Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

back road out of park to hwy 170?

• 14 Replies

Offline mini64

• Jack Rabbit
    • Team Fawcett
back road out of park to hwy 170?
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:46 AM »
Did I once see mention of a dirt road that leads out of the park to hwy 170, somewhere near Lajitas or similar?  maybe an extension of river road west?

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: back road out of park to hwy 170?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
Only official road I know is Old Maverick Road, but perhaps there may be some abandoned ones heading more or less westerly from the Santa Elena/Terlingua Abajo area...  :eusa_think:

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Only official road I know is Old Maverick Road, but perhaps there may be some abandoned ones heading more or less westerly from the Santa Elena/Terlingua Abajo area...  :eusa_think:

The problem is crossing Terlingua Creek.......
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline mediopelo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
There is a network of dirt roads from Highway 170 on the west side of Reed Plateau that will take you to the park boundary near Needle Peak, or down Long Draw to the boundary, but they are on private property and it would be illegal for a vehicle to be on the park anywhere in that area or anywhere except on a designated road.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »
Wasn't there a post about a month ago from someone who told his GPS "No Tolls" and the GPS interpreted this to include no park entrance fees, so it routed them through some very backcountry roads west of the park?  But they eventually arrived inside the park.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »
There's a road from near Dog Canyon on the park road to Terlingua Ranch, 12 miles north of Terlingua.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
Wasn't there a post about a month ago from someone who told his GPS "No Tolls" and the GPS interpreted this to include no park entrance fees, so it routed them through some very backcountry roads west of the park?  But they eventually arrived inside the park.
More North than West. Their GPS sent them on the Terlingua Ranch Road (aka Marathon Road if you're heading East).

We continued following the Garmin's instructions...whic h got us turned around in Terlingua Ranch. No worries, the GPS rerouted us and said we were only 5 miles from the Park. We drove our rantal car (a 4 door Chevy sedan) onto a gravel road. So far, so good.

After the 5 miles we came to a big metal sign informing us that we had now entered Big Bend National Park. Yay!! The GPS now chirped that we had 14miles to go until we were on the road to the Ranger Station. We figured the road we were on (Terlingua Ranch Road) would be the same for the whole 14 miles, that is: relatively well-used and hard packed.

Sadly, we were mistaken. We went over some small blind ridges (you couldn't see the top as you started up..) and almost got bogged down in some sandy parts. To add to all of this Ben (one of my buddies) was playing DJ in the car and had thrown on "The End" by The Doors. It made for a very creepy vibe in the car.

After we made it to the road (385) we were ecstatic. We got out and took a picture with the sign for Terlingua Ranch Road. Haha

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
There is an old road just to the west of Castolon, which starts from the Santa Elena Canyon Rd. It goes NW for a bit, (near an NPS gravel pit). It drops into Alamo Creek for a while and then crosses the Old Maverick Road south of Rattlesnake Mtn. From there crossing Terlingua Creek on the west side of Rattlesnake Mtn, it continues NW to hook back up with Hwy 170 - south of Terlingua. Like I said crossing Terlingua Creek is the tough part, but it's all a mute point anyway as the rules prohibit off road vehicular travel.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »
I found this old post by Zopilote that seems to be on topic ( the old cars pic didn't copy over):

Seems like everytone loves their vehicle. W D Smithers wrote about his Dodge Roadster that he drove throught the BB from the early '20s to mid '30s. He would leave the mining district at Terlingua and take one of the old roads that ran on either side o Reed Plateau down to Castolon for a visit. He then drove along the old portion of River Road (along the River) to around Buenos Aires, where the road joines the present Riverr Rd. W, and on to the Johnsons ranch for a visit. After spending the nite at San Vincente, and a visit to a few Hot Springs, he'd head to Hannold's store and on to Boquillas. There is a photo of his Roadster up on Mesa de Anguila (somewhere).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:50:41 AM by RichardM »

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »
I found this old post by Zopilote that seems to be on topic ( the old cars pic didn't copy over):

Seems like everytone loves their vehicle. W D Smithers wrote about his Dodge Roadster that he drove throught the BB from the early '20s to mid '30s. He would leave the mining district at Terlingua and take one of the old roads that ran on either side o Reed Plateau down to Castolon for a visit. He then drove along the old portion of River Road (along the River) to around Buenos Aires, where the road joines the present Riverr Rd. W, and on to the Johnsons ranch for a visit. After spending the nite at San Vincente, and a visit to a few Hot Springs, he'd head to Hannold's store and on to Boquillas. There is a photo of his Roadster up on Mesa de Anguila (somewhere).

Wow -- How/where would you get a car up onto MDA?!
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
heres the picture Zopilot posted

Offline Quixote Kid

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »
Wow! Mesa De Anguila sure had a lot of trees back then.

:eusa_shifty:

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
Not sure of the origin or authenticity of the picture , maybe Zopilot can clue us in
also , the satellite photos and topo map show a road ? from Terlingua to the old Maverick road , passing north of the Reed plateau and heading to Rattlesnake mountain. Anybody ever travel this route ? I'm guessing its pretty rough.

Offline Zopilote

• Roadrunner
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
That pic of the old roadster is not Smithers' on the Mesa. Smithers took lots of photos of his car. What i meant to write is that somewhere, maybe in the Archives of BB,  there is a pic of his car on the mesa. I was told this by an old timer who said the trail up on the mesa is back by the International Airport.  From Terlingua Abaja to the Mines north , roads followed
Well Creek or Long Drawto where is now !70. The Long Draw road enters the park at a gate west of Rattlesnake Mt. It is a swing gate closed with a wire latch. Not in use much.

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
Thanks  Zopilote , that is a cool picture though , wherever it was taken

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!