Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Black Gap "pinch canyon" -- BEFORE the concrete

• 29 Replies

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
Re: Black Gap "pinch canyon" -- BEFORE the concrete
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
Just located this on YouTube.  Uploaded Sep 22, 2014.  I don't know when it was shot.

There are links in the notes to specific portions of the road.

Having reviewed this video, I was more concerned about the washes than the step.  I guess on this day mud was a factor but climbing up out of one of the washes near the end (1:49:00) was pretty steep and loose.  Any thoughts?

I'm considering the same trip. 
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
As long as you have a spotter, you're probably ok... I know we got out of the Jeep 2-3 times between Glenn Spring and the "pinch" - some deep ruts, but if you have someone guiding where your tires go, it should be ok...
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
The washes near the Glen Springs end were pretty bad.  We had the burb on three wheels through one area and I was briefly worried about tipping over - unfounded, but it gave me that momentary 'but clench' feeling!  :icon_eek:
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:43 AM »
Having reviewed this video, I was more concerned about the washes than the step.  I guess on this day mud was a factor but climbing up out of one of the washes near the end (1:49:00) was pretty steep and loose.  Any thoughts?

I'm considering the same trip.

I've always considered that spot crossing Fresno Creek near ET1 camp more difficult than the "pinch"..

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »
Having reviewed this video, I was more concerned about the washes than the step.

Here's a video we shot of some of those washes and rough spots... the last segment is REALLY shaky, but my son was trying to spot me, shoot the video, walk backward and not trip all at the same time   :icon_lol:

Offline SureNSteady

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
I drove South to North in a stock Subaru Outback on Dec. 29th, 2014 and came out fine.  A few cosmetic scratches on the front bumper and the tailpipe as well as some light desert pinstriping on the brand new vehicle were worth the experience.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
I drove South to North in a stock Subaru Outback on Dec. 29th, 2014 and came out fine.  A few cosmetic scratches on the front bumper and the tailpipe as well as some light desert pinstriping on the brand new vehicle were worth the experience.

Did you manage to get the kayak wet on that trip?  I have three in my backyard that are extremely thirsty at this point...

Offline SureNSteady

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Did you manage to get the kayak wet on that trip?  I have three in my backyard that are extremely thirsty at this point...

Yup..did the Santa Elena canyon upstream to Fern Valley and back (about 5 miles one way).  Could have also floated up through Mariscal Canyon from Solis, but I didn't know that until it was too late.  Castalon gauge was 3.5 ft and about 175cfs.  I had a couple of spots where it was too shallow to paddle and I had to get out and pull the yak 50 feet or so. 

Offline Apache

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »

Good for you man!  Exciting to hear about people actually taking advantage of the utility in a Subaru.  Taking the scratches and experience over the always safe route is worth it. 

And thumbs up for the kayaking as well, may bring mine and do those couple of trips you mentioned sometime.
- Tim

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »

Yup..did the Santa Elena canyon upstream to Fern Valley and back (about 5 miles one way).  Could have also floated up through Mariscal Canyon from Solis, but I didn't know that until it was too late.  Castalon gauge was 3.5 ft and about 175cfs.  I had a couple of spots where it was too shallow to paddle and I had to get out and pull the yak 50 feet or so. 

That is awesome.  Thanks for posting the videos.  We floated Santa Elena in rafts during college many moons ago.  Now my kids are in college and they want to make the trip.  Thanks for the nudge!

Offline SureNSteady

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 08:39:12 AM »

Good for you man!  Exciting to hear about people actually taking advantage of the utility in a Subaru.  Taking the scratches and experience over the always safe route is worth it. 

And thumbs up for the kayaking as well, may bring mine and do those couple of trips you mentioned sometime.

Definitely need low water to paddle upstream.  It was 3.5ft and 175cfs at Castalon gauge on the day I went.. I'd estimate it would still be navigable all the way up to about 250-300cfs.  Anything below 150cfs would likely be a walk and drag most of the way.  I'd love to go farther, but the rockfall area about 7 miles in would stymie me.  It would be a hard portage (my kayak is a flat water 14').  An overnight on a sandbar up there would be killer though!

Sorry all if this got a bit off-topic. :eusa_angel:

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »
"The Pinch"  isn't nearly as bad ad it used to be.  It used to have a foot or so drop off at times.   Sometimes you have to get out and rebuild the ramp with rocks.

The journey down black gap into the flats from Glenn Springs has given my ass cheeks a work out a time or two.  Once I went down and the road had a good 2 foot wide erosion gap going across the road and down the other side.  Had to straddle the edge of the cliff on the right side and pitch my jeep a few degrees to get around it.  Of course, that's when they started "unmaintaining" it.

www.virtualbigbend. com - now mobile friendly!

Offline Apache

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »

Definitely need low water to paddle upstream.  It was 3.5ft and 175cfs at Castalon gauge on the day I went.. I'd estimate it would still be navigable all the way up to about 250-300cfs.  Anything below 150cfs would likely be a walk and drag most of the way.  I'd love to go farther, but the rockfall area about 7 miles in would stymie me.  It would be a hard portage (my kayak is a flat water 14').  An overnight on a sandbar up there would be killer though!

Sorry all if this got a bit off-topic. :eusa_angel:

It's all good man, thanks for the info - I had never even thought about doing something like that.  I've got an 11.5 ft sit on, and don't really want to drive all the way to BiBe with it but paddling up Santa Elena a ways would make it worth it.
- Tim

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
"The Pinch"  isn't nearly as bad ad it used to be.  It used to have a foot or so drop off at times.   Sometimes you have to get out and rebuild the ramp with rocks.

The journey down black gap into the flats from Glenn Springs has given my ass cheeks a work out a time or two.  Once I went down and the road had a good 2 foot wide erosion gap going across the road and down the other side.  Had to straddle the edge of the cliff on the right side and pitch my jeep a few degrees to get around it.  Of course, that's when they started "unmaintaining" it.

www.virtualbigbend. com - now mobile friendly!

Yeah, was hoping to see what it was like before... and I've felt the same way on the way from Glenn Springs - that's what's in the video I posted a few posts above (reply #19) (but probably too shaky to see very well)

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »
Howdy folks, I have a 3 part video from the North end of Black Gap to the south end.
I shot it with a new go pro and when I edited the video, I put it on 2x speed for time constraints.
Part 1

Part2

Part 3

I didn't realize I was at the pinch until I'd driven right up to it, then I noticed the cement. The FJ went right up and over it.
What an amazing park and experience I had while there. I can't wait to visit again!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!