Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Online Backcountry permitting now available for BBNP

• 107 Replies

Offline firefly1

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Online Backcountry permitting now available for BBNP
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »
Is this system accurate for past reservations in the park? I looked recently at a random weekday in January last year and it shows the park nearly completely full.  Seeing this made me postpone my trip as I didn't want to drive 14 hours to be in the park when it's that full just hoping to get a camp spot. 

Online mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2018, 03:24:38 PM »
You must have looked at it back in December because it is not longer available.  But yes if it showed things as full it was accurate.  What were you looking at?  The most likely to be full would be the roadside campsites, snow birds.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline firefly1

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »
Well crud. So when is the best time to go when you're more likely to be able to get a roadside camp spot?  I really thought if I went in January or February I would have an easy time getting a primitive spot.   

OH and yes I was looking in December.  So I guess there's no way now to see which spots are being reserved? 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!