Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Best and Worst primitive roadside campsites?

• 54 Replies

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
« on: January 20, 2006, 02:43:16 PM »
In your opinion which are the best and worst primitive roadside campsites in the park (desert only as there are none in the chisos) and why?

Offline dave2

• Diamondback
    • http://www.descant.tcu.edu
roadside camp sites
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:10:15 PM »
I don't much like K Bar because of the power line that is visible from the camp site.  There are a lot of good sites, Rice Tank is one because of its shelter from the north wind and for its view of the Chisos and Elphant Tusk.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:03:35 PM »
Desert Roadside campsites in order of shear perfection (well, maybe not perfection):

1. Juniper Canyon 1 (excellent view of NE Rim and Sierra Del Carmen)
2. Elephant Tusk 1 (because of it's pure openness and remotness)
3. Roy's Peak (seclusion and cool stuff to look at)
4. Chimney's (forget the number)
5. Glenn Springs 2
6. Nine Point Draw
7. Willow Tank

Least favorite:

Any site that is adjacent to another or on a busy road; ie., grapevine
Don't particularly like any of the ones along the river....

woodrow

River Sites
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
Why not the river sites ??

SHANEA

IMHO
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 09:32:45 AM »
1.  Too close to Ole Mexico and there have always been reports of camps being raided and things stolen.  Don't know for sure, might even be worse now that we have closed all of the "illegal" border crossings and ruined the economy over there.  2.  Generally, being camped along the river is usually a long ways from places I want to visit and hikes I want to do - and at 45mph on paved roads it takes forever.  3.  Me and my hiking/camping buddy have decided that we need to be "closer" to the hot springs at the close of each day so that we can chat with the Benders and locals and relax tired bones and watch the sun go away. - What a way to end the day!  Gosh darn it, I wish I was there right now!  We had a black Friday at work - layed off about 40 people including some good friends - one who had been there over thirty years.  Work Sux, I'm going to Big Bend...   8)

chisos_muse

Skurred...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 02:43:24 PM »
Yes when we even did the short Boquillas Canyon hike last spring there were alot of questionable peeps along the river that were yelling at us wanting to buy the walking sticks, but some other weird peeps that I'm sure weren't selling anything........I personally would not camp along the river either.

Shane, sorry about your workplace :(
When I'm having a bad day I always say out loud "I wanna go play in the park with the roadrunners and the kitties! Wah-Wah!"

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: River Sites
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 07:49:29 PM »
Quote from: "woodrow"
Why not the river sites ??

:oops:

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
Thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 12:38:15 PM »
Guys and gals for your replies so far. Any more?

Lemming_of_the_BDA

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 07:18:06 AM »
Pine Canyon 3 is my favorite. It's about 5 miles from the paved road, so you don't get much traffic, but it's close enough to the center of the park that everything is convenient (relatively speaking). And the views are spectacular.

Didn't care for Pine Canyon 4 until they moved it. Prior to the move, it was like camping in a parking lot. That was the jump off for the Pine Canyon trail.

I won't stay along the river. The potential to have violence committed upon oneself is too great.

By the way, does anyone know if PC1 & PC2 have been split up yet?? I talked to  a Ranger a while back and she said that was the plan.

SHANEA

99%
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 09:37:43 AM »
I'm 99% sure when we drove by there, December 2005, they had not been split up because we remarked how "close" they were.  We had been given the opportunity of camping there or La Noria - and fortunately we took La Noria.

Offline JeffB

• Black Bear
    • http://www.astroforecast.org/bbindex.html
Pine Canyon sites
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »
The last Pine Canyon sites are very good.  The first couple are too close together and have a "parking lot" feel.  I prefer PC #4 because it is nearest one of the best hiking trailheads at the park.  Its a bit of a roungh drive in, I would recommend at least a high clearance vehicle and preferably 4WD.
Jeff Bullard
Dallas, TX

Offline billh

• Coyote
    • Wilderness in the City
sites
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 01:47:46 PM »
we camped for many years at K Bar and really liked it actually. Several years ago they moved the site, however and divided into 2 sites, one of which was in the old parking area, where it was very difficult to drive stakes for tents.

We've camped at Croton Springs, but it's close to highway, so people drive through which made me a bit concerned about theft, but never had a problem.

We have camped at Govt Springs, but there's a stable there, so flies could be an issue. Liked Paint Gap.

Offline gmonroe

• Kangaroo Rat
Old Ore Road Places
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »
Anyone ever camped at Carlota Tinaja?  I probably shouldn’t give away one of my secrete hiding places, but we used to camp there all the time when on the old ore road and exploring the east side of the park.  You can drive right by it an never see it if your not looking.  A beautiful little rock shelf overlooks Tornillo Creek and makes a fine place to set up camp (if you don’t mind hauling your stuff around the mall ledge along the Tinaja, which is almost always filled with water).  You can’t beat the sunset there…from most anywhere in the park.  My first experience with Ouzo was at Carlota.  I found out why they call it Ouzo…your brains ooze out of your ears.  I found myself plastered to a flat rock the next morning.  Oh for the old days when my body would put up with such nonsense.  :wink:

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Old Ore Road Places
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 06:14:40 PM »
Quote from: "gmonroe"
Anyone ever camped at Carlota Tinaja?  I probably shouldn’t give away one of my secrete hiding places, but we used to camp there all the time when on the old ore road and exploring the east side of the park.  You can drive right by it an never see it if your not looking.  A beautiful little rock shelf overlooks Tornillo Creek and makes a fine place to set up camp (if you don’t mind hauling your stuff around the mall ledge along the Tinaja, which is almost always filled with water).  You can’t beat the sunset there…from most anywhere in the park.  My first experience with Ouzo was at Carlota.  I found out why they call it Ouzo…your brains ooze out of your ears.  I found myself plastered to a flat rock the next morning.  Oh for the old days when my body would put up with such nonsense.  :wink:

carlota tinaja...never done that one...perhaps i'll try this time.  Ouzo, my favorite college drink!  haven't had it in a while.....for a reason.... :-&

SHANEA

Ted
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 06:36:03 PM »
What's Nugent camping spot like - over by Pine Canyon?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!