Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Black Gap Roadd Inquiry...

• 40 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Black Gap Roadd Inquiry...
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »

Your normal pressure is fine.

Agreed.  I never air down in Big Bend.  Just run whatever psi is stated on the sticker inside the driver's door jam.

The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.

Google    "The Good Censor"

May God bless America

Offline pakiheart

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
thank you everyone for all the great advice
any ideas on tire pressure i should use?

Your normal pressure is fine. None of these roads rank as difficult, despite what the NPS says. On a scale of 1 to 10 for 4WD roughness/challenge (compared to real 4WD country) the park roads rate less than zero. It is possible to get stuck, but you have to work real hard to do so.

You don't need to air down; you probably won't need 4LO (though it will make creeping over the "horrendous and tough", not!, Black Gap step/pinch easier. But, before you get too wild, try out your 4LO on a flat gravel road to get a feel for the extremely low gearing compared to high range. Don't over-rev your engine and don't expect much in the way of speed (read the owner's manual; it is possible to exceed red line if careless); 4LO=SLOW. I never cease to be amazed at 4WD operators who really don't understand how to use that range.

Since you say you are new to this, the two things to keep in mind:

a) Speed damages vehicles, so take your time. Driving at whatever slow speed is necessary for conditions is still way faster than walking out to find a tow truck.
b) Do not spin your tires. If you slip look at what you are doing and use 4WD. If you go north to south on both the Old Ore Rd and Glenn Springs/Black Gap, you are mostly going downhill, for which less skill is needed. Just don't get cocky and let your speed get up.

As noted elsewhere, you need a good spare (and a jack and lug wrench...don't be like some who get stranded in the desert because they didn't have all the parts needed to change a tire). A quality tire plug kit and pump/compressor are highly recommended. If you take your time and drive carefully, those items just will be taking up space rather than being needed. Be sure to carry adequate food/water/supplies that will get you through at least a day and night.

Thank you sir

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
New here and new to off roading :)

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser with AT tires

I was planning on doing the ore road --> River Road East --> Black Gap --> Glen Springs....

I have 0 experience in off roading, should i attempt this?  Also is this doable in one day?

Thank You,
Where abouts are you located?  I'm in the DFW area myself.
I'd be happy to get together with you and wheel. I've taken a few beginer groups out to Bridgeport (Northwest OHV Park) and to Gilmer, Tx. (Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area)
Also, in about 3 weeks is the Lonestar Toyota Jamboree in Gilmer.
It's the biggest Toyota Offroad even in the country, at the moment.  It is tons of fun for beginners and old timers, alike.
https://www.lonestartoyotajamboree.com/

Reach out to me if I can help out.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
You don't "have" to air down, but your back, neck and kidneys might be happier if you do.
While I was driving on Glenn Springs to Black Gap, our leader had a bit of a lead foot and I finally made her stop so I could air down.
It is much better that way, no matter how fast you go.  Your suspension is designed to work in conjunction with your aired down tires, to provide a great ride.

So to answer your question, I went down to 18psi from 38psi.  I had Nitto Trail Grapplers which were "E" rated M/T tires.
Your A/T tires should be fine if they are "C" rated and above.  Don't get cocky though, drive carefully to minimize punctures and have a spare and plug kit. 
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »

Your normal pressure is fine. None of these roads rank as difficult, despite what the NPS says. On a scale of 1 to 10 for 4WD roughness/challenge (compared to real 4WD country) the park roads rate less than zero. It is possible to get stuck, but you have to work real hard to do so.

You don't need to air down; you probably won't need 4LO (though it will make creeping over the "horrendous and tough", not!, Black Gap step/pinch easier. But, before you get too wild, try out your 4LO on a flat gravel road to get a feel for the extremely low gearing compared to high range. Don't over-rev your engine and don't expect much in the way of speed (read the owner's manual; it is possible to exceed red line if careless); 4LO=SLOW. I never cease to be amazed at 4WD operators who really don't understand how to use that range.

Since you say you are new to this, the two things to keep in mind:

a) Speed damages vehicles, so take your time. Driving at whatever slow speed is necessary for conditions is still way faster than walking out to find a tow truck.
b) Do not spin your tires. If you slip look at what you are doing and use 4WD. If you go north to south on both the Old Ore Rd and Glenn Springs/Black Gap, you are mostly going downhill, for which less skill is needed. Just don't get cocky and let your speed get up.

As noted elsewhere, you need a good spare (and a jack and lug wrench...don't be like some who get stranded in the desert because they didn't have all the parts needed to change a tire). A quality tire plug kit and pump/compressor are highly recommended. If you take your time and drive carefully, those items just will be taking up space rather than being needed. Be sure to carry adequate food/water/supplies that will get you through at least a day and night.

^^^^^^^^
What he said.   :afro:
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline JordanFiveOh

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 02:43:29 PM »
You don't "have" to air down, but your back, neck and kidneys might be happier if you do.
While I was driving on Glenn Springs to Black Gap, our leader had a bit of a lead foot and I finally made her stop so I could air down.
It is much better that way, no matter how fast you go.  Your suspension is designed to work in conjunction with your aired down tires, to provide a great ride.

So to answer your question, I went down to 18psi from 38psi.  I had Nitto Trail Grapplers which were "E" rated M/T tires.
Your A/T tires should be fine if they are "C" rated and above.  Don't get cocky though, drive carefully to minimize punctures and have a spare and plug kit.

Absolutely this. Airing down makes the ride fantastic, especially at quicker speeds.

I have the suspension to handle quicker speeds, and airing down makes the bumps just about disappear.

Offline pakiheart

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »
New here and new to off roading :)

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser with AT tires

I was planning on doing the ore road --> River Road East --> Black Gap --> Glen Springs....

I have 0 experience in off roading, should i attempt this?  Also is this doable in one day?

Thank You,
Where abouts are you located?  I'm in the DFW area myself.
I'd be happy to get together with you and wheel. I've taken a few beginer groups out to Bridgeport (Northwest OHV Park) and to Gilmer, Tx. (Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area)
Also, in about 3 weeks is the Lonestar Toyota Jamboree in Gilmer.
It's the biggest Toyota Offroad even in the country, at the moment.  It is tons of fun for beginners and old timers, alike.
https://www.lonestartoyotajamboree.com/

Reach out to me if I can help out.

Thank you for the advice, i am located in Austin

Offline pakiheart

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »

Thanks for the help

Offline fullmetaljacket6793

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 07:03:49 AM »
I did it in a 1994 chevy k2500 suburban with a 2 inch suspension lift with no problems. I did have a Detroit locker in the rear and a ARB locker in the front. I do think you will be fine since i didnt bottom out or even engage my front locker. So if you have a rear locker or even a good limited slip you should be fine. Just let someone know what your doing and where you will be and take a ton of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 03:55:56 PM »

Thank you for the advice, i am located in Austin

If you are on facebook, there are groups you can join on there.
Texas Overland is a GREAT group on facebook, do a search for Austin Land Cruisers.

You have a great Offroad park near you called Hidden Falls Offroad Park, there are groups going there all the time.
Most folks are happy to show you the ropes about off roading, if they aren't, they aren't worth wheeling with anyway.
Next year is the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree in May, consider coming to that event. It is WELL worth it.  :)
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!