Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Chispa Road?

• 8 Replies

Offline tft

• Kangaroo Rat
Chispa Road?
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »
I am trying to get any info on Chispa Rd. I want to ride it from Candelaria west/north up toward 2017 and 90.
Im getting confusing reports on if its a private road outside of Candelaria. I've got tracks but I've no idea if its on private land or not.
According to the tx dot maps it seems there is a road, although I'm also seeing there are locked gates?

Offline tft

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Chispa Road?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:41:56 PM »
I did read that report but itís from 2008. Didnít know if something changed.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 06:41:48 PM »
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 07:58:21 AM »
A month or so ago, I got to hang out with one of the guys from Texas Backroad Borders. He stated that the road does cross some private property, but that it's mainly a right of way for other ranches along that road.  At the time they filmed their series, he had contacted the owners for permission to use it.
His impression after speaking with them was that they didn't mind folks using the road, as long as they didn't disrespect the land.
If you see a no trespassing sign, heed it. Purple painted posts are also considered "Do not Trespass".
If you come to a closed gate, make sure you close it behind you, if it's open, leave it open.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline tft

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 02:03:49 PM »
A month or so ago, I got to hang out with one of the guys from Texas Backroad Borders. He stated that the road does cross some private property, but that it's mainly a right of way for other ranches along that road.  At the time they filmed their series, he had contacted the owners for permission to use it.
His impression after speaking with them was that they didn't mind folks using the road, as long as they didn't disrespect the land.
If you see a no trespassing sign, heed it. Purple painted posts are also considered "Do not Trespass".
If you come to a closed gate, make sure you close it behind you, if it's open, leave it open.

Yes, that is my understanding as well. It is listed as a public road on the txdot maps. I think people are getting lost crossing the wrong gates or cattle guards onto private property and that is where the no trespassing and locked gate reports are coming in. I have plotted gps tracks verifying them against the txdot maps. We will see if my nav skills are any good in a few months.
Thanks for the post!

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 01:14:18 PM »

Yes, that is my understanding as well. It is listed as a public road on the txdot maps. I think people are getting lost crossing the wrong gates or cattle guards onto private property and that is where the no trespassing and locked gate reports are coming in. I have plotted gps tracks verifying them against the txdot maps. We will see if my nav skills are any good in a few months.
Thanks for the post!
I've been slowly doing that too.  I started out on Google earth and exported to Gaia Maps.  Somewhere along the line I lost or deleted the tracks I had, so it will give me something to do on slow days at work, lol.
Just make sure you share the photos and video's of your adventure here, please.   :great:

PS: if you are on facebook, there is a group called "Texas Overland" which is a great resource for GPS files and knowledge.
The guys in the video are part of that group.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline tft

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »

Thanks for the post!
I've been slowly doing that too.  I started out on Google earth and exported to Gaia Maps.  Somewhere along the line I lost or deleted the tracks I had, so it will give me something to do on slow days at work, lol.
Just make sure you share the photos and video's of your adventure here, please.   :great:

PS: if you are on facebook, there is a group called "Texas Overland" which is a great resource for GPS files and knowledge.
The guys in the video are part of that group.

Maybe this will help.
https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?loc=8.6/-104.0603/30.1169&popupLoc=-104.37849/30.15236&pubLink=7Gf5An9bpBFeh13jJqXtwLmk&trackId=201f25e9-5893-4993-8b77-f99eeccc88e3

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
Awesome, thanks! :great:
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!