Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Recreation.gov rollout delayed until 7 Feb

• 29 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Recreation.gov rollout delayed until 7 Feb
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »
My understanding is you print out your permit (maybe the third email you talked about) and you can go straight to your site unless you need to get other sites or zones.

If I find out anything new, I'll share here. I hope you'e right.

This is what the park told me.  "Once the permit is "printed," from Recreation.gov it will be finalized in the system"
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline tstorm5

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 03:06:52 PM »
When I go to the page on Recreation.gov that has the box labeled "print permit" it is not active. I cannot select it. Hopefully it becomes active soon. everything else looks normal and my credit card has been charged accordingly.
There are some places so beautiful they can make a grown man break down and weep.

Offline Goatlegs

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 09:40:19 AM »
The system worked, I guess, sort of.  At least it seems to have worked the way it was meant to operate - which doesn't mean it worked the way it should (in my opinion).  I was surprised to see that every single Saturday at Twisted Shoe and Robbers Roost was already reserved.  I was on that site within 3 seconds, so it wasn't reserved by somebody before me; looks like they held back all Saturday reservations for walkups at those roadside sites.  I wish they'd mentioned that ahead of time, I could have planned better. I ran into a couple other minor annoyances (like missing the # of people field way up at the top before you can see the availability screen).

Frankly, the system is not very useful for out towners like many of us.  Sure, I can get a reservation for some backcountry sites ahead of time... but not the zone permits or roadside sites; I still have to show up in person for those.  So, now I have a trip planned and know that I have some - but not all - of the permits I need.  I don't think that's any better than having none at all, really.

Unfortunately, I've injured my knee so this trip will proceed without me.  Maybe next time.

Goat 

Goatlegs

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 01:51:35 PM »
Goatlegs sorry to hear about the knee.

When I just checked there were random days open at Twisted Shoe and Robbers Roost until after spring break and then many more days open.  I don't think they are holding anything, just people reserving maybe long stretches.  I think this system will be a problem for sometime until people settle down and not freak out about it.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 03:33:07 PM »
Not trying to start a stampede or anything, but there are sites available during spring break.  :eusa_shhh:

Offline rw6jyeh6

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 12:13:04 PM »
When I go to the page on Recreation.gov that has the box labeled "print permit" it is not active. I cannot select it. Hopefully it becomes active soon. everything else looks normal and my credit card has been charged accordingly.

Same here.  I made reservations on February 7th.  My credit card was charged, on that day.  I have viewable/printable receipts on recreation.gov.  But "print permit" is not clickable.  Hopefully, that will be addressed soon.

Offline tstorm5

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 01:23:01 PM »
Same here. 

Phew!!! Thought I was alone.
There are some places so beautiful they can make a grown man break down and weep.

Offline rw6jyeh6

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 02:09:11 PM »

Just chatted with Brittany, online, at recreation.gov.  She told me:

"You will be able to print this permit within 14 days of the arrival date. You will need to wait until you are within that window to try to print your permits."

(I'm still 5 ways out from my trip).

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 02:16:20 PM »

"You will be able to print this permit within 14 days of the arrival date. You will need to wait until you are within that window to try to print your permits."

Huh. The "Print Permit" button is magically active and working this afternoon, but was not when I checked it this morning. Could be your phone call prompted a quick fix to the issue?

Thanks,
Flash

Offline tstorm5

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »

Huh. The "Print Permit" button is magically active and working this afternoon, but was not when I checked it this morning. Could be your phone call prompted a quick fix to the issue?

Thanks,
Flash

And my "Print button" has magically begun working as well. Thank you "rw6jyeh6" for your distinguished service in resolving this camping crisis. Seriously, nice work by you and Brittany.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 02:57:51 PM »

Thanks,
Flash

And my "Print button" has magically begun working as well. Thank you "rw6jyeh6" for your distinguished service in resolving this camping crisis. Seriously, nice work by you and Brittany.

+1 everyone!  Thanks for gettin' it done. 
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline rw6jyeh6

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 03:00:56 PM »
I assume that for you guys, for whom the button has started working, that you are under the 14 day mark?  Because it has remained greyed out, for me.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:52 PM »
I assume that for you guys, for whom the button has started working, that you are under the 14 day mark?  Because it has remained greyed out, for me.
Aye

Offline tstorm5

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »

I am under the 3 day mark and it did not work yesterday. Since your post, I have a working button and have printed out my permit. So, I was at 10 days when the new system went into effect.

Offline rw6jyeh6

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »
OK.  Glad things are working for you guys.  Enjoy your trips!  I'll trust what Brittany has told me, and will return to recreation.gov in a few weeks.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!