Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Car Battery

• 29 Replies

Offline cjacob

• Diamondback
Car Battery
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »
So,  I have had a wonderful time this weekend looking for a battery for my Range Rover.  I was left stranded in Austin for 3 days looking for a Battery with 900+ Clod Cranking Amps.  When was the last time you replaced your Battery?  I know I would be SOL if in a remote part of the park and it left me high and dry.  We talk about Tires here but yet to see a battery post. 

I replaced it with a Yellow Optima Deap Cycle Batter with 950 CCA.  It was almost 60lbs.  I hope now I am never left standed in the middle of noware for a battery.  My Battery that died was a 14 month old interstate battery with 900+ CCA.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Car Battery
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »
Back in August of 2004, I was with a friend of mine and his sons.  He had an old ford pickup and I had my jeep.  Just as we were ready to depart our campsite at Glenn Spring 2, his battery died.  Lucky for him, I had my Jeep. So we left the boys for a little while, while we went to the Gas Station at PJ.  Lucky for him again, they had his battery.

Unfortunately, these days, you won't find a battery at PJ anymore  :eusa_naughty:

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »
My friend Grant and I killed his battery accidentally camping at Fresno once.  We left the radio on or something when we went to bed the night before.   :icon_redface:
Weren't able to get a jump until the next day around Noon.  My next trip to Fresno, I was so paranoid about this I brought a spare battery. 
WATER, It does a body good.

SHANEA

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »
If I recall correctly, BDANN had problems with batteries out near the mine not long ago.  I forget what the exact circumstances were, etc. 

I'm skeptical of those battery jumper things that are supposidly able to start your car.   A Hyndai maybe.  I'm just not sure how much true cranking power they have for a big gas guzzling vehicle.  I'd like to hear reports.  Some of the units they are are really pretty inexpensive and I'd get one, it it would work worth a darn.  I'm just concerned how well it would work on a really cold day out in the vastness. 

Offline westtex

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »
I have had to push start my standard pickup before on the backroads.  I would be SOL if it happened when I was alone.

ShaneA: are you talking about the heavy battery like things that are supposed to jump your car all by itself?  Or are you a skeptic of the jumper cables in general?
resist much, obey little

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
I have had to push start my standard pickup before on the backroads.  I would be SOL if it happened when I was alone.

ShaneA: are you talking about the heavy battery like things that are supposed to jump your car all by itself?  Or are you a skeptic of the jumper cables in general?

jumper packs.

they make enormous heavy duty version, and a small portable one. we used the portable one quite often on the used car lot, it seems to work just fine. the only thing it had problems with was a cummins equipped truck  :eusa_doh:

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 05:48:31 PM »
Run dual battery on F-350 not sure if the little portable will crank the diesel if both are dead.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »
Being proactive is the best bet.....

Get your battery load tested and replace it if it is marginal.

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »
I have had to push start my standard pickup before on the backroads.

yet another fine example of having a standard tranny  :azn:

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 06:19:22 PM »
I have had to push start my standard pickup before on the backroads.

yet another fine example of having a standard tranny  :azn:

Yup, just as long as the battery isn't completely dead.  If it is, with modern electronic computer managed engines, unfortunately, sometimes push starting a vehicle with a manual transmission doesn't even work. Been there and had that happen.  I was depressed.  Had to wait to get a jump.

Al

SHANEA

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »

:azn:  I carry a pair of jumper cables with me.  I'm more sketical about the heavy battery things.....  I'd like to hear some first hand reports and the links to a suggested model with price.   :azn:

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »
4 years ago, Fresno campsite, dead battery, no fun.  actually, it was fun.  I'd rather be stuck at Fresno with a dead battery than sitting here typing on a computer! (at least until the food & water runs out!)  It's just a weird feeling when you suddenly know that your transportation is dead and you haven't seen another vehicle in about 24 hours.  (we had tons of food and water)

The guy that gave us a jump actually had one of those portable jump start things....it didn't work. 
WATER, It does a body good.

SHANEA

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »
The guy that gave us a jump actually had one of those portable jump start things....it didn't work. 

Ah ha....   :eusa_boohoo:

Offline uh_clem

• Texas Banded Gecko
  • Black Bear
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 10:03:40 PM »
 I have one of the portable battery packs. I've used it a few times and it worked fine.
I'll be the jump start for the car parked in your mind, 'Cause you left the lights on all night long.

SHANEA

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:48 PM »
I have one of the portable battery packs. I've used it a few times and it worked fine.

Which one?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!