Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

information on getting into Black Gap roads down to the Rio Grande as of Feb 201

• 7 Replies

Offline okieboater

• Kangaroo Rat
Can anyone point me to information as to how to get permission to drive the road in the Black Gap management area down to the Rio Grande?

I was down there a few years back and the gate from the paved highway to the management area was locked.

Thanks

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Can anyone point me to information as to how to get permission to drive the road in the Black Gap management area down to the Rio Grande?

I was down there a few years back and the gate from the paved highway to the management area was locked.

Thanks

I'd call (432) 364-2228 and talk to them.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Dave,
Is this in conjunction with your other post regarding a Lower Canyon float?  You might contact Fred Keller, the caretaker at Heath Ranch (La Linda put-in).  I know he runs shuttles for Boquillas and Temple canyon floaters on occasion and might have some insight w/ regards to Black Gap.  Also, if you put in at La Linda, you wouldn't need a permit for Black Gap.

Offline mr.bean5150

• Coyote
Didn't where I should post this but I just came across this info from a facebook post:

Chances are, you don't know Fred. For years, he's been the gatekeeper at the Rio takeout at the end of FM 2627, the end of the road, at Heath Canyon Ranch, across the highway from Black Gap, across the Rio from the abandoned mining town of La Linda. Not many folks ever get out that far, and it's a lonely place. But Fred lived there, mostly alone, making his living shuttling Rio paddlers and keeping an eye on everything. EVERYTHING. On the day we took out a week or so ago, we got to spend some time with this cantankerous, opinionated old coot, and learned that he had a scheduled surgery the following Monday. He was, as ever, in rare form, and kept as amused and confounded, as ever. He even tracked us down the next morning, on the verge of anger -- humorous to us -- just to retrieve his milk crate we used for our empty beer cans, and boy was he pissed. Milk crates aren't easy to come by out this far. We learned today that his surgery never happened, his liver failed, and they were pulling him off life support today. Knowing him like we do, he'll probably hang on longer than anyone expects. He's like that. He's also not the kind of guy most of us would agree with on many fronts, but he is who he is, and if we were all alike, this world would be a boring place. We'll drink a few Misty Mornings tomorrow, to Fred, the weirdest, most infamous, and almost only dude at the end of the world.
"Do or Do Not, There Is No Try"
                                  "Yoda"

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
Didn't where I should post this but I just came across this info from a facebook post:

Chances are, you don't know Fred. For years, he's been the gatekeeper at the Rio takeout at the end of FM 2627, the end of the road, at Heath Canyon Ranch, across the highway from Black Gap, across the Rio from the abandoned mining town of La Linda. Not many folks ever get out that far, and it's a lonely place. But Fred lived there, mostly alone, making his living shuttling Rio paddlers and keeping an eye on everything. EVERYTHING. On the day we took out a week or so ago, we got to spend some time with this cantankerous, opinionated old coot, and learned that he had a scheduled surgery the following Monday. He was, as ever, in rare form, and kept as amused and confounded, as ever. He even tracked us down the next morning, on the verge of anger -- humorous to us -- just to retrieve his milk crate we used for our empty beer cans, and boy was he pissed. Milk crates aren't easy to come by out this far. We learned today that his surgery never happened, his liver failed, and they were pulling him off life support today. Knowing him like we do, he'll probably hang on longer than anyone expects. He's like that. He's also not the kind of guy most of us would agree with on many fronts, but he is who he is, and if we were all alike, this world would be a boring place. We'll drink a few Misty Mornings tomorrow, to Fred, the weirdest, most infamous, and almost only dude at the end of the world.

I am so sorry to hear about Fred!  I certainly didnít know him, but had definitely heard of him and hoped to meet him someday when I finally make it to La Linda. 

Sent from the future.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Last of a kind, similar to losing Victor.  New age, new people or maybe no people watching over things in the same way.  Sad.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
Last of a kind, similar to losing Victor.  New age, new people or maybe no people watching over things in the same way.  Sad.

You're so right, Mule Ears.  I wonder if these people, Fred Keller, Victor, Judy Magers "Burro Lady", know that even though they were alone or at least isolated, how many people knew of them.  How much fame, if you will, they had. 

And are these people being replaced?  Do we have more or new "different" kind of people living out there?

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
I, too, was looking forward to meeting Fred.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!