Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Black Gap "pinch canyon" -- BEFORE the concrete

• 29 Replies

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
Black Gap "pinch canyon" -- BEFORE the concrete
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »
Anyone have any pics of the "pinch canyon" portion (as I saw it called in another post) of Black Gap Road before the concrete?  I'd heard how hairy that road was, and when we went, it didn't seem like much at all because of said concrete...

Just wondering what it was like in the raw...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:40:47 AM by ds9writer »
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
Re: Black Gap "pinch canyon" -- BEFORE the concrete
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
I would like to see it also. it was not near as bad as I thought it would have been.  I took it the other way in my wife's FJ and was pretty easy. Im pretty sure in dry conditions I could have taken my 2wd trailblazer down black gap road.

everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Damdifino

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:48:59 AM »
Sorry, I don't have pics of the "Black Gap" of Black Gap Road because the last time I passed through in February 2014 there were a couple of dirt-bikers blasting repeatedly through it and I just wanted to stay clear of them. However, at the time there were no concrete "improvements," nor have there ever been previously, to my knowledge.

At the time I passed through, it was pretty gnarly, with large uneven protruding boulders as well as many sizeable loose rocks. I managed to sustain some noticeable gouges to my front and rear rocker panels under the bumpers. Of course, whatever else its considerable merits, the LC 200 series is not known for its approach and departure angles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26823246@N08/15104567412/

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:03:15 AM by Damdifino »

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »
You can see the concrete under the Jeep in the top post...

BTW, looked at your flickr pics and very jealous of your San Juan pics - on what trail(s) were these taken (I see Mr. Sneffels, so I know some are around Ouray)?  Looking for some good dirt and off-road trails up there...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:59:37 AM by ds9writer »

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
BTW, looked at your flickr pics and very jealous...
Ditto...
Ditto...
Ditto...
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline Damdifino

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
I just got back from an eight week trip to southern Utah and the San Juans. That pic is probably from Yankee Boy Basin. I also did Clear Lake, Ophir Pass,  California Pass, Hurricane Pass, Last Dollar Road and a few others. In Utah the highlights were White Rim Road, Gemini Bridges Road and Hells Revenge. Some of these not recommended for stock vehicle, which is what I have. It was great fun!

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
That pic is probably from Yankee Boy Basin. I also did Clear Lake, Ophir Pass,  California Pass, Hurricane Pass, Last Dollar Road and a few others.

Wonderful!  Thanks for the info!

I'm familiar with that area, but from my long-passed backpacking days, not from an off-road point of view... hope to head up there and take some of those roads very soon!

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »

I just got back from an eight week trip to southern Utah and the San Juans. That pic is probably from Yankee Boy Basin. I also did Clear Lake, Ophir Pass,  California Pass, Hurricane Pass, Last Dollar Road and a few others. In Utah the highlights were White Rim Road, Gemini Bridges Road and Hells Revenge. Some of these not recommended for stock vehicle, which is what I have. It was great fun!

Last Dollar has been on my list for a while.

Kevint
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
Im pretty sure in dry conditions I could have taken my 2wd trailblazer down black gap road.

I'm considering doing this road in November.  My vehicle is a stock '98 Suburban, 4WD, with decent off-road tires.  From what I've seen on YouTube, my only concern is the "pinch canyon".

Is my Burb too long to make the turn and will my tail end drag when I go down the "steps".  I'm not worried about scratches and minor dents, but I don't want to to come out the other side leaking essentials fluids - gas, oil, transmission, etc.

Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
Just located this on YouTube.  Uploaded Sep 22, 2014.  I don't know when it was shot.

There are links in the notes to specific portions of the road.

-- Kevin (W5KLT)

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 08:48:43 AM »
You'll be fine Jalco

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »
Here's my '93 Suburban pulling a Ben Hur trailer going through the pinch last Thanksgiving:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1poOSp3x4TBRWjN46YXA7KuyF_x9iaa06x_xA_iYdaI?feat=directlink

It's a stock 2500 4x4 running with 265/75's.
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
Is my Burb too long to make the turn and will my tail end drag when I go down the "steps".  I'm not worried about scratches and minor dents, but I don't want to to come out the other side leaking essentials fluids - gas, oil, transmission, etc.

Here's a video we put together running a Jeep with a 2 1/2" lift... at the end you can see what it looks like coming down the steps...  admittedly the Jeep is much shorter and probably a little bit higher, but you can probably get a good idea how your vehicle will be...

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  After looking at a few of the links (nice trailer,Buck), I realize we'll do fine.  We'll be running the road north to south (up the steps rather than down) w/ Elephant Tusk as our intended destination.  That's a whole 'nother topic to research.

Great forum.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!