Tahoe. There are some rough patches that I just can't imagine a sedan clearing. From the south you're good until you get a little way up the mountain, but there are 2 spots in particular that are rocky and rutted out before you reach TC. From the North, yeah I would say definite no-go. Very rocky and too much I would think. Either way good luck!

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »
I would not attempt old ore road from the north in a sedan. There is a spot you could get stuck. I don't know the condition of the telephone canyon road. That is the only road I have not been on in the entire park.

The roads are not dirt roads, but Rocky and can eat up lighter weight tires.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline RockyMtnHigh

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone -- seems like I should come up with an alternate vehicle or plan!

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:41:41 AM »
I don't know if the road has gotten worse, but in the past I've traversed it in a Dodge Caravan.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!