Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Black Gap Roadd Inquiry...

• 40 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Black Gap Roadd Inquiry...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »
Wait....I do remember denting my catalytic converter on Black Gap once in my old Jeep Commander because I bottomed out on a deep rut in the road.   Caused lots of emissions issues.   (The computer didn't like the readings it was getting from the O sensor. I ended up getting a street illegal fix.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »

My FJ isnít an extreme offroad machine or anything, but I do have E range tires and some nice suspension with good ground clearance.

I'm sorry, but your FJ is an extreme off roader!  That's a 2013 TTE, my friend.
I should know, I have a 2013 Quicksand, E Rated tires and a Toytec Boss suspension.
You've got a nice rig!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Online JordanFiveOh

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »

My FJ isnít an extreme offroad machine or anything, but I do have E range tires and some nice suspension with good ground clearance.

I'm sorry, but your FJ is an extreme off roader!  That's a 2013 TTE, my friend.
I should know, I have a 2013 Quicksand, E Rated tires and a Toytec Boss suspension.
You've got a nice rig!

So much for my modesty!

I have Icons on the front of mine with their rear springs and I do love it. Also, this was me on the cover of your FB group a few months ago, remember?

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
I do remember now!  (Old age, you know.  lol)
I'm heading back to Big Bend at the end of December. I'm starting to put a rough itinerary together.  I've got at least one couple that has never been out that way, so I want to include Black Gap and Old Ore road.  My main focus is to finally make it to Casa Ramon in the State park.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline pakiheart

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 04:59:17 PM »
New here and new to off roading :)

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser with AT tires

I was planning on doing the ore road --> River Road East --> Black Gap --> Glen Springs....

I have 0 experience in off roading, should i attempt this?  Also is this doable in one day?

Thank You,

Online The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »
New here and new to off roading :)

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser with AT tires

I was planning on doing the ore road --> River Road East --> Black Gap --> Glen Springs....

I have 0 experience in off roading, should i attempt this?  Also is this doable in one day?

Thank You,

You should be fine, just keep it slow and watch the tricky parts. for the most part there are just a few sections that would be considered hairy. Plan on a full day so start early and enjoy

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
Bring a tire plug kit, a compressor and know how to use it.

sent from my Note 8 using the Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
That is easily doable in a day. You can take a lunch break at Mariscal Mine and walk around to check out the ruins.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
While you might be able to do all those roads in a day, you would have to push really hard, no matter what time you start. Much better to take two days, the Old Ore road with stops, and you should stop, takes all day.  Twenty six miles at 5 to 10 mph.
The other loop will also take most of the day, Mariscal Mine should be added, as long as your are close anyway.
Do the Old Ore Rd first, it'll give you a good feel for the off road mind set, go slow, creep along, it's easier on you and your vehicle. The OOR is an excellent trainer road, it'll build your confidence in yourself and your truck.
Black Gap as second day off road could be quite a leap, it's a much tougher road. That first drop down into the arroyo at the south end, gave me pause. I have 11.5 inches of ground clearance, I needed all of it in a couple of places. There are some scary looking spots on Black Gap, once you do them you realize, they are not so scary. Still Black Gap is not to be underestimated.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 07:44:24 PM »
Jim is right. I missed that you were doing Old Ore Rd also. Take it slow over two days and get out to walk around often. There is more to see in the Bend from outside the truck.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
Save yourself the trouble and unbolt those step boards, and leave them at home.

The best thing for a noobie is to have a spotter.  If it is your old lady, be very patient.  Make sure you both KNOW the hand signs and specific words.  Wheeling angry has been known to break up marriages or can even ruin the "together time".

Start with Glenn Springs.  From the north end.  Drive up to Pine Canyon.  There is one spot in the road right at Pine Canyon campsite #2 that will give you a nice starter hole dug out by lame ass 2 wheel drive cars that you can drive through.  Nothing your Cruiser will even pause at.  After Pine, drive all the way up to Juniper trail head and take a look around.  Want more?  Drive down to Glenn Springs but don't do Black Gap yet.  Save it for the last trail of the trip.  Continue down to River road, and head out to Rio Grande village for a long day of exploring. 

Next step in difficulty is Old Ore.  Lastly is Black Gap from Glenn Springs.  Not an efficient route to hit all three, but that is the order in difficulty.

Don't air down so much to make your sidewalls pooch out.  That is for slick rock in Utah.  If you air down on ranch roads like in BB, the sidewalls pooch too much and can be easily cut by sharp rocks.  Sidewalls are the thinnest part of the exposed tire.

Lastly, no need for LOW until you notice the car does not speed up immediately when you push on the accelerator.  Happy Trails and welcome to the money draining obsession of 4 wheeling.  And yes, you need a lift and bigger tires   :eusa_angel:
First Russian Collusion, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No evidence, just more secret investigations and Shifty lies perpetuating insane blinding anger

America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 09:10:54 PM »
Great advice,  Hombre.

sent from my Note 8 using the Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline pakiheart

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 09:19:31 PM »
thank you everyone for all the great advice
any ideas on tire pressure i should use?

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
Re: Black Gap Road Inquiry...
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
So if I am mapping this out correctly in my head - "the pinch" is the same thing as "the step"...and if you travel north to south drop down "the pinch". And if you travel south to north - you step UP "the pinch"

Correct?

I think this was answered but just to be clear, ...

No, not correct, just the opposite. Going south to north is a drop in the pinch, and going north to south (as in the video on post reply#1 in this thread, going north to south) is a climb up the step.

I hope i'm not ...
Fort Worth

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
thank you everyone for all the great advice
any ideas on tire pressure i should use?

Your normal pressure is fine. None of these roads rank as difficult, despite what the NPS says. On a scale of 1 to 10 for 4WD roughness/challenge (compared to real 4WD country) the park roads rate less than zero. It is possible to get stuck, but you have to work real hard to do so.

You don't need to air down; you probably won't need 4LO (though it will make creeping over the "horrendous and tough", not!, Black Gap step/pinch easier. But, before you get too wild, try out your 4LO on a flat gravel road to get a feel for the extremely low gearing compared to high range. Don't over-rev your engine and don't expect much in the way of speed (read the owner's manual; it is possible to exceed red line if careless); 4LO=SLOW. I never cease to be amazed at 4WD operators who really don't understand how to use that range.

Since you say you are new to this, the two things to keep in mind:

a) Speed damages vehicles, so take your time. Driving at whatever slow speed is necessary for conditions is still way faster than walking out to find a tow truck.
b) Do not spin your tires. If you slip look at what you are doing and use 4WD. If you go north to south on both the Old Ore Rd and Glenn Springs/Black Gap, you are mostly going downhill, for which less skill is needed. Just don't get cocky and let your speed get up.

As noted elsewhere, you need a good spare (and a jack and lug wrench...don't be like some who get stranded in the desert because they didn't have all the parts needed to change a tire). A quality tire plug kit and pump/compressor are highly recommended. If you take your time and drive carefully, those items just will be taking up space rather than being needed. Be sure to carry adequate food/water/supplies that will get you through at least a day and night.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!