Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Safety question

• 19 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Safety question
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »
There is no "near BB experience" I'm aware of.

Sure there is. It's the experience you have as you sail through Alpine on US90 and fail to turn south.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
There is no "near BB experience" I'm aware of.

Sure there is. It's the experience you have as you sail through Alpine on US90 and fail to turn south.

That might then be Fort Davis. Not a bad spot to end up in itself!

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
Been going in there since 1975. Last trip a month ago. Countless in between. You and your friends have more danger driving on the highway to get there.

Go have an incredible time
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline kdhorn1

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
all of you guys are awesome to provide positive and very informed information.
It is greatly appreciated and I hope some day that our paths will cross at Big Bend!
I am all in!
Thanks again to a wonderful group of people that love the outdoors!

Offline clruth

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »
The Bend is a fairly safe place as far as cross-border crime is considered. There is a robust Border Patrol presence, as well as regular patrols by NPS enforcement rangers. There are also frequent overflights by NPS, and by at least one former ranger as well.  If you're still worried, then avoid the areas adjacent to the river and you shouldn't have a thing to worry about. The central and northern areas, including the Chisos and Outer Mountain Loop are as close to 100% safe from cross-border crime as any place in the U.S. can be. I've been visiting the Big Bend backcountry for over 20 years and never had a single criminal encounter anywhere. That's a way better average than I've had in my hometown of Dallas. That said, I've had way more black bear and mountain lion encounters in Big Bend than I've had in Dallas.  ;)

Tell us about the bear and mountain lion encounters! What happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!