Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Primitive Campsites

• 28 Replies

Offline tnuge92

• Kangaroo Rat
Primitive Campsites
« on: December 20, 2016, 09:40:10 PM »
Hello, I am heading to Big Bend for Christmas weekend. Looking for a nice primitive campsite accessible by standard car. I've camped at Grapevine twice. I liked it, but would like to try something different. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: Primitive Campsites
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
some of the Pine Canyon sites?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:03:17 PM »
or K-bar or Nugent Mountain or Croton Springs or Hannold Draw...

Offline tnuge92

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »
Cool. I noticed some others discussing same question. Think I'll try the Pine Canyon sites. Thank you.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:49:23 AM »
I've always enjoyed the Pine Canyon sites.
Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline tnuge92

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:55:12 AM »
Thanks all!!

Offline tnuge92

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:59:38 AM »
Another unrelated question, a few friends that have visited Big Bend several times strongly suggested bringing a firearm for protection. Last time I visited, I brought one, but it seemed pointless because it was always stored away in the car. The only exception being that I had it in the tent overnight. Do you think this is necessary?

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »
If you camp at a Pine Canyon site, treat yourself to the Pine Canyon Trail.  It is four miles total (2 in and 2 back out).  Many think of it as the most interesting trail into the (semi) High Chisos.  The trail takes you up through several "bio-zones" as increasing elevation changes plant life.

Regarding a firearm, that is another eternal debate.  Opinions on here about taking firearms for personal protection in the wilds echo the opinions about firearms for personal protection in society in general. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:23:00 AM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline jasonmerlo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 08:37:44 AM »
Just walked Pine Canyon Trail for the first time a couple weeks ago. It is beautiful. The walk in is uphill all the way and It gets steep at the end.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
Pine Canyon #1 has the dubious fame of being one of the places a murder occurred.

If you are legally carrying and know how to use it, then we are all safer.

I never hike with mine, but it's always beside me with it's pretty glowing green dots for me to see when I open my eyes up at night inside my tent.

The Big Bend area is getting more popular with the illegals.  http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/11/28/cartels-flood-remote-border-sector-migrants-overwhelm-u-s-agents/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:06:25 AM by elhombre »
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
Actually the murder occurred at the PC 2 site which back then was PC 1 & 2, PC1 was moved to it's present position just east of the PC2.  PC1 has a great view of Nugent Mt, Pine Canyon, Crown, and the Sierra Del Carmens, it's one of my favs!
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline tnuge92

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
Thanks all. I appreciate the suggestion of Pine Canyon Trail and will definitely hike it. Also, the thoughts on carrying a firearm. Somehow, the remoteness makes me inclined to carry one, although common sense tells me it's probably 1000 times safer than my neighborhood, in which I travel frequently with no firearm.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 10:04:53 AM »
I'm with ElHombre - mine helps me sleep at night

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »
Carrying while backpacking, no, to the extra weight.
Car camping...absolutel y yes.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:32 AM »
Here we go...

I'll share a recent firearm-in-the-wilds anecdote.

Full disclosure: I almost always carry concealed; I do not support open carry. 

At T-giving, my wife and I took our best and oldest friends to the Bend (we had a great time).  They are both suburban social progressives; she more so than he.  She is not anti-gun, but is generally suspicious/derisive of self defense with firearms, until...

At various times on the trip (walking into a sketchy late-night diner, star gazing at a very lonely place in the park late at night, far along a back-country trail) she asked my wife, "Is dprather carrying?"  Being informed by my wife that I was, she replied, "Good." 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!