Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Best and Worst primitive roadside campsites?

• 54 Replies

Offline EdB

• Coyote
    • my blog
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 05:26:13 PM »
Quote from: "Randell"
Welcome!  Nice to have you on board.  Might we see some of these "sunrise photos" you speak of?

I'm working on uploading photos from a bunch of my trips right now. When I get my most recent Big Bend trip done (it's the first one I'm doing), I'll throw the link out here.

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »
Welcome EdB. If you get the photos ready fairly soon you can also join the Big Bend Photos MSN group and have them entered into the photo contest which ends 4-8-06. Go here for more info: http://groups.msn.com/bigbendphotos/general.msn

Offline EdB

• Coyote
    • my blog
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 08:36:07 PM »
Some photos are up now. I just posted the link to the album on the photo forum : http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php?topic=603.0

chisos_muse

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 08:43:07 PM »
Great photos Ed! :D  Thanks for posting them.....Hope you enjoyed your trip as well 8)

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 09:26:57 PM »
Some really great shots! Congrats!

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »
I've been on two trips so far, but I've had some awesome experiences!

The Pine Canyon campsite #4 is awesome. I spent my very first night in BB there. This was at the new location (away from the trailhead). I wished the damn map had been updated because my wife and I thought we were camped right next to the trailhead. Note that the map we were given at HQ (Sept. 2004) showed the campsite AT the trailhead. We begain our hike of Pine Canyon from the campsite, and it's probably almost 1 mile from the trailhead! (i.e. our fabulous Pine Canyon hike was about an extra 2 miles longer than necessary!).

Anyway, PC4 has amazing views and provides much peace and isolation from the world. Sunset and sunrise there was awesome because of the long distances you can see and all the mountains that pretty much ring the horizon.
http://www.texbrick.com/photo/bb/bb_pic03.jpg

Ernst Tinaja #1 is great. It's in close proximity to the trailhead (could be a bad thing during busy times) so you can hike into the canyon directly from the camp. There's a small hill to the west that once climbed, offers awesome views of the Chisos.

We had a nice visit here, despite getting a flat tire and then being surprized by a very stealthy park ranger. We were eating dinner after sunset and all of a sudden became aware of a man walking towards us! I nearly choked on my food, which was a good thing becuase it prevented me from screaming like a little girl. But he was friendly and just wanted to check on us and look at our permit.
http://www.texbrick.com/photo/bb_trip_plan/et_8.jpg

The Elephant Tusk primitive site looks pretty nice, but I didn't stay there. I parked near there to start an overnight hike to the peak. Here's a shot that's somewhat close to the campsite:
http://www.texbrick.com/photo/big_bend2/details_text/bb2_dt_04.jpg

The campsite is right across the road from the trailhead, so it was a little busy because of people who parked there to go hike up to the peak. The campsite reminded me some of PC#4- it's in a very open, flat stretch of country with mountians off in the distance 360?.

Of course you can always haul your stuff about 4 miles down the trail and camp close to the peak  :D
http://www.texbrick.com/photo/big_bend2/details_text/bb2_dt_13.jpg

I go to Big Bend for the scenery mainly, but also for the peace, quiet, and solitude (hey, who doesn't?  :D ) I think that any backcountry site that is remote and tough to get to will be a pretty good site. I'd like to try the campsites at Telephone Canyon, Willow Tank/Ernst Basin, Glenn Spring, Juniper Canyon, and Dominguez Trailhead. Of course with Zone camping rules, you can camp just about anywhere outside the Chisos!

Offline trailblazer

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »
My top  car camping sites are as follows:

1. chimney"s  
2. ernst tinaja 2
3. pine canyon 3
4. juniper canyon 2
5. paint gap 1

want to do list

elephant's tusk
fresno
rice tank

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
No Brainer
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 10:46:23 PM »
Any backroad campsite is better then, dare I say, any of the grouped campsites . . .  Go for it!

Al

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
Re: Best and Worst primitive roadside campsites?
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
If it is OK, I'll breathe a little life into this thread.

Are there any of these primitive roadside campsites with anything remotely resembling shade--a small bluff, a single cottonwood tree or anything of the sort.

I know it is unlikely but you dont' know if you don't ask.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »
kevin, paint gap 4 is surrounded by hills, it is in the shade early evening. all the others i've seen have no shade, i take some. we've used a popup out there with good results, it didn't blow away! the sun sets earlier at the sites on the east side of the chisos. 

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
The last Grapevine Hills site, I think it's 5,  is surrounded by brush and if you laid down in the right spot might even have some limited shade at noon.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
If you want shade, stay out of the desert and opt for the upper Chisos.

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
Yep.  That's what I thought.  The closest thing I could think of that is automobile accessible is Twisted Shoe.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
twisted shoe, robbers roost, pine canyon 5 are three of my favorite campsites. robbers roost has two or three tent  spaces, it's the largest of the three.

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
Last April we camped at PC4...there wasn't any shade, but there were two nice sotol stalks at the camp site.  I put an awning on the old Coleman using my siltarp and shocked the tie downs over the tent with some small bungees, which worked well in the high wind.  It worked nicely as a wind block when cooking dinner and provided enough shade for us to relax and enjoy a cold one from the cooler. 

This was our first trip to take advantage of the primitive road sites; we camped at Terlingua Abajo and Grapevine Hills as well. Somehow it felt like we were cheating.

PC4  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

My Girl always rocks the food!  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

Very convenient!  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

It was nice to break out the cots and the big thermarest...why not cadillac-it when car camping?
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!