Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Paint Gap 2 PG-2 log boundaries

• 3 Replies

Offline fast_frank_d

• Kangaroo Rat
Paint Gap 2 PG-2 log boundaries
« on: February 11, 2020, 09:32:23 AM »
Hi All,

Maybe a long-shot, but hoping some folks know this particular campsite.  I have PG2 reserved next month with a longer trailer and planning not to get stuck.   I see logs perched on smaller log pedestals marking boundary.  Could a camper trailer frame overhang the log boundary toward PG3 for maneuvering purposes, or are they stacked too high?  Are these staked to the ground or are they temporarily moveable and replaceable for getting out of a jam?

Thanks in advance
Frank

Offline fast_frank_d

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Paint Gap 2 PG-2 log boundaries
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
Maybe if people aren't familiar with this specific campsite, someone can tell me if the perched logs are typically staked through to the ground, or are generally moveable?

Frank

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:45 AM »
Generally the logs are all staked down but I haven't been to that site, others here have for sure.  Is your rig longer than 25 feet?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline fast_frank_d

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will assume they cannot move.  Depends how I set up the rig.  BB is part of a multi-week trip, might have stuff on the trailer bumper.  I can drop the trailer and reposition the truck if required, I just like to do as much "presearch" as possible for my cross country trips.

Thanks again!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!