Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Sleeping without a tent/big net

• 30 Replies

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
Re: Sleeping without a tent/big net
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
I carry a uv flashlight just to check the area. If none in the area, Ill give it a try. If I find one, I normally find more in the area. Time to move on.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »
Now that’s a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 01:15:52 AM »
I've spent many nights in the Bend sleeping under the stars with no horrors to report, except for the night it poured down rain at 4 a.m. All those creepy crawlies out there are looking for prey much smaller than you.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
I love just throwing a bivy! I carry a lightweight tarp to build a rain/windbreak if I need it, but usually just throw a strip of tyvek, use my pack as  a pillow with my top quilt. Only once did I wake with a daddy long legs on my face - no biggie, felt like a feather on my face.
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline Jim

• BBNHA Volunteer
  • Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »

Offline hunterhughes

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 01:47:45 PM »
I go tentless most of the time.  The exception is if I am expecting heavy rain or uncertain about the presence of fire ants.  I was surprised to have a few mosquitos buzz me while I slept on a plateau near Mule Ears Spring.  It was too warm to pull my bag over me so I draped a shirt over my face and it keep them at bay.  I woul NOT adding bug netting to my Big Bend packing list.  I also read for a few hours each night so my light tends to attract insects.  During the summer snakes will move around at night and when it is cooler they will mve around during the day.  When it is cold they will not move at all.  Your biggest risk would be going for a leak at night and stepping on one.  But that is there with or without a tent.  Even during the summer, I think it is an irrational fear... but always check your boots and shake out your bag if it has been unattended for a long period. :icon_biggrin: :).

There is something liberating about not having a tent.  Also, making and breaking camp is easier/ faster.  When you climb in a shelter at night you kinda leave the park.  I love sitting on my bag and matt while I have dinner and take everything in. 

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
I go tentless most of the time.  The exception is if I am expecting heavy rain or uncertain about the presence of fire ants.  I was surprised to have a few mosquitos buzz me while I slept on a plateau near Mule Ears Spring.  It was too warm to pull my bag over me so I draped a shirt over my face and it keep them at bay.  I woul NOT adding bug netting to my Big Bend packing list.  I also read for a few hours each night so my light tends to attract insects.  During the summer snakes will move around at night and when it is cooler they will mve around during the day.  When it is cold they will not move at all.  Your biggest risk would be going for a leak at night and stepping on one.  But that is there with or without a tent.  Even during the summer, I think it is an irrational fear... but always check your boots and shake out your bag if it has been unattended for a long period. :icon_biggrin: :).

There is something liberating about not having a tent.  Also, making and breaking camp is easier/ faster.  When you climb in a shelter at night you kinda leave the park.  I love sitting on my bag and matt while I have dinner and take everything in.

Sweet camp hunter!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
A big ground tarp  is nice. You can stretch out a bit.

Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 09:55:06 PM »

Well, I suppose as long as Matt is ok with that...

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »

Well, I suppose as long as Matt is ok with that...

:rolling:

Totally agree with both Hunter and AGC!

Offline hunterhughes

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »
I have cowboy camped 100's of nights and nothing has ever tried to get into my bag or bother me.

Plus you get killer views like this  :icon_biggrin:

Muel Ears, if you go to Western Mountaineering's webstie - they are looking for photos of their gear in use.  I noticed your bag...

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
I have cowboy camped 100's of nights and nothing has ever tried to get into my bag or bother me.

Plus you get killer views like this  :icon_biggrin:

Muel Ears, if you go to Western Mountaineering's webstie - they are looking for photos of their gear in use.  I noticed your bag...

ME's bag rocks!  Superlight.  Thanks for the heads-up, Hunter. I need to dig up and send photos of my semi-rectangular WM Mitylite. I use it as my summer bag, and as an overbag in winter, slipped over my Feathered Friends Winter Wren when the temps drop into single digits.

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.

There are some exceptions but it seems most have no issues with cowboy camping in the desert.  It looks like a tent gets more use in wooded areas, especially during summer time.  Ticks, chiggers and other annoying insects being the main reason.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!