Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Best Backroad with Views/Points of Interest

• 7 Replies

Offline macksigep

• Kangaroo Rat
Best Backroad with Views/Points of Interest
« on: November 16, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »
Hey all,

Heading out Friday am to camp at Stillwell. This is our first trip to BiBe and are curious about which roads offer the best views or special places of interest. I know that south east offers the hot springs and would love to hear more about that, or any other roads that offer watering holes/places to bathe, and awesome views.

Clearance is not an issue, have Discovery with 75's and a 3" lift. However, I am a novice at wheeling off-road. 

Offline RockDoc

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Best Backroad with Views/Points of Interest
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 08:33:32 PM »
There are many members with much more experience than I have.  I will give a brief summary of two separate trips. I took the Glen Springs Road and then took the road to Pine Canyon.  A great little hike in and out of the Canyon.  We then got back on the Glen Springs Road and drove down to the River Road and turned west to Mariscol Mine. This abandoned mine site is worth the drive. If you go past this to the Talley Road and go south you can find the trail for the Mariscol Canyon Rim trail. This trail has no shade and is a moderate to strenuous hike but fantastic views from the top of the canyon looking down on the Rio Grande. I personally have not done the River Road West beyond Talley. The roads are good and I never needed 4WD. High clearance is a must. I have not tried the Black Gap Road as it is not maintained and reports indicate a more challenging Road. I was in a 4WD 4Runner and Jeep Cherokee both without additional lift. The short Road to the Hot Springs was a good trip and the trail that goes up and over the cliff has great views over the Rio Grande. Think it's the upper hot springs trail. I have read Langford's book on living there in the early 1900's and think the last remnants of his home are up on the cliff. I could be mistaken but there is the footprint of a home up on the cliff. I would start early and give plenty of time. Let us know how it goes.

Offline macksigep

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:30:19 AM »
Awesome information sir thank you! I will add this information to the trip notes!

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:39:27 AM »
There are many members with much more experience than I have.  I will give a brief summary of two separate trips. I took the Glen Springs Road and then took the road to Pine Canyon.  A great little hike in and out of the Canyon.  We then got back on the Glen Springs Road and drove down to the River Road and turned west to Mariscol Mine. This abandoned mine site is worth the drive. If you go past this to the Talley Road and go south you can find the trail for the Mariscol Canyon Rim trail. This trail has no shade and is a moderate to strenuous hike but fantastic views from the top of the canyon looking down on the Rio Grande. I personally have not done the River Road West beyond Talley. The roads are good and I never needed 4WD. High clearance is a must. I have not tried the Black Gap Road as it is not maintained and reports indicate a more challenging Road. I was in a 4WD 4Runner and Jeep Cherokee both without additional lift. The short Road to the Hot Springs was a good trip and the trail that goes up and over the cliff has great views over the Rio Grande. Think it's the upper hot springs trail. I have read Langford's book on living there in the early 1900's and think the last remnants of his home are up on the cliff. I could be mistaken but there is the footprint of a home up on the cliff. I would start early and give plenty of time. Let us know how it goes.

+1 on all the above.

My son and I did Black Gap in his stock Trooper w/out issue.  Never once engaged 4WD.   Your Disco should be fine on any of the roads.

I've not driven it, but don't forget Old Ore Road on the northeast side of the park. 

Offline macksigep

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »
Old Ore is def on the list; thank you for that. Black Ore, I personally have mixed feelings on that one. I have seen some posts that indicated that it is not maintained. I may give it a go, but turn around if it gets to hairy....

Offline mini64

• Jack Rabbit
    • Team Fawcett
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
Seems you are interested in doing the dirt roads which is great, but if you've never been to BiBe you owe it to yourselves to drive the paved Ross Maxwell scenic route all the way down to Elena  Canyon and a trip up into the basin mountains. 

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Old Ore is def on the list; thank you for that. Black Ore, I personally have mixed feelings on that one. I have seen some posts that indicated that it is not maintained. I may give it a go, but turn around if it gets to hairy....

Black Gap is not maintained, true, but we didn't think it was that bad.  The only issue we had was not paying attention when we left Glenn Springs and we turtled on a section of road.  Simply backed out and re-routed.  We were more careful after that.

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:34:03 AM »
Don't forget the state park. Lots of dirt/unimproved road there also. Several waterfalls/spring in the area too.

Sent from flat land

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!