Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Planning a Trip and Looking for Advice

• 11 Replies

Offline Arroyo15

• Kangaroo Rat
Planning a Trip and Looking for Advice
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
All:
I am planning a trip the BB probably in November maybe sooner. I am here looking for some advice on a great primitive roadside campsite. The one thing I have noticed on this forum is that the more information given the more useful the response. So I hope all the info will help.

Vehicle
2014 Suburban LTZ 4x4 with 80psi All Terian tires

Camping
My plan is to camp in one location, and use it as a base camp. I will more than likely not do any real hiking (nothing more than a +/- 2mile round trip) on this trip. My goal for this trip is to take some great photos (Landscape, Plant Portraits, and etc.) and to relax.
As for the possible camping set up for this trip, I was planning on a large dome tent, EZ-Up shelter, Camp chairs, Propane Fire Ring, and etc.
My thoughts were to use this set up as a base, leaving the camp set up and daily explore BB.

Campsite
Secluded campsite (or set back from the road due to the fact that I would like to leave the site set up and go off exploring) 
Located in a way that I can "easily" access the park roads, and most sites are within +/- 1-hour drive

Possible Areas of Interest
See map attached

Suggested Campsites
*Please do not let the following list constrain your responses. I am open to any suggestions you are willing to provide.
Candelilla
Ernst Tinaja
Rice Tank
Robber's Rust
Twisted Shoe
Gravel Pit
Paint Gap #4

I want to thank all of you in advance, and let you know that any response is truly appreciated. Your knowledge and experience are worth more than you know.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:13:55 PM by RichardM »

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Planning a Trip and Looking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
The only site you mentioned that doesn't meet  your criteria is Ernst Tinaja, that one is right at the trailhead to Ernst Tinaja, it'll have traffic most of the day. Camp de leon is just down the road from there and set off the OOR. Pine Canyon 4 is also worth considering.

Offline mr.bean5150

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
Great views from twisted shoe.....
"Do or Do Not, There Is No Try"
                                  "Yoda"

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
I can only tell you about Rice Tank.  It's kind of low so it has some protection.  It's off the road enough to leave your camp no worries.  There's enough room for your camp stuff.  The road is washboarded but not impassable.  It's long and rough enough to make you really feel you are out there.  The views are really good.  There's a small hill behind that may offer a good vantage point.  I would imagine you could hike right out of that camp to some interesting stuff.  Maybe someone on here could recommend a direction to go.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »
My amigos and I got "stuck" with Gravel Pit (nice name) a couple of weekends ago.  It was the last one available.  We really enjoyed it.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
The only downsides to Twisted Shoe and Robber Roost is that it's a pretty long haul on sometimes rough roads to get out to pavement.  Otherwise they are pretty great scenic sites.

Candelilla, and La Noria #1 and #2 are a little more secluded, back from the main road quite a bit. They probably aren't as scenic as TS and RR.  I was surprised to see 3 bars of signal on my cell phone at La Noria 2 when I rode my bicycle back there in December, but I'm not sure if that is a plus or a minus.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »
Rice tank is a good one and should be highly considered, I prefer Glenn spring 2, but it's right on the road, never had and problems leaving camp set up at Glenn Spring 2 for several days and you may only see 1 or 2 vehicle's a day during the time you are there

Sent from my Pixel XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Arroyo15

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
All:
Thanks for all the information, I look forward to reading more as they come in.
One of my major concerns was leaving my gear and camp site set up as I go off exploring each day. Since no one appears to take issue with this idea I feel much better. Now it is time to research all the campsite option everyone is providing. The interesting thing I have found during my research into Campsites is that there is a lot of information and advice about the following:
Rice Tank
Robber's Rust
Twisted Shoe
Paint Gap #4

but very little about the following:
Candelilla
La Noria #1 and #2
Gravel Pit

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:04:35 PM by RichardM »

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
Another thing I forgot to mention is that it only takes about 12 to 15 minutes to get to rice tank from pavement, about 25 to 30 minutes to Glenn spring 2, not sure of drive times to the other sites

Sent from my Pixel XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline andrwtzel

• Roadrunner
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
I can speak to Candelilla...

It's not the most scenic site. And come to think of it, I can't remember any particular view at all.  You've got a level site, with a downhill depression behind it, and then it rises back up. Perhaps if you walk up that hill you will have a view?

With that said, it's a great site to get off the pavement without getting too far up Old Ore road. There won't be much traffic. Perhaps a couple cars going/coming from Ernst Tinaja.

Offline strawhouse

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
My recollection of Candelilla is that you can hear the vehicles on the paved road.  It's not the end of the world but a quieter site I think is preferred.  It is easy to access though.

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 02:35:54 PM »
We enjoyed Rattle Snake Mountain for a night's recovery on our last trip (feb 26 - mar 5). It is on the west side of the park but not far down the Old Maverick Road and pavement is not far away, near the west entrance to the park. I think it would make an excellent base camp, with showers and Rio Bravo's Carne con Chile Colorado not far away. It's a nice drive south from this site on the Old Maverick Road down to Santa Elena and the south end of the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive.

Here's a view to be had along the Old Maverick Road:
Tule Mountain beyond Alamo Creek as seen from the Old Maverick Road, Big Bend NP 2 Mar 17 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

Here it is on a map:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=29.24106,-103.42844&z=12&t=T&marker0=29.25432%2C-103.53220%2Cunnamed

Perhaps split time with one camp on the east side of the park and one on the west side?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:01:20 PM by Homer67 »
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!