Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

any reason to carry extra gas

• 12 Replies

Offline riverdogrescuer

• Kangaroo Rat
any reason to carry extra gas
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
just curious if I need to invest in  extra gas carriers for my upcoming trip.  I plan to run the backroads, but will only stay one night at a time before going  back to the cabin I rented.  I know I can get gas in study butte on the way there or back.  I guess what I am asking is does it take more than one tank of gas to get down any of the roads and back to where you can get gas.  thanks.  Don't want to spend for jerry cans if I probably wouldn't need them.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Re: any reason to carry extra gas
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:31:05 PM »
What kind of vehicle do you drive?  What kind of gas mileage does it normally get?  The back roads in Big Bend are not that extensive.  There's also a pump at PJ.

I'd be more concerned about making sure I had extra water and food, just on the off chance something really bad wrong happens.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »
and maybe an extra spare tire

Offline riverdogrescuer

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
I drive a 2018 Jeep JK 4 door with stock tires.  I only have one spare but have all I need to change that one, plus I do have air compressor.  Guess I need to get a good plug set.  I have never taken it off the hwy, but I get a good 19 mpg with a 22 gal tank.  I am more worried about the tires than the gas, but would cost too much for rack and additional spare.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
What kind of vehicle do you drive?  What kind of gas mileage does it normally get?  The back roads in Big Bend are not that extensive.  There's also a pump at PJ.

I'd be more concerned about making sure I had extra water and food, just on the off chance something really bad wrong happens.

and maybe an extra spare tire

All good suggestions, but it doesn't hurt to carry at least a couple of gallons of gas (and a couple quarts of oil), particularly if motoring as a single vehicle in the desert.

It's all about awareness, preparation and self-sufficiency.

You can get relatively inexpensive 2 & 5 gallon plastic cans (Walmart, Costco, Sams) that are entirely adequate, buy the more expensive Rotopax modular versions, or get a real metal (and expensive) Jerry can (avoid the cheap Chinese knockoffs). Regardless, they provide utility for lots of things, not just driving in the desert.

Unfortunately, all these things now come with the endlessly aggravating EPA/CARB nozzles. The CARB part tells you where this originated:  California, where apparently its citizens are too stupid to carry and pour gasoline from a can without nanny state interference. It then comes to haunt the rest of us. However, there is a thriving industry online where you can get traditional nozzles, as an add-on to the total cost of ownership.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline CC

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
I usually bring a five gallon can for
convenience in case I donít feel like stopping for gas at PJ, or in case an ice storm knocks out the power to the gas station, or in case I meet up with an unprepared Jeep driver and want to make a profit by selling my gas at confiscatory prices.  So far I have never needed it and might start leaving the can at home.

Sounds like you will be fine. Follow the rule of thirds.  One third of your fuel to go out, one third to get back, and one third reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Mesquito

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
I carry extra gas when I go to Big Bend Ranch, usually 7.5 gallons.   With that I can stay out there 3-4 days without any anxiety.  At trail speeds gas lasts a surprisingly long time.   Itís hard to imagine a BIg Bend National Park itinerary for a couple of days where you would need more, and the space might be better used for an extra spare or water or maybe some.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 05:18:36 PM »
I carry extra gas when I go to Big Bend Ranch, usually 7.5 gallons.   With that I can stay out there 3-4 days without any anxiety.  At trail speeds gas lasts a surprisingly long time.   Itís hard to imagine a BIg Bend National Park itinerary for a couple of days where you would need more, and the space might be better used for an extra spare or water or maybe some.

+1

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »
My truck holds nearly 35 gallons of gas and runs for over 400 miles. (I can go from San Antonio to Alpine and still have almost 100 miles left.) As long as I have a full tank,  I never worry about it.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »
I don't "off road" (although I am pricing the new Jeep Wrangler JL's!).  I do however get a bit anal about it all and I usually keep my truck topped off when I'm out there, either from Study Butte or the station in the park. Every time I pass it, I stop even for a quarter tank.  Figure, that's all day driving without having to worry.

My last trip there I met a young lady staying in a motor home at Croton Springs campsite.  She traveled during the day on a small moped and complained about her limited range.  Although she got good gas mileage on the moped, her tank was extremely small and she needed to include swinging back by the gas station on any trip so she could top off.  She had never really needed a gas can before and they didn't sell any small one or two gallon ones in the park. Her range was definitely limited.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  I always take spare fuel when I'm wheeling out in the desert.  First time our there, the Study Butte gas station ran out because the gas trucks were iced in up north.

Now about your stock tires... what ply are they?  I heard the new jeeps come with BF Goodrich AT tires, so if they are C rated and above, you're probably ok.  If they are crappy highway tires, spend the money and get yourself something beefy.

The State Park website has a great PDF about wheeling in their park, but it's good sense in all of Big Bend.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »

Now about your stock tires... what ply are they?  I heard the new jeeps come with BF Goodrich AT tires, so if they are C rated and above, you're probably ok.  If they are crappy highway tires, spend the money and get yourself something beefy.

If it's me your asking about tires, I don't have a Jeep just yet. I've just been looking and studying.  Son got his license and has taken over my truck.  Thinking I might replace it with a Jeep.  Not the Rubicon or anything, just a Sport.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »

If it's me your asking about tires, I don't have a Jeep just yet. I've just been looking and studying.  Son got his license and has taken over my truck.  Thinking I might replace it with a Jeep.  Not the Rubicon or anything, just a Sport.
I was asking the OP of the post, but it still applies if you will be driving around Big Bend and other rough terrain.
A good set of tires is one of the best things you can do to upgrade your rig. I have the E rated tires, considered 10 ply, and I can honestly say I've never had issues other than bolts and nails being embedded in them.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!