Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

"Newbies" worried about 4wd, look here.

• 6 Replies

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
"Newbies" worried about 4wd, look here.
« on: November 02, 2017, 12:16:14 PM »
Let me preface this by saying, conditions were DRY!
We just got back from a week there. We did ALL of the backroads in a stock Jeep Wrangler. I never once used the 4wd. Never even engaged it. The extra clearance certainly helped, but 2wd all the way. I understand that if the conditions had been wet, it would have been a different story. But don't be scared of those signs. Be smart, go slow, choose your lines carefully, and use common sense. You might skip parts of Black Gap, and a few places on River Road West were touch & go, but all the rest of the roads were easy.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: "Newbies" worried about 4wd, look here.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »
We just got back from a week there. We did ALL of the backroads in a stock Jeep Wrangler. I never once used the 4wd. Never even engaged it. The extra clearance certainly helped, but 2wd all the way. I understand that if the conditions had been wet, it would have been a different story. But don't be scared of those signs. Be smart, go slow, choose your lines carefully, and use common sense. You might skip parts of Black Gap, and a few places on River Road West were touch & go, but all the rest of the roads were easy.

The NPS road/trail difficulty ratings are seriously skewed toward the most inept of travelers; the kind that get lost/stuck in Walmart parking lots.

The agency does a great disservice to the greater majority of capable folks with their extreme level of dire warnings about these things, when those in the most inept category seldom leave the pavement or get very far from visitor centers and passport stamps that prove what incredible outdoors folks they are.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
All those warnings, and yet Old Ore Road's posted speed limit is 25 mph!  I've driven it numerous times, and there's only about a mile of it that can be driven at that speed without leaving parts of your vehicle behind...   :icon_lol:
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
All those warnings, and yet Old Ore Road's posted speed limit is 25 mph!  I've driven it numerous times, and there's only about a mile of it that can be driven at that speed without leaving parts of your vehicle behind...   :icon_lol:

It's simple. The NPS left hand does not know what the NPS right hand is doing.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »

Next time, spend some time in the State Park and exercise that transfer case and front diff.  :great:
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline Sneed1979

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:22:47 PM »

True. I think I averaged 10 mph overall for the whole week, and I don't think I ever hit 25.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

Next time, spend some time in the State Park and exercise that transfer case and front diff.  :great:
Agreed!   I discovered Paseo Al Solitario trail last year when I was there.  What a great trail!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:48:06 PM by RichardM »
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!