Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Primitive Roadside campgrounds? - looking for advice

• 13 Replies

Offline puzzlejug

• Jack Rabbit
Primitive Roadside campgrounds? - looking for advice
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »
Hi there.  I'm looking for recommendations for one of the better primitive roadside camps in the park.  I'm planning on doing some backpacking Wednesday-Friday, and on my last night, i'd like to change venues and do one of these primitive car campsites, so I can be close to my cooler, and get on the road early the next morning.

anyone have any suggestions?  Ideally, I'd like a spot as secluded as possible.  I don't have a 4x4 vehicle, but I drive a 2WD ford escape, so I can get through most stuff.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Primitive Roadside campgrounds? - looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »
"Secluded" and "on the road early" might be mutually exclusive terms - at least they would be for me.  Terlingua Abajo might meet both those requirements.

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »
K-Bar, Terlingua Abaja, any of the sites on Old Ore Road, any of the sites in the Sierra Quemada (Juniper, Pine, Talley, Dominguez).

Every place in Big Bend is magical!

If the roads are dry you should have no problem with the backroads with a 2-wheel drive (except Black Gap).

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
If you are heading out toward Marathon, Stillwell is a nice alternative.  Showers, ground fires allowed, lots of campsites that are well spread out with very few campers and it will give you a significant head start on getting home.

Offline puzzlejug

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:12:59 AM »

"Secluded" and "on the road early" might be mutually exclusive terms - at least they would be for me.  Terlingua Abajo might meet both those requirements.
by "on the road early" I mean just not having to hike back in the morning really.  I don't mind a drive

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:49:49 AM »
I liked Rice Tank.  You camp right next to the tank wall and pieces of an old pen.  4 or 5 miles off the paved road. Wind is pretty blocked in there.  Nice place to have a beverage in the evening and watch the sun set over the Chisos and then watch it light them up the next morning.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:00:36 AM by Hang10er »

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 07:02:24 AM »
I don't have a 4x4 vehicle, but I drive a 2WD ford escape, so I can get through most stuff.

What year is the Escape?
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline puzzlejug

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 07:07:44 AM »

[/quote]

What year is the Escape?
[/quote]

2011, why?

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »

What year is the Escape?

2011, why?

Because my daughter has a 2013 and there is no way that vehicle should go off road in Big Bend.  The 2011 is the older body style...should be better. Still, check your clearance.....

Add these....
Paint Gap 1 ( not so secluded), but good road as long as you don't go to to PG 3 and PG 4. The road is real rough through the gap
Nugent Mtn - Close to the black top.
Grapevine Hills - Multiple campsites so you may not be alone
Croton Springs -Multiple campsites so you may not be alone
Candellia - Road is a bit rough

Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline puzzlejug

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »

What year is the Escape?

2011, why?

Because my daughter has a 2013 and there is no way that vehicle should go off road in Big Bend.  The 2011 is the older body style...should be better. Still, check your clearance.....

yeah those new escapes are like mini vans.  and they do have a lower ground clearance.  mine feels somewhat rugged.  at least I can jump curbs and stuff with no problems.  Thanks for the advice on the other camps too.  you guys are awesome

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
It's a bit of a drive, but I like Fresno.  You have Mariscal Mines staring you in the face, just to the west.  Elephant Tusk and Chisos Mts to the north.  Sierra del Carmen to the east.  There's a whole lot of wide open out there.

Offline SergeantFunk

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
2nd the Ore Rd...Telephone Canyon site is my fave.  Great backdrop and palette of colors late/early.  Day hike up into Telephone canyon (as far as you feel like), cool spots to investigate in the desert all over.  And the 'praying hands' cut in the side of Alto Relex is just south.

Can easily hit Dagger Flat on the way in or out to boot.
"Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter." -Yoda

Offline Allan

• Kangaroo Rat
  • Hi
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »
Hey guys I had a couple of question as well. Hope you don't mind. Im going next week with a group of 5 and we are looking to go primitive car camping but we really don't know which location would be good. The only two criteria would be that its secluded, not entirely in the middle of nowhere but also to the point that we could be alone with minimal contact with other people. The second would just be a spot where star gazing would be awesome and viewable.  which would you guys chose for those criteria????????? thanks for your time to read this and answering!! (the bottom is the list of campsites available)

Primitive Roadside Campsites— Croton Springs
Primitive Roadside Campsites— Grapevine Hills
Primitive Roadside Campsite— Hannold Draw
Primitive Roadside Campsites— K-Bar
Primitive Roadside Campsite— Nine Point Draw
Primitive Roadside Campsites— Old Maverick Road
Primitive Roadside Campsites— Paint Gap

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »
Hey guys I had a couple of question as well. Hope you don't mind. Im going next week with a group of 5 and we are looking to go primitive car camping but we really don't know which location would be good. The only two criteria would be that its secluded, not entirely in the middle of nowhere but also to the point that we could be alone with minimal contact with other people. The second would just be a spot where star gazing would be awesome and viewable.  which would you guys chose for those criteria????????? thanks for your time to read this and answering!! (the bottom is the list of campsites available)

Primitive Roadside Campsites— Croton Springs
Primitive Roadside Campsites— Grapevine Hills
Primitive Roadside Campsite— Hannold Draw
Primitive Roadside Campsites— K-Bar
Primitive Roadside Campsite— Nine Point Draw
Primitive Roadside Campsites— Old Maverick Road
Primitive Roadside Campsites— Paint Gap
Sorry you didn't get any responses to this before now. If you haven't left yet, here's my opinion (which probably isn't worth much as I haven't camped at any primitive roadsites).

Croton Springs is relatively close to the road and has two sites, so your chances of having a neighbor 50 feet away is high. Also, lots of day-hikers use this as a parking lot.
Grapevine Hills has lots of car traffic to the popular trail to the balanced rock. The last two sites seem fairly remote, as they're at the end of the road.
Hannold Draw is close to a main road.
K-Bar is a mile or so off the main road. Two sites (I think), but not right on top of each other like Croton Springs.
Nine Point Draw is right off the road.
Old Maverick Road, not sure which site(s) you are referring to here. Rattlesnake Mountain is a favorite of some who like to be close to Terlingua.
Paint Gap has some secluded sites the farther up you go. 4WD/high clearance required for #4 at least.

None of these sites are the best for star-gazing, as they are either close to roads or close to Terlingua. Of course, depending on what you are used to, it could still be darker skies than you've ever seen before.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!