Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Timing of Obtaining Permits (Travel from Dallas)

• 5 Replies

Offline JQ17B

• Kangaroo Rat
Timing of Obtaining Permits (Travel from Dallas)
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:51:32 PM »
Hey gang,

Been lurking for quite a while trying to absorb as much information as I can. My brother and I are planning a visit from the DFW area for either Thu Nov 8 - Sun 11 or Thu Nov 15 - Sun 18 and, as of now, plan to drive from Dallas arriving approximately 3pm on Thursday.

Our tentative itinerary includes doing South Rim & Emory and staying one (Friday) night in the Chisos; we'd also like (if we're able) to stay in the park on Thursday & Saturday night.

Given our afternoon arrival, do you anticipate that we'll have trouble obtaining our desired permits for the South Rim Chisos area to camp in the backcountry on Friday night? Should we plan alternative lodging for Thursday night or will campgrounds like Chisos likely have availability when we arrive? Does the earlier timeframe hold a significantly improved chance of obtaining the permits we desire or should we plan to rearrange our travel to arrive by 7/730am on Thursday morning to make sure we get our Friday campsite in the backcountry (not preferred)?

Appreciate any insight you may be able to offer. Just didn't know if there were still chances of getting Friday night backcountry permits if arriving Thursday afternoon after a long drive from DFW or if we should really be aiming to arrive on Thurs Morning.

Thanks in advance!

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Timing of Obtaining Permits (Travel from Dallas)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:48:19 AM »
You will be fine.  November is a busy month but that is all about Thanksgiving and Veterans Day holidays.  If you avoid those you will have no problem.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline JQ17B

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:56:44 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I guess the reason I was getting a bit nervous is because both of our sets of dates could potentially be considered connected to the Veteranís day weekend and the first portion of Thanksgiving (if someone was planning to take the whole week off). But youíre saying that going out there on a Thursday to take a long weekend over Veteranís day or going out there the weekend before the week of Thanksgiving should both be fine? Thanks again.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:22:45 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I guess the reason I was getting a bit nervous is because both of our sets of dates could potentially be considered connected to the Veteranís day weekend and the first portion of Thanksgiving (if someone was planning to take the whole week off). But youíre saying that going out there on a Thursday to take a long weekend over Veteranís day or going out there the weekend before the week of Thanksgiving should both be fine? Thanks again.

The earlier set of dates puts you there before the weekend, most folks will get there at best Friday evening or Saturday morning, by then you will be with permit and out on the trail.  I doubt many people will have the luxury of taking the whole stretch off from the 10th to the 25th so I think your later days will be good also.  Again the key is getting there on Thursday, mid week, as most people can't do that.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline JQ17B

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
The earlier set of dates puts you there before the weekend, most folks will get there at best Friday evening or Saturday morning, by then you will be with permit and out on the trail.  I doubt many people will have the luxury of taking the whole stretch off from the 10th to the 25th so I think your later days will be good also.  Again the key is getting there on Thursday, mid week, as most people can't do that.

Thanks - very helpful to know. Appreciate your insight!

Offline mrp_84

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
My dad and I are planning on taking a trip out around this time getting their Friday 11/9 and leaving Wednesday. This post caught my attention how crowded is it around Veterans Day? Weíd like to spend a night on the rim or somewhere near there where we. Like catch the sunset then head back to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!